Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,719 Members 38,567 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Secure Fail : Kernel

Tip us?

QuantaGolla
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Secure Fail : Kernel

Hi all this is my first post here so try not to get too upset with me.

This is also my first time rooting a phone or flashing a rom. I used this guide to root my phone, I had no problem with this step.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuBuD9aL12o

And this is the custom rom and guide that I attempted to use.. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1973982

I followed the steps and installed the 4.3 ML1 Modem.

I skipped step 2 because I don't care if anything got deleted.

I did most of step 3 and did a factory reset (but not a davlick wipe because I didn't know how to, but later read somewhere that I needed ?ODIN? to get to the davlick wipe?)

Now when I attempted to install the rom I got an error saying Secure Fail : Kernel System on the top of the screen and in the middle is a yellow triangle, at the bottom it's saying.. System software not authorized by Verizon Wireless blah blah blah... I thought my phone was bricked and I was screwed, but I can start it if I enter ?download mode? ( hold volume down button home button and power button all at once ) then I hit cancel and restart phone. When in the restart boot sequence a Samsung Logo comes up and there is an unlocked key pad at the bottom, when on that screen I mash the volume buttons and power button then it will start normally.

So now that the phone is started I was looking at my apps and I have only one and a half pages of apps, which is still a lot less than what the stock phone came with so something that I installed worked... I think... and I still have access to my data and I can sign into my WIFI and all my apps work but I can no longer get to the Safe Mode Startup and I believe that I am stuck.

I have looked at other threads on this site and on others but I can not find a clear explanation on how to do it. I'm also a little worried about trying some fix that was posted a year ago. If anyone knows please help me!! I really want to get a custom rom on my phone because right now I can't do anything.

Please don't leave out any steps even simple ones because I don't know exactly what I'm doing. Please and Thank You!!

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 692
Are you on 4.1.2 or 4.3?

If you don't know, boot into download mode, then volume up and post what it says.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

QuantaGolla
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

QuantaGolla
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
it says....
current binary : custom
system status: custom
QUALCOMM : secure boot enable
warranty bit : 1
bootloader ap swrev : 1

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaGolla View Post
it says....
current binary : custom
system status: custom
QUALCOMM : secure boot enable
warranty bit : 1
bootloader ap swrev : 1
Here's your fix:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2586319

And here's directions after you fix it:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2639337

The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

QuantaGolla
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Which One?

This is probably a dumb question but which one do I follow? 4.3 with Odin or 4.3 with Verizon Utility? I mean what's the difference?

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaGolla View Post
This is probably a dumb question but which one do I follow? 4.3 with Odin or 4.3 with Verizon Utility? I mean what's the difference?
Use whichever you feel more comfortable with, either will work.

The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

QuantaGolla
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks!! My phone is now back to normal! I was just way too terrified of bricking my phone. But I now know that it has become a lot easier since I last tried to root on my Droid Incredible.