Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,818 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Gmail no longer opening .xsls?

Tip us?

tmb993
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Default [Q] Gmail no longer opening .xsls?

For the past year or so I've been using my gmail app on my phone to receive and edit .xsls files for work. All of the sudden I can no longer open them. When I select the attachted file it prompts me to chose from a selection of irrelevant apps to open the file. I've even downloaded specific apps; in addition to Polaris Office 5 which is what the Note 3 comes with and what, up until now, has been used to open these files with, and none of them will show up in the selection of apps to open the file with. Also, when trying to manually browse the file into the specific application it is now found among my downloaded apps. I'm not sure this is relevant, but its worth noting that I can no longer open these file types from the gmail webpage on my computer either. So I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies, I'm just hoping for some insight, if any would be willing to offer it.

Thanks in advance.

Sent From My AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

slimslim
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Mine opens automatically in Quickoffice, but only . xls, didn't try .xsls files. Download Quickoffice by Google

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A
========================

tmb993
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimslim View Post
Mine opens automatically in Quickoffice, but only . xls, didn't try .xsls files. Download Quickoffice by Google

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A
That's actually one of the applications I tried that didn't work :/

tmb993
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
And just in case you guys couldn't figure it out, I meant .xlsx format, not .xsls.

DrAzzy
Old
Thanks Meter 23
GMail cannot open .xlsx, and I don't think it's ever been able to.

However, on a stock Note 3, you can open .xlsx from within gmail and via other methods - using Polaris Office. By default, gmail will use that to open .xlsx files on the Note 3. Note that when you open from gmail, and then hold home to get the task manager, it shows that window as being gmail, not polaris.

My guess is that you removed or froze Polaris Office. Put it back or defrost it, and see if it works.

tmb993
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAzzy View Post
GMail cannot open .xlsx, and I don't think it's ever been able to.

However, on a stock Note 3, you can open .xlsx from within gmail and via other methods - using Polaris Office. By default, gmail will use that to open .xlsx files on the Note 3. Note that when you open from gmail, and then hold home to get the task manager, it shows that window as being gmail, not polaris.

My guess is that you removed or froze Polaris Office. Put it back or defrost it, and see if it works.
I've been opening them via Polaris office for some time now and all the sudden it won't any more. I have the Polaris app running and everything. When I click on the attached file it gives me the option to open it using S Note, Nova Launcher and a couple other apps that can't read files. I don't get what the issue is. I have a few apps downloaded that are supposed to be able to read .xlsx files but it never gives me the option to open the file with those apps.

sp73smith
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Have you tried docs to go? That app works for me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tmb993
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
I downloaded the file from the website version of gmail and I think the problem is that the files are downloading as .bin files and not as what they are being sent to me as. Any ideas as to why that would happen?