Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] /system/app/books.apk unexpected contents. But no such apk exist!

OP lanwarrior

19th March 2014, 03:02 AM   |  #1  
lanwarrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 150
 
2,193 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2006
My Nexus 7 LTE is rooted with stock ROM. I am trying to upgrade to 4.4.2 and it failed because of the error message:

/system/app/books.apk unexpected contents. Installation aborted.

However, searching the folder using ES Explorer, I don't even see this books.apk

My questions are:
1. How is it possible the upgrade fail for an apk that didn't even exist?

2. If all else fail, what can I do to upgrade to 4.4.2 via OTA?
19th March 2014, 07:53 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 159
 
511 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior

My Nexus 7 LTE is rooted with stock ROM. I am trying to upgrade to 4.4.2 and it failed because of the error message:

/system/app/books.apk unexpected contents. Installation aborted.

However, searching the folder using ES Explorer, I don't even see this books.apk

My questions are:
1. How is it possible the upgrade fail for an apk that didn't even exist?

2. If all else fail, what can I do to upgrade to 4.4.2 via OTA?

When you rooted your N7, did you by chance delete some of the "unnecessary" Google apps like Google Play Books? Because if you've removed any of those system apps, the update will fail everytime. That's what this looks like to me. Are you using a custom recovery, or stock recovery?
19th March 2014, 08:00 AM   |  #3  
lanwarrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 150
 
2,193 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by charesa39

When you rooted your N7, did you by chance delete some of the "unnecessary" Google apps like Google Play Books? Because if you've removed any of those system apps, the update will fail everytime. That's what this looks like to me. Are you using a custom recovery, or stock recovery?

Ah you're right! I did uninstall Google Play Books using Titanium Backup. I thought this is just another Google Apps, since it is available from Google Play.

I don't have recovery like TWRP.

I'll try installing these Google Apps again and installing the updates.
19th March 2014, 08:03 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 159
 
511 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior

Ah you're right! I did uninstall Google Play Books using Titanium Backup. I thought this is just another Google Apps, since it is available from Google Play.

I don't have recovery like TWRP.

I'll try installing these Google Apps again and installing the updates.

Yeah. If that's the only thing you did, then reinstalling them should do the trick.
The Following User Says Thank You to charesa39 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes