5,596,128 Members 33,459 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Allview P6 Quad

Tip us?

viliam.pucik
Old
(Last edited by viliam.pucik; 23rd December 2013 at 09:43 AM.) Reason: Added MIUI ROM
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Phone [GUIDE] Allview P6 Quad

Allview P6 Quad (Romania) is a dual SIM phone based on MTK6589 chipset running Android 4.1.2. It is actually a clone of Gionee Dream D1 / GN878 (China) also know as Fly IQ444 Quattro / Diamond 2 (Russia) or Walton Primo X1 (India).

Click image for larger version

Name:	allview-p6-quad.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	2463682

1. Setup

All the below described activities such as backing up, flashing and rooting require the PC is able to recognize and communicate with the phone. In case of Windows this is achieved by installing Gionee MTK USB driver, see Software section. Backing up and rooting also require USB debugging enabled on the phone via System settings -> Developer options -> USB debugging:

2. Backing Up

It is highly advised to create an initial ROM backup by MTK Droid Tools before doing any phone modifications.
  1. Make sure Gionee MTK USB driver has been installed and the phone is powered up with USB debugging enabled and connected to the PC.
  2. Run MTKdroidTools.exe.
  3. In case the phone has not been rooted yet then press ROOT button and after an access to the phone is successfully obtained the application automatically offers initial backup option. Otherwise press Backup button in root, backup and recovery tab to start the backup manually.
  4. After couple of minutes backup files are placed into backup directory.

3. Flashing

Restoring a custom, stock or any ROM for MTK based devices can be done by SP Flash Tool, see Software section. The tools works in two modes:
  • Download: A little bit misleading name as it actually does ROM upload. For partial or complete ROM flashing of the same Android version. Useful for restoring the base system, user settings, boot logos or installing an alternative recovery (CWM or TWRP) image.
  • Firmware Upgrade: For complete ROM flashing when fixing a completely bricked device or doing Android upgrading or downgrading using stock ROM or one of cloned phone ROMs.
A ROM consists of the following files. Only some of them should be selected for download mode flashing.
  • RELOADER, UBOOT, SECRO: Device and Android version dependent files. Should NOT be selected for download mode flashing as it may brick the device.
  • MBR, EBR1, EBR2: Disk layout information.
  • LOGO: Startup logo and battery charging animation.
  • BOOT: Linux kernel and initial RAM disk partition.
  • RECOVERY: Recovery kernel and initial RAM disk partition.
  • SYSTEM: System files and factory applications.
  • CACHE: Cache of mostly used applications.
  • USERDATA: User settings and non-factory applications, usually downloaded from Google Play Store.
Stock ROM contains only empty CACHE and USERDATA partitions, selecting them will actually clean the cache and user data.

3.1. Flashing - Download Mode
  1. Make sure Gionee MTK USB driver has been installed and the phone is powered DOWN and NOT connected to the PC.
  2. Run Flash_tool.exe.
  3. Enable Options -> USB Mode.
  4. Open File -> Open Scatter-loading File and select MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc_PMT.txt.
  5. Select only the necessary ROM files that should be restored.
  6. Press Download button.
  7. Then connect the powered down phone to the PC.
  8. The tool should automatically detect the phone presence and start firmware flashing.
  9. After couple of seconds a green circle is displayed after the process successfully ends.
3.2. Flashing - Firmware Upgrade Mode
  1. Make sure Gionee MTK USB driver has been installed and the phone is powered DOWN and NOT connected to the PC.
  2. Run Flash_tool.exe.
  3. Enable Options -> USB Mode.
  4. Open File -> Open Scatter-loading File and select MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt.
  5. Select all ROM files for restoration. In case some of them are missing then double click on them and select corresponding files from disk:

Name:	allview-p6-quad-firmware-upgrade.png
Views:	1126
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	2463357
  6. Press Firmware Upgrade button.
  7. Then press and hold VOLUME UP phone button and connect the powered down phone to the PC.
  8. The tool should automatically detect the phone presence and start firmware flashing. VOLUME UP button can be released.
  9. After couple of minutes a green circle is displayed after the process successfully ends.
3.3. Flashing - Firmware Upgrade Mode - MIUI ROM

There is MIUI ROM (alternative Android distribution with beautiful, iOS like user interface) attached in Software section containing all bits and pieces to easy upgrading process from the default Allview Android 4.1 firmware. The ROM integrates:
  • Android 4.2.x ready bootloader and partition layout taken from hardware compatible Walton Primo X1 ROM (http://www.waltonforum.com/index.php/topic,3590.0.html).
  • Original Allview boot logo.
  • Helpful deepak2111's TWRP recovery image.
  • Excellent RickyGoldsmith's MIUI port for hardware compatible Gionee Dream D1 / GN878 phone.
  • Valuable stas2z's OTA patches up to MIUI v3.12.15. The latest v3.12.21 patch was not integrated deliberatively as it causes screen locks during the initial setup wizard screen when the phone is firstly started from factory mode. The patch can be applied separately without any issues after the initial setup wizard is completed.
  • Small modifications of /system/build.prop to enable software keys (qemu.hw.mainkeys=0), preselect English language mutation (instead of Russian), preselect Central European Time zone (instead of Moscow) and change phone model name to Allview P6 Quad (instead of GiONEE Dream D1).
ROM should be flashed using SP Flash Tool running in Firmware Upgrade mode following the steps described in previous section.

Name:	allview-p6-quad-boot-logo.png
Views:	59
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	2469840Click image for larger version

Name:	allview-p6-quad-miui-screen.png
Views:	73
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	2469924Click image for larger version

Name:	allview-p6-quad-miui-version.png
Views:	65
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2469925

4. Rooting

Rooting a phone is enabling root (administrator, superuser) access to the device useful in cases where modifying of protected system files and applications is required. For example this allows Mobile Uncle application to tweak various settings of MTK based devices or allows AdAway application to block advertisement sites.

Android by default does not expose root access so a special exploit for particular Android version needs to be used which achieves user privilege escalation and places su binary and one of superuser management applications such as Superuser (open source) or SuperSU on the device. One of popular exploits which can be used for Android 4.1 is Motochopper, see Software section.
  1. Make sure Gionee MTK USB driver has been installed and the phone is power up with USB debugging enabled and connected to the PC.
  2. Run run.bat (Windows) or run.sh (Linux) to start the rooting.
  3. The phone reboots automatically after the process successfully ends.

5. Booting

The phone supports three booting modes:
  • Normal: Simply by pressing POWER button the device boots into Android.
  • Recovery: Pressing and holding POWER and VOLUME UP buttons for a while enters recovery boot mode enabling backing up and restoring of user settings and cache wiping.
  • Factory: Pressing and holding POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons for a while enters factory boot mode used mainly for running various hardware tests but can be used to recover from "touchscreen not responding" issue.
Long pressing of POWER button acts as a reset and powers down the device gracefully.

6. Theming

The phone comes with several theme skins which change the look of vendor applications such as Phone, Contacts, Messaging, Clock, Calendar, Calculator and others. Theme skins are are ZIP archives with *.gnz suffix located directly in /system/app or in SD card's Theme directory.

To create or modify a theme skin simply download and extract one of vendor provided theme skins. A theme skin archive can optimally contain various application launcher icons, icon backgrounds (located in /others/bottom), mapping files and mandatory since.properties file, which can be empty, and language.properties file which specifies name of the skin and various applications skin properties. In case application specific skin property is missing then system skin property value is used instead. Its value as as well as application skin property value can be one of the followings:
  • 0: Transparent background.
  • 1: White background.
  • 2: Dark background.
There are two custom theme skins linked in Software section: Minimal and Black. Both of them set dark applications skin, do not use any custom application launcher icons or icon backgrounds effectively restoring native applications look. The first skin restores the default phone background, the second one sets a plain black wallpaper.

Name:	allview-p6-quad-theme-minimal.png
Views:	59
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	2465279 Click image for larger version

Name:	allview-p6-quad-theme-black.png
Views:	46
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	2465280

7. GPS

Refresh outdated AGPS (Assisted GPS) caching files and enable EPO (Extended Prediction Orbit) cache to speed up GPS TTFF (Time to First Fix):
  1. Make sure the phone has been rooted and is connected to the Internet.
  2. Install a root file manager such as Root Browser application or use adb shell to remove the following files:
    • /data/misc/ARC.BIN
    • /data/misc/BEE.BIN
    • /data/misc/mtkgps.dat
  3. Install and launch Mobile Uncle application.
  4. Enable EPO via Engineer Mode -> Engineer Mode ( MTK ) -> Location -> Location Based Service -> EPO -> Enable EPO.
  5. Then press EPO button or optionally enable Auto Download option to initiate download of the latest EPO file.
  6. Navigate back to YGPS section as this will initiate AGP cache refreshment.
  7. After couple of seconds a satellite map should display and location fix should arrive:

Name:	allview-p6-quad-ygps.png
Views:	51
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	2463701
  8. At this point connection to Internet can be disabled as all AGPS and EPO caches have been warmed up and GPS can function on its own.

