Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,180 Members 39,030 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android 4.4 KitKat is here! Sony Mobile confirms roll out!

Tip us?

jjpro45
Old
(Last edited by jjpro45; 19th March 2014 at 10:50 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Default Android 4.4 KitKat is here! Sony Mobile confirms roll out!

Android KitKat is rolling out.
Quote from Sony Mobile:

"The next Sony software rollout for*Xperia Z Ultra,Xperia Z1*and*Xperia Z1 Compact*starts right about now*…

We’ve been working to build new Sony experiences on Google’s KitKat release to create some neat / sweet features (if we say so ourselves) – in addition to a few performance tweaks here & there, some of the functionality you can look forward to includes:

Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat*as standard – bringing performance & UI optimisation…We’ve added*our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface*– we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens
We’re also*uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions*– bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera and…
Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration**– a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more!
Our*unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”,*with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select*– skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles, and more to follow soon…"

More info available here: http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2014/03/...ia-z1-compact/

No signs of tap2wake and other stuff from Xperia Z2.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
My Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy S5
My Tablet: Sony Xperia Tablet Z2
Smartphone History:
iPhone 3G -> iPhone 4 -> Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE -> Sony Xperia Z -> iPhone 5 -> Samsung Galaxy S4 -> Sony Xperia Z (Again) -> Sony Xperia Z1 (WOW!) -> Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (The Compact-WOW!) -> Sony Xperia Z2 (Best ever, unfortunately lost)
Tablet History:
iPad Air -> Sony Xperia Tablet Z2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjpro45 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheQwertiest
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro45 View Post
No signs of tap2wake and other stuff from Xperia Z2.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Meh... That would kinda suck... Dev would've to port tap2wake from Z2\Z into custom kernel (which we still don't have) and that might take quite a looooong time =(
The qwertiest man in the world!
Feeling slightly superior...
The Following User Says Thank You to TheQwertiest For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hash054
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Was only waiting for kitkat only if smartcall and tap to wake up were in it... I dont see the point of upgrading.. :S
Smartphone:: Sony Xperia Z1 COMPACT

ROM::RomAur v1.2

Previous Phones::Xperia SP; Xperia S; HTC Desire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coelijoeli
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Since rollout is starting for our phone, when can we expect it?

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app

TheQwertiest
Old
(Last edited by TheQwertiest; 19th March 2014 at 11:30 AM.)
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hash054 View Post
Was only waiting for kitkat only if smartcall and tap to wake up were in it... I dont see the point of upgrading.. :S
Kitkat brings quite a performance increase and improves battery life as well, so it's not THAT useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelijoeli View Post
Since rollout is starting for our phone, when can we expect it?
Depends on the region, but I think we would be seeing it in two weeks. Some of us might get the update today, others later...
The qwertiest man in the world!
Feeling slightly superior...

aigaming
Old
Thanks Meter 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQwertiest View Post
Kitkat brings quite a performance increase and improves battery life as well, so it's not THAT useless

Depends on the region, but I think we would be seeing it in two weeks. Some of us might get the update today, others later...
Nothing in real life is true about that,kitkat is still buggy and has some battery drain problems,most of the people reported that they had less battery drain with 4.3 so we shall see(nexus 7 2013 kitkat user here)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone's: 02x by Penguin team & Sony z1c
Rom: Tony&Penguses cm10.1 beta
Kernel: Penguses Kowalski kernel(newest version available)
BB: v30a
The Following User Says Thank You to aigaming For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hash054
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQwertiest View Post

Not motivated enough.. battery life already a charm and performance already a beast.. so.. its not worth it to update 4.3 to 4.4 just for the sake of changing the number.. :P
Smartphone:: Sony Xperia Z1 COMPACT

ROM::RomAur v1.2

Previous Phones::Xperia SP; Xperia S; HTC Desire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vetko
Old
(Last edited by vetko; 19th March 2014 at 12:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Included in this software:
This upgrade for your Xperia™ smartphone includes many improvements, such as:
  • Introducing Android 4.4.2 KitKat with many new features and enhancements
  • Updated Camera application and overall tuning to improve the camera experience
  • Enhanced email app
  • Stability, performance & battery improvements
Source: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/...ia-z1-compact/

Can't wait to get feedback about the (potential) improvements on the camera!

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hash054 View Post
Not motivated enough.. battery life already a charm and performance already a beast.. so.. its not worth it to update 4.3 to 4.4 just for the sake of changing the number.. :P
I don't think that you don't want even better battery life .
Also, there are other improvements (like with the camera), new features, as quoted in my prev. post.
The Following User Says Thank You to vetko For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

banvetor
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Any info on how Sony is handling the whole microSD debacle with its 4.4 KitKat firmware?

I use my microSD to store music and videos only, but I'm wondering if the 4.4 firmware can get me any problems with wifi syncing software (AirDroid, Cheetah Sync), or any 3rd party media player such as MX Player...

Jozinek
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,942

DONATE TO ME
downloading update now, i will make FTF

If i help you, hit thx button. If i help you much, donate to buy new devices...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jozinek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]