5,599,190 Members 35,708 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Password Protect Bootloader/Recovery?

Tip us?

devinger
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was thinking the exact same thing. Add a password to the recovery menu to prevent a full whipe or flash so anti theft apps will keep on running. I already lost a phone with a security app because the thief did a full whipe or flashed it less than an hour after he or she stole it. Please somebody develop it!

kInOzAwA
Old
Thanks Meter 15
+1 for Password protected on the recovery & bootloader.

I was thinking the same way like you guys. This is indeed the downwards side of the android OS. There will be a privacy phone like Blackphone from the silent circle/geeksphone/pgp project to be release soon. I don't know either it will implement the same idea like this or not. But i wish that there will be someone step forward to bring this to customization on android OS. Yes, without the password on the bootloader/recovery there will useless for the average joe to do anything they want. Everything got a downside, but this is better than not having a password protected thing.

md1008
Old
Thanks Meter 229
I have a few ideas that Google could implement. Make it an option to have a password in the bootloader to where you can't enter recovery,fastboot unlock, or enter recovery without the password. Obviously if your bootloader is unlocked than it's an open house for thrives

Another option would be to have your emei/ESN attached to Google play services so if a their were to factory reset they could not use Google services with out the password. So if a their were to factory reset or flash a ROM they would have a Google less phone. And as we all know not many people would want a galaxy phone with out ability to use apps. Basically covert a $800 Note 3 into a glorified dumb/feature phone.

Of course neither is full proof with JTAG or changing imeis but why not make it as difficult as possible for some either invade privacy of phone or whipe it to resell...

People who say don't loose your phone... Yeah because when a person loses there phone they do it on purpose or purposely let someone steal there property because YOLO...that's like saying people should just not get into a car accident....humans are prone to errors we are not robots. We aren't perfect nor computers. We have personalities

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10487

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by md1008 View Post

People who say don't loose your phone... Yeah because when a person loses there phone they do it on purpose or purposely let someone steal there property because YOLO...that's like saying people should just not get into a car accident....humans are prone to errors we are not robots. We aren't perfect nor computers. We have personalities
With as much personal info that people are deciding it is a good idea to store in their phones *should* make them be more careful. I have had cell phones for over 15 years and have never lost one. I have had one stolen but never would I loose something I paid $600 for. Who does that?

Now here is your double edge sword. Say they do add a password to it and you forget the pass word or the password gets corrupted on the system side. Guess what you have then, A nice brick that you cant do anything with short of a JTAG.

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly