Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,360 Members 49,785 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Awkward freezes

Tip us?

fabus
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeriorp View Post
An update: it happened twice in a row just now. Switched back to Dalvik just in case. Will keep this one post updated to not spam.
- LogCat requires root to see system messages, otherwise you will see only high layer user messages.

- I tryied ART and didn`t have such issue, just came back to Dalvik because I noticed that ART uses more cache (which impacts overall virtual SD capacity) and didn`t see any improvement in performance.

@joeyhdownsouth - could you give us logcat / dmesg log on some share? It seems you have some issues while charging. It can be causes either by wrong charger (too high/low current, but moto should control it) or maybe some app causes this when you unplugs usb cable.
Anyway - without log we cannot say anything.

Cheers,

rogeriorp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
I have this phone for 4 months already, its weird it happens out of no where tbh. Switched back to Dalvik yesterday and no issue yet, switching runtimes compile them all over again right?

fabus
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
I have this phone for 4 months already, its weird it happens out of no where tbh. Switched back to Dalvik yesterday and no issue yet, switching runtimes compile them all over again right?
yes, you should see "Updating Android" with application number every time you switch DALVIK<->ART.

Cheers,

joeyhdownsouth
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabus View Post
- LogCat requires root to see system messages, otherwise you will see only high layer user messages.

- I tryied ART and didn`t have such issue, just came back to Dalvik because I noticed that ART uses more cache (which impacts overall virtual SD capacity) and didn`t see any improvement in performance.

@joeyhdownsouth - could you give us logcat / dmesg log on some share? It seems you have some issues while charging. It can be causes either by wrong charger (too high/low current, but moto should control it) or maybe some app causes this when you unplugs usb cable.
Anyway - without log we cannot say anything.

Cheers,
Waiting on Motorola charger to come in, then if no change, I'll pull a logcat.

sent from my Gs3
G2(Sprint)-stock rooted
G3(Sprint)-stock rooted
Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM:C-rom/KERNEL:dkp
Galaxy S5(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:M.O.A.R.
Moto G(unlocked to CellularOne)-ROM/KERNEL:LiquidSmooth
Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive

Jocker111
Old
Thanks Meter 22
I also experienced the last 3 days complete freezes. No idea what was going on...
Unfortunately I couldn't pull any log messages from the phone by that time. Half an hour later it just responded normally... Didn't see if it rebooted in between or what exactly happened

rogeriorp
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 102
Just a heads up: going back to Dalvik got me rid off those freezes. Something on ART was messed up.

joeyhdownsouth
Old
(Last edited by joeyhdownsouth; 19th March 2014 at 04:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Just a heads up: going back to Dalvik got me rid off those freezes. Something on ART was messed up.
I never even checked to see which one it was using when I first got it.

sent from my Gs3
G2(Sprint)-stock rooted
G3(Sprint)-stock rooted
Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM:C-rom/KERNEL:dkp
Galaxy S5(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:M.O.A.R.
Moto G(unlocked to CellularOne)-ROM/KERNEL:LiquidSmooth
Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive

fabus
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhdownsouth View Post
I never even checked to see which one it was using when I first got it.

sent from my Gs3
By deault it is Dalvik. If you have new phone so it will be Dalvik.

Did you said two posts before that you were using some 3rd party charger (not Motorola cable)?

Funny, but yesterday I had similar issues with freezes and random reboots. I was using some cable taken from Friend (not Motorola) and weird things started to happening:
- It was indicated on a screen that phone is charging (probably discovered usb cable plugged it), but it was discharging faster and started rebooting (because it reached below 1% battery state) and after some reboots battery was so discharged that phone couldn`t come up.
This usb cable was attached all the time to my phone and a computer.

- Next I connected phone to my reglar charger for night (from Zte Tablet, but really good and charges fast, never had issues with it) and it was fully charged.
On the morning I played music for 15 minutes by loudspeaker and then put phone into my pocket for 10 minutes (walk to take a bus).
When I took my phone back into my hand battery was dropped to 1%! (from over 95% to 1% in 10 minutes), but phone didn`t shut down.
This 1% remain for couple of hours (something like 2-3) without shutting phone down.

I took another charger and connected to it again - phone was charged to 100% in less than 30 min (usually takes up to 3hrs) and now works like before (no huge and weird battery drain).

Btw. I`m on faux kernel 007m.

Weird... looks like moto g doesn't like be connected to a PC by other cable than Motorola