Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,239 Members 48,892 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Would you buy the Gear again or go with something else?
Yes, I like/love my Gear and would buy it again. 22 81.48%
No, I'd buy another smartwatch and not the Gear. 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

[Discussion] Would you buy the Galaxy Gear again or buy another smartwatch?

Tip us?

RDA3440
Old
(Last edited by RDA3440; 20th March 2014 at 09:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
I am definitely NOT going to be purchasing a Samsung smart watch - even if it washes my car and cleans my house. (Samsung will just remove the features AFTER you buy it).

Samsung recently REMOVED key features (in fact, the MAIN reason I bought the watch) with a recent update where there was no change log information posted.

Suddenly I no longer get my exchange email previews on my watch; A key feature for me because it was not feasible to pull out my phone to check the urgency of an email during a meeting without appearing to be rude. With my Gear, I could quickly glance and make the determination as to whether or not I needed to excuse myself from a meeting.

I am definitely in the market for a smart watch. I am happy to pay up to $400 depending on functionality maybe even a bit more. My Gear is the most inexpensive watch I have owned. It is just too bad that Samsung is simply too dishonest to trust them any more.

Definitely going to start shopping for the next generation of Smart watches. Samsung is NOT going to make it to the short list.
Current Devices: (Telus Mobility/Canada)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900W8)
Samsung Galaxy Gear (SM-V700)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M)
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 8GB/512GB

Samsung Ticket REF ID: 2122396737 still open as of Nov. 3, 2013

Brendo
Old
Thanks Meter 506

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDA3440 View Post
I am definitely NOT going to be purchasing a Samsung smart watch - even if it washes my car and cleans my house. (Samsung will just remove the features AFTER you buy it).

Samsung recently REMOVED key features (in fact, the MAIN reason I bought the watch) with a recent update where there was no change log information posted.

Suddenly I no longer get my exchange email previews on my watch; A key feature for me because it was not feasible to pull out my phone to check the urgency of an email during a meeting without appearing to be rude. With my Gear, I could quickly glance and make the determination as to whether or not I needed to excuse myself from a meeting.

I am definitely in the market for a smart watch. I am happy to pay up to $400 depending on functionality maybe even a bit more. My Gear is the most inexpensive watch I have owned. It is just too bad that Samsung is simply too dishonest to trust them any more.

Definitely going to start shopping for the next generation of Smart watches. Samsung is NOT going to make it to the short list.
That decision is not necessarily in their hands. Exchange email accounts generally come with other security allowances such as being able to wipe your device. I'd prefer to think they decided the easier option is to just let you know that an email arrived instead of the security implications

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Samsung Galaxy S IV (i9505) | 16GB
[ROM: Stock KK 4.4.2 | XXUFNC9 | MODEM GSM/LTE: XXUEML4/XXUFMC9 | BL: PRE-KNOX | K: ADAM | RECOVERY: PhilZ]
DOMINATION | XPOSED

OTHER DEVICES:

Google Nexus 5 | 32GB
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (P7310) | 32Gb
[ROM: CM10.2 | CPU: 1.4ghz]
Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1 LTE (T525) | 16Gb

Pebble (Kickstarter)
Galaxy Gear (Null_)
Gear Live ()
Google Glass (Explorer)

--------
My Android Downloads

RDA3440
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
I don't think this can be turned off via exchange security settings.

I'll look into that again tomorrow to verify and post back.

It just seems offensive to take something away without disclosing it first...
Current Devices: (Telus Mobility/Canada)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900W8)
Samsung Galaxy Gear (SM-V700)
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337M)
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 8GB/512GB

Samsung Ticket REF ID: 2122396737 still open as of Nov. 3, 2013