8. Software
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to viliam.pucik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sama7896
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi
Great work here, thank you..
Please tell me.., did you test any of the clone phone roms?
like http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2300818

Thank you

viliam.pucik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks

Yes, I am testing that particular RickyGoldsmith's MIUI ROM - very nice work. It is a little bit tricky to put it on the phone as it is Android 4.2.x based which requires a different bootloader code and partition layout than P6's Android 4.1x default has. Here is how I "managed" to put it on my P6:
  1. Place MIUI42-D1.zip and miui_ota_iq446_stas2z_3.10.4_3.10.12_e3209310ae_4. 2 on SD card upfront.
  2. Download Android 4.2.x based Walton Primo X1 ROM (http://www.waltonforum.com/index.php/topic,3590.0.html).
  3. Replace Primo recovery.bin file with GIONEE_TWRP_2500_42 recovery image (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=43039979).
  4. Optionally replace Primo logo.bin (white background) with Allview logo.bin (black background).
  5. Upgrade the phone with Walton Primo X1 ROM, GIONEE_TWRP_2500_42 recovery image and Allview logo.bin.
  6. After successful flashing boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing POWER+VOLUME UP.
  7. In TWRP install MIUI ZIP archives stored on SD card.
  8. Still in TWRP press Mount and make sure Data and System partitions are checked.
  9. Still in TWRP connect to the phone from PC via adb shell and recreate missing directories:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /data/media/0
    chmod 770 /data/media
    chmod 770 /data/media/0
    chown media_rw:media_rw /data/media
    chown media_rw:media_rw /data/media/0
  10. Enable software keys by editing /system/build.prop and setting qemu.hw.mainkeys=0. For example download the file locally (adb pull /system/build.prop), change it and upload it back (adb push build.prop /system).
  11. Then restart the phone and enjoy MIUI startup
  12. It may take it couple of minutes to finish the initial boot so don't be surprised. The next ones will be faster.
That said still couple of trial and errors might follow to boot into MIUI successfully so a good thing is to have the phone connected to the PC with log running (adb logcat *:W) to see what is failing. Usually wiping Dalvik cache via TWRP and doing couple of more reboots sort things out.

Hope that helps and soon Marry Christmas
The Following User Says Thank You to viliam.pucik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sama7896
Old
(Last edited by sama7896; 22nd December 2013 at 12:40 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by viliam.pucik View Post
Thanks

Yes, I am testing that particular RickyGoldsmith's MIUI ROM - very nice work. It is a little bit tricky to put it on the phone as it is Android 4.2.x based which requires a different bootloader code and partition layout than P6's Android 4.1x default has. Here is how I "managed" to put it on my P6:
  1. Place MIUI42-D1.zip and miui_ota_iq446_stas2z_3.10.4_3.10.12_e3209310ae_4. 2 on SD card upfront.
  2. Download Android 4.2.x based Walton Primo X1 ROM (http://www.waltonforum.com/index.php/topic,3590.0.html).
  3. Replace Primo recovery.bin file with GIONEE_TWRP_2500_42 recovery image (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=43039979).
  4. Optionally replace Primo logo.bin (white background) with Allview logo.bin (black background).
  5. Upgrade the phone with Walton Primo X1 ROM, GIONEE_TWRP_2500_42 recovery image and Allview logo.bin.
  6. After successful flashing boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing POWER+VOLUME UP.
  7. In TWRP install MIUI ZIP archives stored on SD card.
  8. Still in TWRP press Mount and make sure Data and System partitions are checked.
  9. Still in TWRP connect to the phone from PC via adb shell and recreate missing directories:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /data/media/0
    chmod 770 /data/media
    chmod 770 /data/media/0
    chown media_rw:media_rw /data/media
    chown media_rw:media_rw /data/media/0
  10. Enable software keys by editing /system/build.prop and setting qemu.hw.mainkeys=0. For example download the file locally (adb pull /system/build.prop), change it and upload it back (adb push build.prop /system).
  11. Then restart the phone and enjoy MIUI startup
  12. It may take it couple of minutes to finish the initial boot so don't be surprised. The next ones will be faster.
That said still couple of trial and errors might follow to boot into MIUI successfully so a good thing is to have the phone connected to the PC with log running (adb logcat *:W) to see what is failing. Usually wiping Dalvik cache via TWRP and doing couple of more reboots sort things out.

Hope that helps and soon Marry Christmas
Many many many thanks
Can't get this to work...
What scatter file should i load? primo's or allview's ?
Should i hit Download or Firmare upgrade?
Also. What doesthis error mean?

