MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How to sim unlock! I'm Confused please Help!

OP pitbullmommy45245

17th March 2014, 05:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33

611 posts
More
Ok so i have been researching and i'm soooo confused. I am on 4.3. I have read that i need to downgrade but doing so will hard brick my phone. I need to sim unlock it so i can use it on cincinnati bell. can somone please tell me how i can sim unlock my phone successfully? When i go into the hidden menu i have the option that says rat_free_support.
17th March 2014, 03:22 PM   |  #2  
Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 74

355 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullmommy45245

Ok so i have been researching and i'm soooo confused. I am on 4.3. I have read that i need to downgrade but doing so will hard brick my phone. I need to sim unlock it so i can use it on cincinnati bell. can somone please tell me how i can sim unlock my phone successfully? When i go into the hidden menu i have the option that says rat_free_support.

Unfortunately, nobody has yet posted a method to successfully free unlock the S3 running on 4.3. It's possible to downgrade your ROM only to 4.1.1 without downgrading the bootloader and retain full phone functionality. However, you would still not be able to free unlock as you need to be on complete stock 4.1.1, including the bootloader, to be able to free unlock. Until someone comes up with an exploit, your best options now would either be to request the unlock code from your carrier, if eligible, or purchase an unlock code online.
20th March 2014, 07:47 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

611 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

Unfortunately, nobody has yet posted a method to successfully free unlock the S3 running on 4.3. It's possible to downgrade your ROM only to 4.1.1 without downgrading the bootloader and retain full phone functionality. However, you would still not be able to free unlock as you need to be on complete stock 4.1.1, including the bootloader, to be able to free unlock. Until someone comes up with an exploit, your best options now would either be to request the unlock code from your carrier, if eligible, or purchase an unlock code online.

so i got a different s3. its on 4.1.2. i'm trying to downgrade but i can't find the firmware download anywhere
20th March 2014, 10:10 PM   |  #4  
Atlanta, GA

355 posts
More
Quote:

so i got a different s3. its on 4.1.2. i'm trying to downgrade but i can't find the firmware download anywhere

Downgrading 4.1.2 to 4.1.1 and unlocking is a breeze. You will find the Odin flashable file and downgrading instructions via the link below...

http://fortedge.com/downgrade.html
21st March 2014, 03:44 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

611 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999

Downgrading 4.1.2 to 4.1.1 and unlocking is a breeze. You will find the Odin flashable file and downgrading instructions via the link below...

http://fortedge.com/downgrade.html

thank u so much. the file says its a rom though? do i have to root my phone. my phone is completly stock unrooted or anything.
21st March 2014, 04:01 AM   |  #6  
Atlanta, GA

355 posts
More
Quote:

thank u so much. the file says its a rom though? do i have to root my phone. my phone is completly stock unrooted or anything.

It's a zip file. You would need to download it extract all files. The file to flash via Odin is: I747UCDLK3_I747ATTDLK3_I747UCDLK3_HOME.tar.md5. It doesn't matter whether your phone is rooted or not. A successful flash will deliver a complete stock image. When downgrading from 4.1.2 to 4.1.1, you may experience some error messages after reboot due to some remnants of 4.1.2 on the system. This can be resolved by doing a reset to factory settings either via recovery or from the settings menu.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread