Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,005 Members 38,031 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why would you want to change the IMEI on a phone you have just purchased?

Tip us?

DrewYK
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] Why would you want to change the IMEI on a phone you have just purchased?

So we are clear: I am not talking about stolen phones. I am not asking how to change the IMEI on any device.

I am aware of someone who is involved in drugs, I know her mother but I do really know anything about her. It seems to me that she has some kind of scam going on with buying and reporting cell phones stolen. I really do not know the details of the scam, still putting the pieces together.

She took her mother's vehicle one night. Days later the mother was able to locate it and take it back.

In the truck was a lot of stuff, one was a receipt for four new phones on an ATT family plan. In the bottom portion it listed the same phones as the top portion with a statement regarding changing the IMEI.

I guess I am wondering if anyone knows what -if any- advantage there is to having the store change the IMEI of the phone you just bought?

Is this part of some scam anyone might be aware of?

I didn't even imagine that the store would, or could, change the IMEI before seeing this.

eatsleep
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Interested story though! :P
Unused Ram is wasted Ram

Phones:
Samsung Galaxy SIII Gt-i9300
Archidroid 1.7.16
Archikernel 1.3
Twrp 2.7.100

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 11,116

DONATE TO ME
Ok First off. Talks about this are not allowed on XDA. Now that is clear le me explain what is going on.

When a device is reported stolen/lost the carrier can put a block on the IMEI so it can not be used on the network. In EU they can do it so it doesnt work on any network in the area. By changing the IMEI (which is illegal in 98% of the world) This allows the device to be used on the network. This allows the device to be resold as a working device. Only the OEM has the rights to change these numbers. And I dont mean the phone OEM I mean the OEM for the main board which is where this number is hard coded.

I would stay as far away from this girl as you can. She is gonna get you caught up in more drama then you know.

Thread closed

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

Tags
imei, imei change
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe