Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 46,106 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New to Samsung, few quick questions

Tip us?

WangChung81
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Question [Q] New to Samsung, few quick questions

Hey guys, I've finally had enough of trying to make my MT4GS work how it should and am finally starting to seriously shop around. I think I've settled on the GS4 but I've been lost wading through hundreds of forum posts. Honestly I just have one question: If I go to the T-Mo store right now today and buy a GS4, is it possible for me to flash the Google Play version of the ROM to the phone? I'm kind of confused with the whole Knox update thing whether or not it's possible, though I did catch the post about not letting the phone update and clearing the cache on first boot.

I know the answer is somewhere spread across multiple posts, but I just wanted to get a definitive answer before I go get the phone. Thanks for your help in advance!

xda23
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Yes you can.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

Corwinder
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Yes, you can. I bought mine with 4.3 installed. Rooted that, then reflashed stock to get 4.4 when it came out. When I rooted 4.4 I didn't pay attention well enough and used a method that tripped Knox. If you want GPE don't worry, you're gonna trip Knox which is no big deal unless you want the warranty. When I realized I've tripped Knox I have installed 4 different roms including Google Play Edition. I need wifi calling so I'm back to a TW based rom now.