[FIX] Installed TWRP and now you're stuck after OTA?

Search This thread

mariio85

Oct 3, 2013
Agrigento
Use the procedure in your link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476. When you have Custom Recovery installed, it prevents Over The Air updates from completing. That's why you still see 4.2.2 on the phone. There are also other methods that allow you to have Custom Recovery, and Root on a Stock ROM, but it only works on some variants, if I remember correctly.

Here is a link to the ATT version of KK with Custom Recovery and Root. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2483043
There may be other versions available by now too.

Thanks dude, my friend's phone is an italian version (no brand), will this procedure revert to stock also the recovery? Coz he wants to revert it back to full stock. Thanks again :)

Tapatalked with my Galaxy S4

SuperSport

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
Use the procedure in your link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476. When you have Custom Recovery installed, it prevents Over The Air updates from completing. That's why you still see 4.2.2 on the phone. There are also other methods that allow you to have Custom Recovery, and Root on a Stock ROM, but it only works on some variants, if I remember correctly.

Here is a link to the ATT version of KK with Custom Recovery and Root. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2483043
There may be other versions available by now too.

Thanks dude, my friend's phone is an italian version (no brand), will this procedure revert to stock also the recovery? Coz he wants to revert it back to full stock. Thanks again :)

Tapatalked with my Galaxy S4
Yes, using this method removes Custom Recovery and Root, and puts it back to stock. Just be sure you select the proper Stock Image for YOUR phone. If you flash the wrong one, you can end up with a phone that does not work anymore.

Reactions: mariio85

eadred

Jan 21, 2010
I am actually preparing to install the update from lg. I have D802 stock rooted with twrp. Last time I got into a bootloop and had to go through the aforementionned procedure. I want to give another try and I heard I should do two things:
1) remove any system mod (that is among other the xdabbeb camera)
2) update with usb cable and lgmobile support tool
I did the last update (pre-KK) with lgmobile support tool to not face the boot loop. I worked well, but I had to root again.
I would like to do the same to update to kitkat. Will I also be able to root again with KK?

Parinibbana

Dec 28, 2013
OTA while rooted and CWM-recovery installed

I did an OTA while being rooted and having CWM installed. Now I´m stuck in bootloop, but "can" get into CWM and use adb-commands.

Does the method outlined here also work for devices which have CWM installed, or is it only relevant for TWRP?

Last edited:

mariio85

Oct 3, 2013
Agrigento
I did an OTA while being rooted and having CWM installed. Now I´m stuck in bootloop, but "can" get into CWM and use adb-commands.

Does the method outlined here also work for devices which have CWM installed, or is it only relevant for TWRP?

a friend of mine had your same problem yesterday and he also had CWM, i followed the steps in the OP i linked a few posts before (method 1) and i solved the problem through adb. Phone worked perfectly right after ;)

Last edited:

Parinibbana

Dec 28, 2013
After reading through 27 pages of this thread I gave it a try. Voila. Works perfectly fine. After four days of reading and trying all kind of things to get rid of my bootloop, finally I found the solution.
Just two adb-commands. So simple. Great stuff.

Thanks so much for this thread.

Last edited:

makov

Dec 11, 2010
Lahore
Howdy all!

Did you install TWRP and then take the OTA, now you can't get your phone to boot normally, but you do see TWRP?

Here's the easy fix:

If you have ADB access, plug in your phone and run this:

Code:
adb shell
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota of=/sdcard/fota-backup.img
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota

Then you should be able to successfully reboot your phone via the TWRP menu option, or via a simple reboot command in adb.

If you DONT have ADB access (because of an early build of TWRP), you can simply use TWRP's awesome "terminal command" option to run the following:

Code:

You'll have to type that whole thing out, and be VERY careful with spaces and punctuation. One wrong letter and you could nuke your phone.

After that finishes, you can reboot and continue on your happy way!

Let me know if this helps anyone!

As usual, I'm on #lg-g2 in Freenode as IOMonster, if I'm around I'll be happy to help wherever I can.

Not able to do so :$ gives me Error Device not found
plus not able to install the driver using windows , I have installed the LG drivers. need help its been my 2nd day im moving here and there not couldn't found any help! ...

da_reeseboy

Oct 30, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Not able to do so :$ gives me Error Device not found
plus not able to install the driver using windows , I have installed the LG drivers. need help its been my 2nd day im moving here and there not couldn't found any help! ...

We need some more details to be able to help. "Error device not found" means that the computer doesn't see it, possibly because it didn't detect it correctly and didn't install the drivers.
Why can't you install the driver using windows?
Is there an unknown device listed in device manager when you plug it into the computer?
Which recovery are you using? If its twrp, you can use the terminal feature in TWRP and type the command in there.

makov

Dec 11, 2010
Lahore
We need some more details to be able to help. "Error device not found" means that the computer doesn't see it, possibly because it didn't detect it correctly and didn't install the drivers.
Why can't you install the driver using windows?
Is there an unknown device listed in device manager when you plug it into the computer?
Which recovery are you using? If its twrp, you can use the terminal feature in TWRP and type the command in there.

No the computer recognize it but i am not able to update it it remain with this kinda of icon im attaching the picture. no there is no unkown device
this the only device currently connected and im using TWRP Recovery 2.7.0.0
here is the image

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 149

da_reeseboy

Oct 30, 2008
Atlanta, GA
No the computer recognize it but i am not able to update it it remain with this kinda of icon im attaching the picture. no there is no unkown device
this the only device currently connected and im using TWRP Recovery 2.7.0.0
here is the image

Ok, I remember mine doing the same thing. I had to manually choose the driver to use. Give me a minute and I can get you more info on which driver I chose that worked for me.

da_reeseboy

Oct 30, 2008
Atlanta, GA

1. Right click the device, then choose update driver.
2. Choose Browse my computer (not search automatically)
3. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers
4. If it asks for what type of device, choose ADB Interface
5. Then under manufacturer, select Google
6. At this point, you should have something in the list like "LGE Mobile Sooner Single ADB Interface". Choose it and click next, finish.

That should do it.

Edit: Those are the steps in Windows 7. It looks like you have Win8 so they might not be exactly the same, but it should be pretty close.

Last edited:

Amarali123

Apr 9, 2013
Cheers for the fix.

Now that I successfully booted back, where on earth are all the stock recovery .img mirrors for the D802? I'd like to flash back to stock recovery in order to take the KK OTA

os2baba

May 4, 2009
not an error.

if wiping FOTA alone doesnt work just try wiping MISC as well.

adb shell

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc

reboot the phone... hope it boots.

Thank you so much! Wiping out fota by itself did not work. But wiping out misc as well worked like a charm. I foolishly tried to install the OTA for KitKat from Sprint today with TWRP. Now I'll just wait for the TWRP flashable zip file to popup on XDA.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Howdy all!

Did you install TWRP and then take the OTA, now you can't get your phone to boot normally, but you do see TWRP?

Here's the easy fix:

If you have ADB access, plug in your phone and run this:

Code:
    adb shell
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota of=/sdcard/fota-backup.img

Then you should be able to successfully reboot your phone via the TWRP menu option, or via a simple reboot command in adb.

If you DONT have ADB access (because of an early build of TWRP), you can simply use TWRP's awesome "terminal command" option to run the following:

Code:

You'll have to type that whole thing out, and be VERY careful with spaces and punctuation. One wrong letter and you could nuke your phone.

After that finishes, you can reboot and continue on your happy way!

Let me know if this helps anyone!

As usual, I'm on #lg-g2 in Freenode as IOMonster, if I'm around I'll be happy to help wherever I can.
    What worked for me was from the TWRP terminal command was to type

then hit enter

type

then hit enter and reboot.

got help from the IRC xda-devs for the second step to complete the fix.
    I too get the file folder. How do i get the terminal command in TWRP?

When you see the file folder just ignore that and hit "select "on the bottom right and that will bring it up. Just type the command from there
    Bumping this for visibility--can anyone help/fix what's up with this error message?

ZDWnsWl.jpg

not an error.

if wiping FOTA alone doesnt work just try wiping MISC as well.

adb shell

reboot the phone... hope it boots.
    FOR MY FRIENDS WITH WINDOWS 8...

I tried to use this method but the driver don't recognize the phone (in device manager the phone is recognized as "other devices" with the yellow exclamation next to it), but found that manually updating the device as it is an ADB interface (I used specifically the "LGE Mobile Sooner Single ADB Interface") allowed me to use ADB. After that it worked perfectly.