Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,001 Members 39,633 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S4 MK2 Help & Root questions

Tip us?

kkrucek
Old
(Last edited by kkrucek; 20th March 2014 at 05:03 PM.) Reason: wrong ver
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default S4 MK2 Help & Root questions

Have a i545
MK2
Andriod ver 4.3

I had a driod X root with custom rom so I am not a total noob... just been holding off on the S4 to understand it better. I really just need to be able to create a hot spot

What are my root options Saferoot?

How can I unlock boot loader

What is...... Knox Warranty Void flag

ericmtnbkr
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Saferoot is your best bet.

Can't unlock bootloader

Knox Warranty Void flag is just that. It's a flag to let people know you did something Samsung did not want you to do (ie install a custom BL) and now your warranty is void.

kkrucek
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmtnbkr View Post
Saferoot is your best bet.

Can't unlock bootloader

Knox Warranty Void flag is just that. It's a flag to let people know you did something Samsung did not want you to do (ie install a custom BL) and now your warranty is void.

Is there a way to do like a full back before ... like take a image of the device so it can be restored.

What's the best Rom ... Really looking to be able to wifi teather so when I ma at my lake house I can get internet on my laptop... Any Rom better at teather of is that just a app thing

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrucek View Post
Is there a way to do like a full back before ... like take a image of the device so it can be restored.

What's the best Rom ... Really looking to be able to wifi teather so when I ma at my lake house I can get internet on my laptop... Any Rom better at teather of is that just a app thing
Several threads you need to read...One is a sticky here in the general sections..The others in dev section about safestrap and safe root

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1539

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrucek View Post

To back up, install Safestrap recovery. Then you can take a nandroid of your stock phone that you can restore later.

I tether my phone on a stock ROM using the built in hotspot. WiFi tethering is free if you're not on an unlimited plan.
If you are on an unlimited data plan, then you just have to pay for it.
There are people who have figured out how to defraud VZ and tether on an unlimited plan, however.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1