Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,444 Members 42,870 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Few questions...

Tip us?

Wobosh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Few questions...

Q1: Is Perseus alpha 36.3 ok to flash onto a Note 2 using 4.1.2? (ie. thru reading I'm unclear whether that latest Perseus is only for 4.3 or not).

Q2: Starting from rooted standard ROM but only standard recovery, can I flash Perseus (using Odin) - or must I have CWM or TWRP first??

Q3: Further to Q2 above - if custom kernel CAN be flashed even with standard recovery, is the main purpose of a custom recovery then to be able to do nandroid backup etc. first???

Keep in mind I'm not in this to be able to switch and swap roms and kernels left right and centre - once I have perseus running with my standard rooted 4.1.2 rom thats the way the phone will stay until I no longer have it. I don't want to go to 4.3 because of what I'm hearing about knox - I want FASTER phone with BETTER battery life - not the opposite - and fancy features don't matter - I like my standard rom and the extras pereus should bring me will be more than I'll ever want.

sawdoctor
Old
Thanks Meter 1979
Perseus is only for 4.1.2 it was never updated for 4.3. If you have a tar file rather than a zip for Perseus then you can flash it with odin or mobile odin. You will need a custom recovery to flash any zip file. Most people have custom recoveries as most custom roms are only zip files and so can only be flashed through recovery. As you said you can only nandriod with a custom recovery too. You can install a 4.3 rom without dealing with knox, all custom roms should have knox removed. If battery life is your main priority then install greenify

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to sawdoctor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wobosh
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thank you!

One last question - will seem really silly but you'd be surprised how hard I've found it to get / find straight answers (maybe I'm just too old for all this stuff): I want to do a HARD reset to cleanup my N2 - just to tidy things up even if I don't go ahead and root / custom recovery / custom kernel - I know i lose ALL data and non rom apps, but DO I NEED TO REMOVE THE SIM??

Mufrad
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobosh View Post
Thank you!

One last question - will seem really silly but you'd be surprised how hard I've found it to get / find straight answers (maybe I'm just too old for all this stuff): I want to do a HARD reset to cleanup my N2 - just to tidy things up even if I don't go ahead and root / custom recovery / custom kernel - I know i lose ALL data and non rom apps, but DO I NEED TO REMOVE THE SIM??
No, you don't have to remove the Sim.
GALAXY NOTE 3 - DR.KETAN'S CCR K8.1
GALAXY NOTE 2 - DN3 V5+
SONY MT25 - ROOTED CUSTOM ICS
The Following User Says Thank You to Mufrad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

antique_sonic
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobosh View Post
Thank you!

If u have cwm recovery, what u need is zootscript. Just a a custom megawipe from this script. All ur internal usb will be clean to the azz

Sent from N7105, powered by DittoNote3 v.3.2 with AGNi PSN purestock v3.9.3 OC
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man

Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]