Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,346 Members 47,121 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Improvements by "updating" bootloader with stock 4.4

Tip us?

ral9005
Old
(Last edited by ral9005; 20th March 2014 at 10:35 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Improvements by "updating" bootloader with stock 4.4

Hey guys,

I unlocked my bootloader some months ago (my Z1 came with stock 4.3) and use SlimKat (weekly ATM) since then.

Now that the official 4.4 update is released, I wonder if there are any advantages (like better cam, wifi, newer modem) from locking the BL, installing stock 4.4 and unlocking BL again, to go back to a custom ROM.

I come from a Samsung device where you could update e.g. the modem/baseband seperately and I understand that in Sony devices all these things are fix in bootloader.

Thanks for your help!

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 612
You don't have to relock your bootloader, just flash 4.4 via Flashtool v0.9.14. The step of relock and unlock the Bootlader after flash 4.4 have no benefits at all, just waste of time.

BTW, via Flashtool you can flash baseband only, if you want.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ral9005
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hey eclyptos, thanks for your reply and the tip. But if do this, does this have any advantages like I stated in the OP?

pdaaalex
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclyptos View Post
You don't have to relock your bootloader, just flash 4.4 via Flashtool v0.9.14. The step of relock and unlock the Bootlader after flash 4.4 have no benefits at all, just waste of time.

BTW, via Flashtool you can flash baseband only, if you want.
Having your locked bootloader does not involve some enhancements in photo quality? apart of the bravia engine and other things...

I believed that there were issues with camera quality on UB (that is why I haven't done it yet), so if there are no advantages, I might be unlocking it really soon...
Z1 with iHackers 4.1

eclyptos
Old
Thanks Meter 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral9005 View Post
Hey eclyptos, thanks for your reply and the tip. But if do this, does this have any advantages like I stated in the OP?
I want remind you first to DO NOT Relock Bootloader on Custom Kernels because you will brick your phone. So if you asking about Kitkat 4.4 itself and not bootloader, then I can say, you have to try it because is the newest Version of 4.4.2, last update of Slimkat was 3th March. Some improvement was made like in Pictures and Smoothness but very tiny difference so is up to you.

About Bootloader, if you asking, the only advantage you will get in Relock Bootlader if you will keep it locked so everything will work like it should, but if you want to Unlocking again after update then don't relock it in first place because it's a waste of time, it will be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdaaalex View Post
Having your locked bootloader does not involve some enhancements in photo quality? apart of the bravia engine and other things...

I believed that there were issues with camera quality on UB (that is why I haven't done it yet), so if there are no advantages, I might be unlocking it really soon...
Somebody see differences, somebody doesn't. I try to keep it locked until something really amazing don't come out or will encrease the developing section for Z1.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4
The Following User Says Thank You to eclyptos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]