Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,042 Members 46,851 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Plex now works with chromecast without plex pass

Tip us?

wvcadle
Old
Thanks Meter 226
Default Cast from laptop to TV via Plex

Is it possible to cast from the media server/web app to my television without a PlexPass?

I think I understand it correctly to say that if I pay for the app I can cast from Plex on my N5 to Chromecast, but what about from my laptop to Chromecast (without PlexPass)?
Nexus 5: ROM-Slim HTU84P | Kernel-ElementalX
Nexus 7: ROM-Stock KRT16S, Kernel-Stock
People who deserve thanks don't have to ask for it.

DJames1
Old
Thanks Meter 91
^ In theory yes, but a lot of people are having trouble getting the cast icon to appear in Plex Web according to the Plex Web forum. I have two Win7 computers running Plex Web side by side, and I can get the cast icon to appear on one, but not the other. So far Plex doesn't have an explanation except to say that it's experimental and blame the Google Cast plugin in Chrome.

wvcadle
Old
Thanks Meter 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post
^ In theory yes, but a lot of people are having trouble getting the cast icon to appear in Plex Web according to the Plex Web forum. I have two Win7 computers running Plex Web side by side, and I can get the cast icon to appear on one, but not the other. So far Plex doesn't have an explanation except to say that it's experimental and blame the Google Cast plugin in Chrome.
Is it their intention to allow this, or just something that can done?
Nexus 5: ROM-Slim HTU84P | Kernel-ElementalX
Nexus 7: ROM-Stock KRT16S, Kernel-Stock
People who deserve thanks don't have to ask for it.