5,815,133 Members 38,520 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Disable T-mobile kit kat update notification?

Tip us?

rcboosted
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] Disable T-mobile kit kat update notification?

I rooted my phone via the RDLV method to keep the knox counter at 0. Since T-mobile started rolling out the kit kat update, I've been having to postpone it daily. Is there a way to keep it from popping up or staying in the notification?

Even better would be a method to root kit kat without tripping the knox counter.

dragonstalker
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,231

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted View Post
I rooted my phone via the RDLV method to keep the knox counter at 0. Since T-mobile started rolling out the kit kat update, I've been having to postpone it daily. Is there a way to keep it from popping up or staying in the notification?

Even better would be a method to root kit kat without tripping the knox counter.
The cool thing would be to google your question and you would have found your answers without posting. No there is no way to stop the notifications because nobody has had the time to sit down and write the cancellation script. Updating without tripping knox has been discussed in numerous threads in MORE THAN detail. There is a method, but it is not recommended by me and others. The method is for very advanced people that are technological sound and know Android very very well. As you stand the chance to permanently brick your phone.

--HTC One (M*8)
--Note 10.1 2k4
-Recovery: TWRP
-ROM: NV M8 RLS2
-ROM: xKat V3.2
-Kernel: ?
-Kernel: Bindroid V3

Blog: MobileEscape.blogspot.com

Retired: Behold, G1, MT Fender, MT3G Slide, Vibrant, N1, HD2 (android-Froyo), Viewsonic G-Tablet, AT&T SE Xperia X10i, Samsung Galaxy Tab; HTC Inspire, HTC Sensation, Droid Charge, MYTOUCH4G , Thunderbolt, Droid DNA (traded), Note 2, HTC Rezound, Note 3 (jumped)
The Following User Says Thank You to dragonstalker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

og.blaah
Old
Thanks Meter 40
I turned off the software update. I have not had any pop-up notifications at all....

The Following User Says Thank You to og.blaah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dreamgun
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by og.blaah View Post
I turned off the software update. I have not had any pop-up notifications at all....

Whoa bro that method is for advanced users only and you might brick your phone, also there isn't any other way to do it. If you googled you would of found an answer that an answer does not exist.

But seriously all sarcasm aside thanks for sharing your easy find.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

dragonstalker
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,231

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamgun View Post
Whoa bro that method is for advanced users only and you might brick your phone, also there isn't any other way to do it. If you googled you would of found an answer that an answer does not exist.

But seriously all sarcasm aside thanks for sharing your easy find.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
Lol. I stand corrected. that was tried before and was said that after a reset the phone would go back to asking for updates again. I'll admit i'm wrong. Hopefully this stops it permanently .

--HTC One (M*8)
--Note 10.1 2k4
-ROM: NV M8 RLS2
-ROM: xKat V3.2
-Kernel: ?
-Kernel: Bindroid V3

Blog: MobileEscape.blogspot.com

Retired: Behold, G1, MT Fender, MT3G Slide, Vibrant, N1, HD2 (android-Froyo), Viewsonic G-Tablet, AT&T SE Xperia X10i, Samsung Galaxy Tab; HTC Inspire, HTC Sensation, Droid Charge, MYTOUCH4G , Thunderbolt, Droid DNA (traded), Note 2, HTC Rezound, Note 3 (jumped)
The Following User Says Thank You to dragonstalker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rcboosted
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by og.blaah View Post

I thought it was too late for me. I turned off software update, in fact there were 2 of them, one of them(newer) can't be turned off. The notification did not go away after turning off the older version, rebooting doesn't seem to help either. Went into Titanium Backup (paid) and force closed the newer software update, and the notification went away! Then I froze the app. The freeze survived a reboot. Woohoo! The phone did reboot itself after the first reboot after the freeze however, not sure what happened there. It's been ok since.

Hopefully this thread helps someone else in my situation.