Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,126 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Skype on RT 8.0?

Tip us?

sRs DoLLaR mEnU
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default Skype on RT 8.0?

How can I install Skype on my microsoft surface with RT 8.0? I've tried through the metro app store but because I haven't upgraded to 8.1 it won't let me. Does anyone know how to install it on 8.0? I don't want to upgrade to 8.1 because there is no jailbreak yet. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
My Devices:

Apple iPad Air 128GB WiFi+LTE

Nexus 7 2013 LTE (GF's Tablet)
Rom: Completely Stock

Galaxy Note 3 On T-Mobile (GF's Phone)
Rom: Stock

iPhone 5S 64GB Unlocked
Champagne
Jailbroken on iOS 7.0.6

domboy
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sRs DoLLaR mEnU View Post
How can I install Skype on my microsoft surface with RT 8.0? I've tried through the metro app store but because I haven't upgraded to 8.1 it won't let me. Does anyone know how to install it on 8.0? I don't want to upgrade to 8.1 because there is no jailbreak yet. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
That's really strange. I don't have any words of wisdom other than to suggest contacting Skype tech support. I've had Skype on my RT 8.0 for almost as long as I've had the device (and I'm not upgrading to 8.1 for the same reason as you, no jailbreak). I don't use it that much, but it still works (just tried it). My point is, Skype for RT 8.0 at least used to be available, so that's really strange if the store is now requiring 8.1 to install. To me that sounds fishy which is why I'd say take it up with their tech support... there is no reason you should have to upgrade just to install that application.

kitor
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I have skype pre-installed on RT8.0 in my XPS10. Thats seems to be disadventage of app store model - you have no way to install older version (i don't count sideloading here as it's unofficial way).
PDAsite.pl administrator / editor
BTC: 18xC8fHdev86QnmXvGyDqn73uuVYYop6VN

domboy
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitor View Post
Thats seems to be disadventage of app store model - you have no way to install older version (i don't count sideloading here as it's unofficial way).
That and roll back a bad update. Ugh. I really don't like how these "stores" are currently setup. It is entirely possible to do as well, as other operating systems have had software package management systems that can do this for years...