Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,083 Members 42,657 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Awesome App Idea

Tip us?

NMGxda
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Awesome App Idea

I have an idea for a Chromecast app. The basics are that the TV will act as a computer screen, and the device will act as a keyboard and mouse. Who would be interested in this?

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGxda View Post
I have an idea for a Chromecast app. The basics are that the TV will act as a computer screen, and the device will act as a keyboard and mouse. Who would be interested in this?
Computer screen for... remote control of a computer?

I would find that useful as long as there is not too much delay.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

NMGxda
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Remote control...sure. I was also thinking it could be a device-created enviornment like the Motorola Lapdock. Now that I think of it, my friend has a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, and I remember there being an option similar to this when plugged into a TV via miniHDMI to HDMI. It had a web browser, but that was it. But the phone was used as a mouse and keyboard.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGxda View Post
Remote control...sure. I was also thinking it could be a device-created enviornment like the Motorola Lapdock. Now that I think of it, my friend has a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, and I remember there being an option similar to this when plugged into a TV via miniHDMI to HDMI. It had a web browser, but that was it. But the phone was used as a mouse and keyboard.
The challenge to second "attached" screen is really just lag since Chromecast is a separate device.

Koush's Mirror app I believe uses both OS hooks and hardware assistance to get the screen compressed and sent over.

This sounds like a "second screen" Mirror type app, leaving the keyboard/control on the primary screen.

I like the concept.

Now that I can't figure out how to load a web page in Vbukit, I would also be happy with just being able to launch a browser on Chromecast and control it from phone/tablet, similar to your friend's Droid Razr Maxx.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

EarlyMon
Old
Thanks Meter 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Now that I can't figure out how to load a web page in Vbukit, I would also be happy with just being able to launch a browser on Chromecast and control it from phone/tablet, similar to your friend's Droid Razr Maxx.
Workaround - tab cast your PC, RemoteDroid on your Android. If you want a good approximation to your PC, add Hackers Keyboard.
Bang!

Best new gun forum Ballistically Speaking

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
Workaround - tab cast your PC, RemoteDroid on your Android. If you want a good approximation to your PC, add Hackers Keyboard.
That would work, but hoping for something a little less fiddly. +1 on Hackers Keyboard tho.
Right now if I really need to show a browser, I switch input to my HTPC - just have to retype the address, which is the main convenience with being able to "fling" the browser window to Chromecast, assuming I'm on my phone/tablet. If I'm on my PC, just tab cast.

EarlyMon
Old
Thanks Meter 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
That would work, but hoping for something a little less fiddly. +1 on Hackers Keyboard tho.
Right now if I really need to show a browser, I switch input to my HTPC - just have to retype the address, which is the main convenience with being able to "fling" the browser window to Chromecast, assuming I'm on my phone/tablet. If I'm on my PC, just tab cast.
I keep a Jabber window open on my HTPC, copy the link to myself on my phone and just tap that on the HTPC.

Anything to never retype a url.

In any case - Chromecast for WebTV - if I'm not mistaken, the must-have thing in TV from back in the 90s.
Bang!

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 849

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
I keep a Jabber window open on my HTPC, copy the link to myself on my phone and just tap that on the HTPC.

Anything to never retype a url.

In any case - Chromecast for WebTV - if I'm not mistaken, the must-have thing in TV from back in the 90s.
Good idea! I never considered IM-ing myself, hehe.

Convergence Round 1 never really happened... not enough broadband or content back then.
Round 2 got close with Smart TVs, but still cumbersome (esp without keyboard)
Round 3 with Chromecast, getting closer... but the pico projectors still might win.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

EarlyMon
Old
(Last edited by EarlyMon; 21st March 2014 at 02:37 AM.)
Thanks Meter 545
Until the Awesome App comes out and if one can't afford/doesn't want an HTPC, $75 will net you a stick and wireless keyboard that can do basically the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-Android-S.../dp/B009JBGR80

Not a bad sort of deal on the whole.

Btw - I wouldn't be surprised if Chromecast 2 (now in fictional status) wouldn't be a combination Android stick + Chromecast.

And I agree - Pico projectors are very cool.
Bang!

Tags
app, suggestion