Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

[Q] General question about backing up

OP brutusthegeek

21st March 2014, 10:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
I'm just starting with android and planning on rooting my phone (vD800) eventually. I made a backup here: all settings> general> backup and reset but I don't think this is what I need for recovering from a failed root. What do I need to get so I can make an image of the phone? I have lots of questions but that'll do it for now.
21st March 2014, 11:18 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 50

146 posts
You need to first root then install custom recovery then make a back up...

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app
22nd March 2014, 02:06 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scram99

You need to first root then install custom recovery then make a back up...

Ok that kind of goes against everything I know about computers but ok. What am I going to use for a failed root then? Where does my backup image come from? Thanks
22nd March 2014, 06:33 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 6

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusthegeek

Ok that kind of goes against everything I know about computers but ok. What am I going to use for a failed root then? Where does my backup image come from? Thanks

What do you mean by failed root? I've never experienced such a thing. To root follow this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=869

You don't replace the OS until after the custom recovery (such as TWRP) is installed. So after you install TWRP or whichever recovery you want just boot in to the recovery and then backup there. Then flash whichever ROM you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to stillwaiting255 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd March 2014, 03:31 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Ok I get the part about not replacing the OS until you are rooted. So just root it and if I fail post here and see if anyone can help?
I guess I'm just trying to be sure I understand what I'm getting into before I do something that could seriously mess up my phone.
22nd March 2014, 03:35 PM   |  #6  
Flag Greenville SC
Thanks Meter: 2,662

7,887 posts
Donate to Me
More
You can use the LG backup app on your phone, it's quite good. Then move or copy the backup file to the computer for safekeeping. I did this when I downgraded back to jellybean from kitkat in order to root kitkat and it worked perfectly. There's nothing about the root process for jellybean that will hurt the phone or cause data loss.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread