XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sad News Inside : Hint[KNOX]

Tip us?

dandroid13
Old
Thanks Meter 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdithug View Post
Just went to best buy and spoke with a Samsung agent from their Samsung department. Rooting your phone does void your warranty here in Canada and most likely the US as well.

Screw samsung

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
It'll probably be the same for all except maybe Motorola and Sony dev editions.

Ubuntu - "humanidade com os outros" ou "sou o que sou pelo que nůs somos"

Eric214
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
I read that article this morning. All it means is I'm done with Samsung until they revamp their Knox / warranty policy. When you spend hundreds of dollars on a phone, you should be able to customize the software without voiding your warranty. Samsung is garbage now.

When I buy a computer that is preloaded with Windows, then install Linux to dual boot, I don't void my warranty on it. Why should it be different with a phone?

Yeah, I said the same thing. I ended up leaving VZW for Tmo (the ETF payoff thingy) and their Note 3 has unlocked bootloader. Basically a developers edition.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
I knew six months ago that any new Galaxy phone I upgrade to, will be a Google Play Edition only.
That or the Developer edition. Either should be easier to root/ROM.

AT&T and Verizon are for sure locked down. No AOSP ROM's at all.
Not sure about Sprint or T-Mobile?
lol ill repeat myself... thats the same thing I said as well before switching to Tmo and getting their Note 3 which has unlocked bootloader. Basically a developers edition.
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted Wicked v5 (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.

Hellscythe
Old
Thanks Meter 356
Quote:
I read that article this morning. All it means is I'm done with Samsung until they revamp their Knox / warranty policy. When you spend hundreds of dollars on a phone, you should be able to customize the software without voiding your warranty. Samsung is garbage now.

When I buy a computer that is preloaded with Windows, then install Linux to dual boot, I don't void my warranty on it. Why should it be different with a phone?

because you can't brick your computer unless you do stupid things with your motherboard bios or whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hellscythe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xda rocks
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:

+1.
What is a device that do not provide me the way I wanted it to. I truly believe the very popularity of the Samsung is not just for their heavy Touchwiz UI but it provides the customization to the user to use it as they wish.
I never will let Samsung decide how I have to use my phone and it is me who should think what I have to do with my phone.

All that I say is Samsung S5 is Sorry5, Goodbye5, Sucks5 and Knox -5

Josh McGrath
Old
Thanks Meter 64
I don't see what the big deal about Knox is.?? I don't have it but if I did and I have to do a warranty exchange, I'll hard brick it by flashing a bad rom etc. They can't tell it's been flashed or rooted if it won't turn on right?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

akselic
Old
Thanks Meter 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh McGrath View Post
They can't tell it's been flashed or rooted if it won't turn on right?
If they can boot it to download mode they can see the Knox flag so that won't work. And to anyone who said that Knox won't void your warranty in Europe etc.... Are you ready to take Samsung to court just to prove a point? They have voided warranties for custom stuff before and even though many countries have strong consumer laws, you would most likely have to sue Samsung. That would cost more time and money than most people have just to get a warranty repair/replacement.

Plus Samsung isn't the only manufacturer who's doing this. Sony has began locking their bootloaders and it's getting more and more difficult to unlock+root their phones without leaving traces. Same applies to HTC who have an "unlocked" flag for unlocked bootloaders. And LG is catching up etc.

Basically Samsung or not, the days of rooting + flashing without issues are gone. That's just how it is now.

If you want a phone to toy around, get a Nexus or be prepared to take responsibility of your device even if the fault isn't yours.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to akselic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1218
I never cared for warranty stuff,as far as I'm concerned, Knox can kiss my a$$.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Current Device: Nexus 7 2013

Recently Owned

Iphone 5S

LG G Flex

Galaxy Note3

LG G2

The Following User Says Thank You to barondebxl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]