XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SD Card errors

Tip us?

OversizedBass
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default SD Card errors

Starting yesterday, I've been getting a popup that says "sd card unexpectedly removed" on my incredible s (stock 4.0.4, sense 3.6) even though I haven't taken the card out. I've found that this is only when putting the back cover of the phone on, it works fine with the cover off. I've tried reformatting both on the phone and on a computer, and the card works fine copying data between my two computers and even another phone. Any idea as to whats going on? It doesn't make sense that it's a bad card because it works fine everywhere else.

DeBored
Old
Thanks Meter 11
maybe try reset to factory defaults your phone, in my case after reset it works fine

OversizedBass
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBored View Post
maybe try reset to factory defaults your phone, in my case after reset it works fine
Just tried, its still not working

DeBored
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OversizedBass View Post
Just tried, its still not working
If you try your card plug to PC via cardreader? Maybe try copy all data from card to pc and format it?

OversizedBass
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I tried formatting on my pc multiple times and it still isn't working. Interestingly enough it worked for a day or two and just started up again

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using xda app-developers app

crownblaze
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Same problem here

Sent from my Incredible S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mskwang
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default SD Card Errors

I have the same sd card problem on HTC incredible S for months. I remember seeing someone suggest lifting the two pins up a bit at the back of the phone. I tried all four pins that I can see that but still not successful. Before S-off and after S-off, also see the issue.Tried different ROMS, VivoKat, Revolution-HD, also not successful. Flashed my radio to the current version, also see the same issue.

If I do not closed the back cover of the phone, it did not removed the sd card, though the signal strength for the radio drops drastically.

What are the pins at the back of the phone meant for? When we put on the back cover, aren't we shorting (1) shorting the pins at the side of the rear camera, (2) shorting the pins at the bottom near the sd card. Or should they be shorted?

What is the function of the phone back cover? Ground Plane? Attenna and/or sd card on/off switch? Is there something we need to do to the back cover for the sd card to function properly? Or is it shorting the SD card that forces it to eject? Should we snip away the plastic metalized pins at the back and solder a short wire shorting the pins? Maybe one pin must touch the back cover while the other one should not?

At this moment, I still cannot differentiate whether it is a hardware/software/firmware issue. Any help is appreciated.

Right now using
HTC Incredible S
Android version: 4.0.4
HTC Sense version: 3.6
Software Number: Android Revolution HD 6.0 by mike 1986
Kernel Version:
3.0.16-g271fd09
htc-kernel@u18000-build-144#1
PREEMPT
Baseband - 20.76.30.0835U_3831.19.00.19_M
Build no: 4.14.405.2.CL408426 release-keys
Browser version: WebKit/534.30

mskwang
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Think I figure out but need other people to confirm the method.

1. The two pins at the bottom near the sd card is meant for antenna, putting the back cover on will increased the signal strength, so they must contact.
2. Put a piece of paper on top of the two pins next to the rear camera before putting the back cover on. This will block the pins and prevent them shorting with the back cover, thus preventing the sd card from being removed. Well, I still do not know the function of these top two pins. It may be meant for detecting shock when the phone hits against something.

It has been hours and still the sd card is functioning well. I think this will solve the mystery for many people.

Hope it helps.

mskwang
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My Bad. The method does not work. SD card issue again.