Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Unable to change screen lock after update to 4.4.2 and factory reset

OP Arno Kalkman

16th March 2014, 11:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I am unable to change the screen lock on my I9505 after upgrading to Android 4.4.2. My screen lock is currently set to Swipe, however when I want to change my screen lock to something else, all options except PIN and Password are grayed out ("Turned off by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage"). "Swipe" is also grayed out which is strange because my currently my lock screen is in fact set to swipe.

I have done the following things to my phone:

1. Upgrade from T-Mobile (NL) branded 4.3 to unbranded 4.4.2 (NL) using Odin, downloaded from sammobile. In the past I had installed a custom recovery and rooted my phone, but this was removed after installing 4.4.2.
2. WiFi did not work after this, so I applied a WiFi fix using Odin (I9505XXUFNB8-WiFi-FIX-(NON-HLOS)). Unfortunately I cannot find the original thread that describes this fix. If this is relevant I can search again. Wifi now works.
3. Factory reset (boot into recovery -> "wipe cache" and "wipe data/factory reset").

As described in other threads: All device administrators are disabled, nothing is encrypted and I have cleared credentials. I also tried removing my sim card, but the screen lock issue still persists.

Other information:

When I boot into recovery it says:
-"KOTH49H.I9505XXUFNB8"
-"Applied the CSC-code: PHN" (this used to be TNL when I still had 4.3)

When I boot into download mode it says:
-Product name: GT-I9505
-Current binary: Custom
-System status: Custom
-Knox kernel lock: 0x0
-Knox waranty void: 0x1

In About Device it says:
-Baseband version: I9505XXUEMKF
-Build number: KOT49H.I9505XXUFNB8
-Secure boot status: Samsung

The firmware information on sammobile:
-PDA: I9505XXUFNB8
-CSC: I9505PHNFNB3
-MODEM: I9505XXUFNB8

I would like to know if there is a way to fix my screen lock issue. I suspect that my problem is caused by the wifi fix or the unbranded firmware because it still persists after a factory reset.
16th March 2014, 12:25 PM   |  #2  
Flag Friedrichshafen
Thanks Meter: 441

721 posts
More
Afaik you need to flash the new bootloader to make it work

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk
16th March 2014, 12:33 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 632

2,027 posts
Donate to Me
More
Problem is that u have wrong MODEM. You will have to flash I9505XXUFNB8 modem for solve ur problems. But I think this maybe void ur warranty. The best u can do is make a full wipe and flash again full stock I9505XXUFNB8 firmware through ODIN and take a look if ur baseband changed
The Following User Says Thank You to Joku1981 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th March 2014, 12:57 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joku1981

The best u can do is make a full wipe and flash again full stock I9505XXUFNB8 firmware through ODIN and take a look if ur baseband changed

This solved my problem. The baseband changed and now I can change my screen lock.

Thank you very much!

What I find strange is, I just repeated the same flash procedure I did before. Why wasn't modem updated during the first time I flashed new firmware?
16th March 2014, 12:58 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 632

2,027 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arno Kalkman

This solved my problem. The baseband changed and now I can change my screen lock.

Thank you very much!

What I find strange is, I just repeated the same flash procedure I did before. Why wasn't modem updated during the first time I flashed new firmware?

Enjoy it then
19th March 2014, 01:52 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 5

99 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joku1981

Enjoy it then

Hi,

unfortunatelly this did not work for me. I flashed the modem to the correct version I9505XXUFNB8 and it still gives me no option to turn on the lockscreen (grayed out saying "Turned off by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage", like for the OP). Actually, I think I have had pretty the same problems as the OP, incl. having no Wifi after flashing 4.4.2. I could fix this by flashing Adams kernel 2.1. I guess that Wifi fix would also have done it, but I didn't try.

Well, I tried pretty much the same things, nothing worked. Unfortunatelly, also flashing the modem to the correct version did not help either.

I even made factory reset and flashed stock 4.4.2 rom again, but apart from having no Wifi (as written before) I still do not have a lock screen.

So, I am stuck now. Any ideas what else to check? Please do not tell me to do factory resets since I did that a hundred times already
19th March 2014, 05:15 AM   |  #7  
Flag Udhampur
Thanks Meter: 58

265 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skr68

Hi,

unfortunatelly this did not work for me. I flashed the modem to the correct version I9505XXUFNB8 and it still gives me no option to turn on the lockscreen (grayed out saying "Turned off by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage", like for the OP). Actually, I think I have had pretty the same problems as the OP, incl. having no Wifi after flashing 4.4.2. I could fix this by flashing Adams kernel 2.1. I guess that Wifi fix would also have done it, but I didn't try.

Well, I tried pretty much the same things, nothing worked. Unfortunatelly, also flashing the modem to the correct version did not help either.

I even made factory reset and flashed stock 4.4.2 rom again, but apart from having no Wifi (as written before) I still do not have a lock screen.

So, I am stuck now. Any ideas what else to check? Please do not tell me to do factory resets since I did that a hundred times already

Think u should flash indian firmware for the time bieng its wothout any issues nd battery friendly

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
19th March 2014, 03:17 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 5

99 posts
Well, I'd rather not install an india firmware that may or may not work for me but which I cannot possibly understand (other language and stuff).

Anyway, in the Adams kernel thread I found the solution for the lockscreen problem: Edit the /system/build.prop file:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=728

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread