Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,420 Members 37,480 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Successful Root. Did not trip KNOX. On MJ4. Do I OTA Update to 4.4.2? Lose Root?

Tip us?

MrWicked1
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidcruzer View Post
Can you tell us what modem you are using that gives you faster speeds and stronger signal? I was on both stock and multiple custom ROMs of MJ4 and I got way better signal strength and speeds than I do with NAB, and I'm running Sacs NAB ROM. I haven't flashed any other mod either, it's just Sacs. I was thinking of doing Carbon's AOSP ROM and seeing if I can get stock samsung apps (like camera, TW, just the basics, no bloatware) to work. I just personally like TW and like the features that the camera has (even though I've never, even out of the box, been able to get drama to work). I love the speed of AOSP and the minimal disk footprint, I just prefer some, SOME, of the samsung apps. But my main pain point right now with any NAB (4.4.2) ROM, stock or custom, is my signal got worse. Yes, I work on the Sprint campus so of course my nation wide clear coverage is non-existent (I'm lucky to get two bars of 3G, much less the LTE speed that Verizon or AT&T users ON THE SPRINT CAMPUS get to enjoy, sprint fail, I digress). Anywho, at home when I was on MJ4, I was getting download speeds of 15 Mb and upload speeds of around 6 Mb. Now with NAB I'm getting 5 Mb download speeds and 7.5 Mb upload speeds! Tell me how that works??? Maybe that's why battery life is so good for me, because I'm not connecting to the network so it's not using battery to communicate. I doubt it, but it sounded good at the time. So if you have a modem that you can point me to so I can flash it to get the better signal and speed, I'd be really appreciative.
Unfortunately I don't have a answer for you I'm on the NAB modem also, one thing I just wanted to throw out there is modems always vary on location. And for some reason we don't have any modem options like previous phones I had the S4...Epic 4g touch....all had different modems with different releases so we were always able to flash different ones to find out works best for each individual. The only thing I would say to try is check make sure you have the latest prl.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900P(Sprint)
Bootloader: Nab Engineering
Rom: Sacs KitKat v2

Past: Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S2SII(Epic 4g Touch), Htc Evo 4g, Htc Hero, Blackberry 8330 Curve

droidcruzer
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWicked1 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have a answer for you I'm on the NAB modem also, one thing I just wanted to throw out there is modems always vary on location. And for some reason we don't have any modem options like previous phones I had the S4...Epic 4g touch....all had different modems with different releases so we were always able to flash different ones to find out works best for each individual. The only thing I would say to try is check make sure you have the latest prl.
I do agree that different locations cause different results. My thought though is that my phone would be hitting the same radio towers as before. I don't think there has been an update to the tower radios, meaning LTE is LTE. What leads me to think it's not the towers is when I was on MJ4, I got great signal and then right after I flashed I immediately saw the degradation, I'm pretty confident that no hardware changes happened within that 10 minutes. Updating the PRL would just wipe out my phone's "favorite" towers. So it would force my phone to "re-authenticate" to the same towers that I already hit while on MJ4. That's my thoughts though, I could be totally wrong as I don't fully understand what all goes in to the phone radio communicating with the towers, I only know what hardware changes are or are not happening with the network.

MrWicked1
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I do agree that different locations cause different results. My thought though is that my phone would be hitting the same radio towers as before. I don't think there has been an update to the tower radios, meaning LTE is LTE. What leads me to think it's not the towers is when I was on MJ4, I got great signal and then right after I flashed I immediately saw the degradation, I'm pretty confident that no hardware changes happened within that 10 minutes. Updating the PRL would just wipe out my phone's "favorite" towers. So it would force my phone to "re-authenticate" to the same towers that I already hit while on MJ4. That's my thoughts though, I could be totally wrong as I don't fully understand what all goes in to the phone radio communicating with the towers, I only know what hardware changes are or are not happening with the network.

You are probably right, sounds logical I don't personally know either. All I could do is give you what my next option would be I don't really know what else to say. But I definitely agree with you.

Past: Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S2SII(Epic 4g Touch), Htc Evo 4g, Htc Hero, Blackberry 8330 Curve

droidcruzer
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWicked1 View Post
You are probably right, sounds logical I don't personally know either. All I could do is give you what my next option would be I don't really know what else to say. But I definitely agree with you.
Oh I appreciate any and all help. Even in stating what you did you may have said something that triggered a thought process that I haven't explored yet. So never be afraid to "state the obvious" (for lack of a better term) to me. I'll never take it as a negative. Hell, there will also be times that I haven't tried the obvious just because my brain is searching for a more complex solution when it could be as easy as "did you turn on WiFi?" lol

MrWicked1
Old
Thanks Meter 108

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Oh I appreciate any and all help. Even in stating what you did you may have said something that triggered a thought process that I haven't explored yet. So never be afraid to "state the obvious" (for lack of a better term) to me. I'll never take it as a negative. Hell, there will also be times that I haven't tried the obvious just because my brain is searching for a more complex solution when it could be as easy as "did you turn on WiFi?" lol

I've been there done that lol