[Q] Will Unlocking Bootloader/ Rooting my Verizon LTE Nexus 7 Void it's warranty?

OP trampino96

17th March 2014, 02:34 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

63 posts
More
I don't know if this has been asked or answered yet. I am very new on the scene. Purchased my device today while Verizon had an awesome promotion I was wondering if anyone could answer this question for me, it'd be greatly appreciated thanks in advance to all.
17th March 2014, 04:41 AM   |  #2  
Flag Eldorado
Thanks Meter: 53

133 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yes.

But if you restore the factory Image and relock the bootloader they will never know... effectively restoring your warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldsoldier2003 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th March 2014, 01:22 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 46

271 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampino96

I don't know if this has been asked or answered yet. I am very new on the scene. Purchased my device today while Verizon had an awesome promotion I was wondering if anyone could answer this question for me, it'd be greatly appreciated thanks in advance to all.

Yes, it will void the warranty, however the nexus doesn't have a flash counter, so once you restore the original image and relock the bootloader, the care center won't be able to tell that the bootloader was unlocked in first place.

Restoring nexus 7 to original condition is very easy, check out wug's nexus toolkit, it's very easy to use and had a wide variety of options.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to ngyurov For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th March 2014, 09:06 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 11

140 posts
Sometimes it happens that the fault will not allow you to reflash the stock rom for warranty . There was a guy here on forum with the usb connector broken . So is not totally risk free.
20th March 2014, 03:08 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 47

593 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icrazy

Sometimes it happens that the fault will not allow you to reflash the stock rom for warranty . There was a guy here on forum with the usb connector broken . So is not totally risk free.

Technically they would have to prove the software change caused the usb connector to fail. Pretty unlikely

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nexus 7, root, verizon, warranty
Previous Thread Next Thread