Canadian S4 Kitkat update

Search This thread

sbug206

May 4, 2010
ARGH!!! I've tried the leak version as well and still no go. I heavily suspect it's due to Knox. Searching around other people have had this issue with previous updates. I've disabled Knox every way I've found online yet it's still cutting off the wifi. I don't think Knox is truly gone because I can't change the security level from High to Normal.

Did you try flashing the 4.4.2 leak from a few days ago

Get it HERE

As per the instructions, you might have to flash it twice for the modem to stick.

0mega1

Mar 11, 2008
Hamilton
ARGH!!! I've tried the leak version as well and still no go. I heavily suspect it's due to Knox. Searching around other people have had this issue with previous updates. I've disabled Knox every way I've found online yet it's still cutting off the wifi. I don't think Knox is truly gone because I can't change the security level from High to Normal.

It has nothing to do with knox and everything to do with a flash not sticking.

Flash once, go through with the full setup, right to the home screen.

Wipe, using the function built in to android, not the recovery.

Flash a second time, then a third. (Back to back) using the full package I posted.

Do not modify anything in between, Do not root, do not install CWM, do not pass go.

Until you have a full, working rom, do not modify things.

sbug206

May 4, 2010
Yes it did have to do with Knox. Every time I tried turning on the Wifi I would get the message "an application has attempted to directly access system on your device and has been blocked". Disabling Knox would get rid of the message but Wifi still wouldn't enable. Bluetooth and LTE data would work. You're right though that the flash not sticking was the cause. After trying multiple flashes and wipes through android and recovery with the leaked and official rom, I saw one message about turning off Auto Reboot in Odin and pulling the battery. I didn't pull the battery and powered down by holding the power button for a few seconds. That finally did it and I was able to get Wifi on. Wifi managed to stay on through rooting and CWM. This isn't my first time flashing a rom but my first owning the S4. I don't get how the flashes "don't stick". I flashed using the leaked rom so I don't know if this would have also worked with the official rom.

It has nothing to do with knox and everything to do with a flash not sticking.

Flash once, go through with the full setup, right to the home screen.

Wipe, using the function built in to android, not the recovery.

Flash a second time, then a third. (Back to back) using the full package I posted.

Do not modify anything in between, Do not root, do not install CWM, do not pass go.

Until you have a full, working rom, do not modify things.

htcplussony

Aug 26, 2008
They finally give the low cost carriers Fido, Virgin and Koodo the update a day later. Have to say except for the battery icon changing, its not been a phone changing event.

0mega1

Mar 11, 2008
Hamilton
Yes it did have to do with Knox. Every time I tried turning on the Wifi I would get the message "an application has attempted to directly access system on your device and has been blocked". Disabling Knox would get rid of the message but Wifi still wouldn't enable. Bluetooth and LTE data would work. You're right though that the flash not sticking was the cause. After trying multiple flashes and wipes through android and recovery with the leaked and official rom, I saw one message about turning off Auto Reboot in Odin and pulling the battery. I didn't pull the battery and powered down by holding the power button for a few seconds. That finally did it and I was able to get Wifi on. Wifi managed to stay on through rooting and CWM. This isn't my first time flashing a rom but my first owning the S4. I don't get how the flashes "don't stick". I flashed using the leaked rom so I don't know if this would have also worked with the official rom.

It really didn't have anything to do with knox. Having not torn in to it and not having the skill to do so, my only guess is that it was making system calls that it couldn't cash, and knox is just flagging them as suspicious. Knox isn't doing anything other than stopping these dead end calls, and sending you an alert.

Same thing happens on a bad flash on 4.2/4.3 except knox isn't all in your face about it.

Search i337 no wifi 4.3 and you'll get tons and tons of results, all with the same end solution generally.

robinsonj

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Not Broken

So I wouldn't normally post to say "Everything's normal", but in reading through for the last few weeks I think SOMEBODY has to...
If you read the posts on 4.4.2 for the i337 and i337M it looks like a beta ROM with broken wifi, broken external storage, broken camera...

There must be some common factor for so many to be having problems but i just want to reassure not everyone has them so they must be fixable.

Here is what I did:

Made 2 TiBu backups on my external card... One regular and one "update.zip" just in case
ODINed the leak

Booted up

Entered my initial setup information and had a "look around" but noticed Play Store was trying to download all my apps, so i killed all of those except TiBu and it's license. (waited for it to finish those)
Shut down
Rooted (ODIN and CF auto root)

Booted up again

Stopped all the Play Store downloads again...
Opened TiBu and of course agreed to it's suggestion to restore my Android ID to its original
Did a TiBu restore of all my apps and data
Opened Application Manager and moved all the apps it was willing to SD Card (I will revisit this lower down!**)
Verified that it had restored cwm... it had.
Ran CWM, which notified me that there was an upgrade to my custom recovery... (since a flash almost certainly removed my recovery I accepted the download and let flash the touch version

Reboot again

Tried out some of the CWM functions to verify it was running, just stuff like fix permissions, delete cache... when I was satisfied with that I told it to boot me into recovery.

In recovery I verified some stuff was working (mount, unmount...)

Boot again

Checked that everything was working...it was (except it kep telling me about some problem with Google+) but seemed a little slow
Deleted and re-installed Gogle+ (this worked... I guess a KitKat specific one was required and my earlier restore overwrote with the JB one)
Checked the APN... it was definitely changed to Bell's APN. Since Virgin uses Bell towers it wasn't broken but there are some differences so I made a new Virgin one and deleted the original... this seemed to help

At this point it was midnight so I crashed and then used the phone as it was for a full day, no problems but the battery did go down more than before.

After work I froze and deleted all the Bell bloat... that gave more room.
Next I froze everything with Ant, Knox, or Enterprise in it's name as well as the Samsung bloat I do not use S Health, Samsung Hub, ChatOn, all of the print services... There are some like Group Play, AllShare, and a few others I do use so I wasn't overly aggressive just in case.
Another full day to verify I hadn't broken anything

At this point I read several threads about people being unable to use their external cards for anything but media files... made me curious.

If you want to do this part you should have a bit of knowledge... otherwise you could really screw it up, just leave it alone!
**Opened Root Explorer and verified that the "SD Card" my apps had been moved to was the internal one.
Did some more research on here and found that it was controlled by an environment variable, so I edited the file (as per instruction I found on "Android Headlines" http://www.androidheadlines.com/2014/02/galaxy-s4-note-3-kitkat-sd-card-update-issue-youre-not-alone-root-fix-inside.html
Moved all the apps I had earlier told to "move to SD Card" back to "Device"

Found as many references as possible to SD Card in the phone (TiBu, Root Explorer, CWM, camera, anything that ahs the ability to save files really) and directed them that SD Card means the path /storage/extSdCard.

Another reboot

Now moved as many apps as it would let me to SD Card... YES they went to the external
I deleted the apps I had frozen earlier
I used Root Explorer to delete a ton of duplicate folder names to avoid confusion... DCIM, Music, Movies, Documents, Download, Pictures, backups... from everywhere EXCEPT the external card. (note that I manually moved any files that were in those folders to the same folder name on the external)

I think my phone is about as optimized as I need it to be. I haven't removed any of the S4 functionality or features that I use, and there's a bit more memory headroom...

Sorry for the long saga but I wanted to post up something that by evidence (my working phone) does work that might just help someone identify something they overlooked that has caused their issues.

Jamie

duboisbrian

Jul 1, 2013
Yes it says Note 3 but it worked on my SGS4 (I337M), just make sure you follow the instructions.

So I ODIN'd back to stock rogers and was able to update through KIES. The newest version of cf autoroot worked but an older version did not. After achieving root I used SU to disable KNOX and then uninstalled KNOX via Titanium Backup. Everything is working as expected.

One nice thing about the install was that I didn't need to factory reset; and everything was intact after the upgrade, from home screen icons to my launcher. In the past I always had problems trying to restore my personal preferences and what not, but everything was just how I like it when it rebooted in kit kat.
Sent from my SGH-I337M using xda app-developers app

quick question what is the benefit of disabling knox if you already tripped it doing cf autoroot??

azuziel

Nov 26, 2013
quick question what is the benefit of disabling knox if you already tripped it doing cf autoroot??

There isnt one. If its tripped, knox wont work anyway. Its just the nags/notifications it spews. Supersu will disable it entirely (and nags along with it) , and automatically when installing. Thats all you need to do.

Previously people disabled it, trying to preserve ota updates on 4.3 using wanam. Since wanam doesnt fake official on kitkat, no point in using tb to freeze it anymore. Just let supersu disable it after rooting and you're all set.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

clemmie

Dec 30, 2010
I figured if I'm not using it I would just uninstall it. No point in keeping it, I deleted it with other bloatware.

Sent from my SM-T310 using xda app-developers app

sbug206

May 4, 2010
Be extremely careful deleting bloatware. I haven't figured out which but deleting one of them breaks auto rotate. You can freeze all of them without problems but deleting will kill auto rotate and restoring the files won't bring it back. I had to reflash to fix it. There's no point in deleting the apk since it's in the system partition which isn't user accessible anyway. Just freeze it.

Reactions: Ramsey

howipig

Dec 23, 2010
There isnt one. If its tripped, knox wont work anyway. Its just the nags/notifications it spews. Supersu will disable it entirely (and nags along with it) , and automatically when installing. Thats all you need to do.

Previously people disabled it, trying to preserve ota updates on 4.3 using wanam. Since wanam doesnt fake official on kitkat, no point in using tb to freeze it anymore. Just let supersu disable it after rooting and you're all set.

azuziel,

Greetings.

Can you go into the Download Mode and see if the KNOX WARRANTY VOID counter is 0x0 or 0x1, please? Thank you.

BeO3a05CAAEVFEQ.jpg

azuziel

Nov 26, 2013
azuziel,

Greetings.

Can you go into the Download Mode and see if the KNOX WARRANTY VOID counter is 0x0 or 0x1, please? Thank you.

BeO3a05CAAEVFEQ.jpg

My knox was 0x0 rooting with kingo and running jb 4.3 since last november. I waited almost 6 months for a knox workaround for custom recoveries, but that isnt happening so I purposely tripped it after kiktat update using cf auto root as i wanted to run cwm again, as i did on 4.2.2.

Kingo is a knox safe root on 4.3, but only cf auto root will root touchwiz kiktkat (rwc). Since my phone is a year old now, figured f!!! it, i domt carr about it anymore. Ive helped plenty achieve a knox safe root. Using wanam, xposed, etc doesn't trip knox. Only custom recoveries and kernels trip an I337m.

My knox was still 0x0 after flashing 4.3 stock, and updating to 4.4.2 ota. And i was running 4.3 touchwiz (mk6) rooted with xposed, wanam, gravitybox, etc. No problem. Didn't trip til i rootrd 4.4.2 with cf auto root,and again, i knew ahead of time what would trip it. Whats safe and what isnt is all in the knox thread. Why do you ask?

Reactions: howipig

howipig

Dec 23, 2010
azuziel,

Thank you for your sharing.

Do not get me wrong as I just want to be clear about the situation. I have been keeping KNOX WARRANTY VOID as 0x0 since its introduction with 4.3 and patiently waited until Kingo Root solution too. But I do not believe the KNOX nag messages are the definitive indication of the eFuse status. Yes, the KNOX integrity is no longer there after it is tripped. But I also think the KNOX apps as the components would just disappear even it is tripped. This is the only part we may not come to agreement. Just like someone would also say why even bother to root our devices if warranty is a concern.

Anyway, I really appreciate your reply and I too will root mine if there is still no "elegant" solution in a few weeks.

Last edited:

azuziel

Nov 26, 2013
azuziel,

Thank you for your sharing.

Do not get me wrong as I just want to be clear about the situation. I have been keeping KNOX WARRANTY VOID as 0x0 since its introduction with 4.3 and patiently waited until Kingo Root solution too. But I do not believe the KNOX nag messages are the definitive indication of the eFuse status. Yes, the KNOX integrity is no longer there after it is tripped. But I also think the KNOX apps as the components would just disappear even it is tripped. This is the only part we may not come to agreement. Just like someone would also say why even bother to root our devices if warranty is a concern.

Anyway, I really appreciate your reply and I too will root mine if there is still no "elegant" solution in a few weeks.

No worries brother. We're all here to help. I just really didn't understand what it was you were asking. To be clear, my kernel knox is still 0x0 but my warranty bit is 0x1 (void). I still do have the knox shortcuts in the app drawer. I've never opened them, but it's my understanding that once either bit is 0x1, knox will not install because the handset is considered "compromised". The whole point of knox isn't to prevent modding, it's Samsung's venture into Enterprise Security. A knox enabled handset segregates the business/personal data, strengthening the BYOD model. Or so Samsung seems to think (not the case haha).

I honestly was just fed up having root apps I paid for (and I have a lot, I always support good developers), that I couldn't use on touchwiz kitat. I happen to use Active Sync heavily for work, and I have suffered no consequences what so ever from having a knox tripped device. Active Sync doesn't care, exchange doesn't care, and neither do I ;)

There won't be any progress on the safe custom recovery knox front, of that I'm confident. But you never know, always a chance I guess (no matter how slim). Since the GS4 likely won't be receiving any updates after kitkat (only 18 months of updates per device as we all know), I just decided forget it, I want the ability to run gummy/paranoid android again. I enjoy both roms. Cheers and have a good day.

howipig

Dec 23, 2010
Azuziel,

BTW, I remember when I use the CF Mobile ODIN Pro to flash the stock NC1 with EvaRoot, it did retain the root without tripping the eFuse. But the CSC files were not flashed, likely the temporary custom flashing recovery could not handle this part.

Top Liked Posts