Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,708 Members 53,165 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] WIFI roaming with Note 2

Tip us?

erkme73
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default [Q] WIFI roaming with Note 2

My apologies if this is a dead horse, but with the subject terms in the search box, I get overwhelmed with unrelated results.

Has anyone figured out a way to force the Note 2 to switch between access points? I have two APs which have identical SSID and security settings. The Note 2 shows only a single AP in the WIFI settings, but using apps that show the mac, I can see which on is the active AP.

The problem is, as I walk away from AP1, and the signal drops to well below 50%, and the AP2 signal reaches 100%, the Note 2 stubbornly refuses to let go of AP1. I can be literally be standing beneath AP2 with 100% RSSI strength, and the only way to get the Note 2 to switch is to manually force it to do so.

I've spent the last few hours searching for solutions. Nearly all point to either enterprise-class hardware, or they give up over the fact that roaming aggressiveness is 100% client-based. If the WIFI chipset can't be configured to drop the weaker signal, then no matter what AP hardware combination I have, it won't improve.

Has anyone had luck with this?

For reference, I'm using an Asus RT-N56U (AP1) and an Asus RT-N66U (router/AP2). AP1 is running the Padvin modified stock Asus firmware, and AP2 is running bone stock (though I have tried it with the latest Shibby TomatoUSB 115 AIO firmware).

theinspector
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
My apologies if this is a dead horse, but with the subject terms in the search box, I get overwhelmed with unrelated results.

Has anyone figured out a way to force the Note 2 to switch between access points? I have two APs which have identical SSID and security settings. The Note 2 shows only a single AP in the WIFI settings, but using apps that show the mac, I can see which on is the active AP.

The problem is, as I walk away from AP1, and the signal drops to well below 50%, and the AP2 signal reaches 100%, the Note 2 stubbornly refuses to let go of AP1. I can be literally be standing beneath AP2 with 100% RSSI strength, and the only way to get the Note 2 to switch is to manually force it to do so.

I've spent the last few hours searching for solutions. Nearly all point to either enterprise-class hardware, or they give up over the fact that roaming aggressiveness is 100% client-based. If the WIFI chipset can't be configured to drop the weaker signal, then no matter what AP hardware combination I have, it won't improve.

Has anyone had luck with this?

For reference, I'm using an Asus RT-N56U (AP1) and an Asus RT-N66U (router/AP2). AP1 is running the Padvin modified stock Asus firmware, and AP2 is running bone stock (though I have tried it with the latest Shibby TomatoUSB 115 AIO firmware).

I've had a similar situation, download the app "Best WIFI" from the play store, it will connect you to the wifi with strongest connection! Good luck.

BravoCharlieDelta
Old
Thanks Meter 1
i have a similar router setup to yours.
Just a FYI... No matter what app I installed, "wifi seamless roaming" never worked on my Note 2. So, if i were on a skype / viber call, the call would get disconnected when the AP switched.