Thanks again for helping me

viliam.pucik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default subject urcharia

I have just uploaded MIUI ROM for P6 Quad, feel free to give it a try

Recently I run into a similar issue as seen on your screenshot but not sure it it was really BROM ERROR : S_BROM_DOWNLOAD_DA_FAIL (2004). In my case SP Flash Tool detected the phone but was not doing any data transfers. Seems like resetting the phone by long pressing POWER button resolved it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viliam.pucik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sama7896
Old
(Last edited by sama7896; 30th January 2014 at 10:40 AM.) Reason: Fixed
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by viliam.pucik View Post
I have just uploaded MIUI ROM for P6 Quad, feel free to give it a try

Recently I run into a similar issue as seen on your screenshot but not sure it it was really BROM ERROR : S_BROM_DOWNLOAD_DA_FAIL (2004). In my case SP Flash Tool detected the phone but was not doing any data transfers. Seems like resetting the phone by long pressing POWER button resolved it.
Can't get it work..
Same error every time (2004) with 4.2.1
Restoring your 4.1.2 backup works fine though.
I did try another version of sp tools, no success so far

EDIT: strike that - i was using a virtual machine - not ok it seems. Using a PC it worked fine.
This is fracking greaaat.

I'll edit it with impressions:
- camera captures much darker photos than stock + videos are awfully dark (edit. on phone only - on pc they are ok - display driver issue?)
- can't get both rds internet and orange to work. Well i can't unlock orange 50% of the time without restart (edit: this issue happens only if updating to latest miui, on fresh install it is fine).
- google play store keeps crashing, and when it works its chinese and requires some chinese account. Did i say chinese enough times? lol Edit: this i believe is caused because the phone id in build.prop is messed up.
- apps inside not very friendly (CH) - i have no idea how to remove them..
edit: - interface is much slower than stock - needs tweaks...viliam?
- love the idea of OTA updates and miui site backup.

My verdict -very nice IOS looking, slower interface than stock, still the same damn error for IGO just like in stock that got me looking for something else: Out of memory. Requested 1701978227. Cache 0

Once again... big THANK YOU viliam.pucik, and Merry Christmas !

viliam.pucik
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Welcome sama7896

I am sorry about the camera and apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sama7896 View Post
- camera captures much darker photos than stock + videos are awfully dark
- can't get both rds internet and orange to work. Well i can't unlock orange 50% of the time without restart.
- google play store keeps crashing, and when it works its chinese and requires some chinese account. Did i say chinese enough times? lol
  1. Regarding camera I suppose HDR mode or some filters are disabled by default in MIUI ROM and enabled in stock, maybe that causes darker images in MIUI ROM.
  2. My assumption was that MTK chipset supports 3G service (aka mobile Internet) fully only for SIM in the first slot which could explain why it works only for one mobile provider.
  3. Do you by any chance use Market app (an orange icon with MI letters on it) instead of real Google Play Store? That could explain seeing Chinese apps.

Hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to viliam.pucik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sama7896
Old
(Last edited by sama7896; 18th March 2014 at 07:31 PM.) Reason: review
Thanks Meter 1
Hi again
I started messing again with the roms, i like the walton primo 4.2.2 (modified with your instructions), i will try it and post any bugs
BTW, you were right... 3g card works fine only on first slot; on stock rom it worked fine on second slot. Plus i had to set the access point APN for RDS as pointed in this post (for some reason there was no profile by default).

Review for the walton primo X1 4.2.2 rom:
Rooting is done with Framaroot-(IMU)1.6.1.apk
Camera - lots of options, pictures are great. Full HD recording works.
Gestures dont work - did not need them anyway.
Occasional lag when returning to home screen - not very bothering edit: fixed -freed up some space on system partition.
Wireless input devices work - I tested a bluetooth mouse and a BT keyboard.
Did not have a smart 2 view to test it (should work as it is a miracast copy and android 4.2.2 specifications say it should pe supported).
All other apps included work beautifully. Very clean and well done rom.

There is a color rom but it requires a 800 mb partition. My current system partition is listed as 660,3 mb and it is 99% full. How can i modify the size?

More important question - is there any way to enable OTG cable functionality ? That is all that is missing now. I know the usb connection is not power enabled, tried with a hub powered externally but still no go. USB host mode is enabled in the kernel it seems (?).

edit2: i finally found the problem with igo: it only works if not rooted. gps accuracy is awfull!

sama7896
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default kitkat flavour?

hi again..
can you use this kernel for a kitkat rom?
http://www.gizmochina.com/2014/03/10...t6589-chipset/

credit: ahmyani
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2677573