5,606,409 Members 33,397 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Chromecast LED status definition

Tip us?

Wayno-san
Old
(Last edited by Wayno-san; 22nd December 2013 at 06:42 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Chromecast LED status definition

I picked up a Chromecast a couple of days ago but am having trouble with it and I can't find a decoder ring for the status LED. I don't see a Q&A form for this device or the info in the FAQ so I'm posting here.

Here's my issue: After initial setup/connection I was able to cast youtube/music/pandora just fine. I noticed that the status LED during that time was solid white. My assumption is that this is the status which the device should always be in. However in the morning (same thing 2 days now) I no longer get the cast icon in any of the apps, even though the chromecast app says that the device is "ready to cast". At this point the LED is blinking white. Does this mean disconnected from router? Unplugging/plugging the unit back in from power/HDMI fixed the problem but it just reoccurs the next morning. Any thoughts?

I'm using a Linksys E3000 router running Tomato 1.28 I believe. AP isolation is OFF.

Anyone have a full breakdown of the LED meanings?

Ps: i forgot to add that for a successful reconnect I have to unplug both power and HDMI, plug power back in until the LED goes solid white, and then plug HDMI back in. Just cycling power does not work.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno-san View Post
However in the morning (same thing 2 days now) I no longer get the cast icon in any of the apps, even though the chromecast app says that the device is "ready to cast". At this point the LED is blinking white. Does this mean disconnected from router? Unplugging/plugging the unit back in from power/HDMI fixed the problem but it just reoccurs the next morning. Any thoughts?
Ps: i forgot to add that for a successful reconnect I have to unplug both power and HDMI, plug power back in until the LED goes solid white, and then plug HDMI back in. Just cycling power does not work.
Don't trust the status given in the Chromecast app - it has a tendency to be incorrect with respect to Ready to Cast, Needs Setup, etc. Always go by what Chromecast shows you on the TV screen.

Blinking white - Chromecast is not connected to a WiFi access point (this is also the state it goes into when it needs to be set up)
Solid white - Chromecast is connected to a WiFi access point (it may or may not have access to the Internet)
Solid Red - booting, or settings reset triggered (by holding button down)

As for your problem...
The first thing I'd try is using the HDMI Extender - that will reduce the amount of WiFi signal interference/blockage you get from your TV.

Check your router's (advanced) settings for any power-saving features. Some APs reduce signal strength when there's little/no WiFi activity, so it might be dropping the signal enough that Chromecast loses its connection.

Not sure why you have to unplug HDMI - you shouldn't, unless your TV is providing enough (or more than zero) power on the HDMI port to keep Chromecast alive or semi-alive. Does it show any light or attempt to light when you plug it into HDMI but don't have the power connected?
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Wayno-san
Old
(Last edited by Wayno-san; 22nd December 2013 at 11:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I already have the extender on. No power through the HDMI but it won't reconnect unless I unplug it. I have it powered externally and not via TV's USB port. Don't remember any energy saving features on the router but I'll take another look.

I get excellent reception during streaming so I don't know why it's disconnecting...

Wayno-san
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
I already have the extender on. No power through the HDMI but it won't reconnect unless I unplug it. I have it powered externally and not via TV's USB port. Don't remember any energy saving features on the router but I'll take another look.

I get excellent reception during streaming so I don't know why it's disconnecting...
Well, I'm not sure what happened (maybe there was a firmware update?) but Chromecast has remained connected and stable for the last 3 days.... I didn't touch anything... go figure.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Well, I'm not sure what happened (maybe there was a firmware update?) but Chromecast has remained connected and stable for the last 3 days.... I didn't touch anything... go figure.
If it makes you feel any better, either we're both crazy, or both not.
The same thing happened to me. WiFi simply would not stay connected with 12072, everything was fine on 13300. It would complain on first boot, then would reconnect in a few minutes and stay connected.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Wayno-san
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Yeah, seems like whatever happened fixed both problems because it now even reconnects after a power cycle (previously I had to disconnect HDMI also for it to reconnect). Sweet!

Zammo76
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I got a connection issue similar to this then other day and had to run the installation app again to get it to reconnect.

Slipurson
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zammo76 View Post
I got a connection issue similar to this then other day and had to run the installation app again to get it to reconnect.
Couple of months old this thread, but had the same issue, watch a movie through Avia yesterday, came home from work today and it was blinking white, reboot didnt help, unplug and reboot didnt help. Had to reset with the button pressed for 20-25 seconds.. works as it should now tho..
My Phones:
Samsung Galaxy Mini [GT-S5570], Samsung Galaxy SII [GT-I9100], Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini [GT-I8190], Samsung Galaxy SIII [GT-I9300] and a Nokia N8-00
My Tabs:
Samsung Galaxy Tab3 7.0 [SM-T210], Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 LTE [GT-N5120], 2x PoV Tegra 2 10" and a PoV Mobii 7"
The Following User Says Thank You to Slipurson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zammo76
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I've done a few things recently that seemed to have all but stopped my Chromecast connection issues.

1. Changed my phones IP from DHCP to Static. You do this by selecting you're Wifi access point and holding down on it until Modify Network comes up, select it, then check the Show advanced options box, then you'll seee the option to change the IP settings from DHCP to Static.

2. Go into Avia's setting and make sure the Lock Wifi on box is checked. Be warned though this does cain you're phones power so switche it off when you've finished casting.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zammo76 View Post
I've done a few things recently that seemed to have all but stopped my Chromecast connection issues.

1. Changed my phones IP from DHCP to Static. You do this by selecting you're Wifi access point and holding down on it until Modify Network comes up, select it, then check the Show advanced options box, then you'll seee the option to change the IP settings from DHCP to Static.

2. Go into Avia's setting and make sure the Lock Wifi on box is checked. Be warned though this does cain you're phones power so switche it off when you've finished casting.
#2 is the main one here, though your phone might have been hopping between IP leases if you router's DHCP lease time is set very low. Usually it's ~8 days which should more than cover your phone disconnecting WiFi and reconnecting a few times, unless you're binge-watching multiple seasons of something.