Skype on RT 8.0?

OP sRs DoLLaR mEnU

17th March 2014, 10:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jacksonville (unfortunately)
Thanks Meter: 27

454 posts
More
How can I install Skype on my microsoft surface with RT 8.0? I've tried through the metro app store but because I haven't upgraded to 8.1 it won't let me. Does anyone know how to install it on 8.0? I don't want to upgrade to 8.1 because there is no jailbreak yet. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th March 2014, 04:33 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 17

83 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sRs DoLLaR mEnU

How can I install Skype on my microsoft surface with RT 8.0? I've tried through the metro app store but because I haven't upgraded to 8.1 it won't let me. Does anyone know how to install it on 8.0? I don't want to upgrade to 8.1 because there is no jailbreak yet. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

That's really strange. I don't have any words of wisdom other than to suggest contacting Skype tech support. I've had Skype on my RT 8.0 for almost as long as I've had the device (and I'm not upgrading to 8.1 for the same reason as you, no jailbreak). I don't use it that much, but it still works (just tried it). My point is, Skype for RT 8.0 at least used to be available, so that's really strange if the store is now requiring 8.1 to install. To me that sounds fishy which is why I'd say take it up with their tech support... there is no reason you should have to upgrade just to install that application.
18th March 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #3  
Flag Wieluń
Thanks Meter: 28

149 posts
More
I have skype pre-installed on RT8.0 in my XPS10. Thats seems to be disadventage of app store model - you have no way to install older version (i don't count sideloading here as it's unofficial way).
19th March 2014, 08:00 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 17

83 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitor

Thats seems to be disadventage of app store model - you have no way to install older version (i don't count sideloading here as it's unofficial way).

That and roll back a bad update. Ugh. I really don't like how these "stores" are currently setup. It is entirely possible to do as well, as other operating systems have had software package management systems that can do this for years...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread