LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Upgrading Antique Version of Droid

OP beckmill

4th March 2014, 07:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
10
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
I have a Nook HD 7". Although it's brand-new, it's running Droid v2.2.0. I'd like to upgrade it to something a lot more current. However, I'm not a technical IT person, though I am a 30-year user of IT, PCs, etc. In fact, I make my living on a computer. I don't know if the folks who man the 'Nook Section' at a B&N Store help people like me, but would I be better offf asking the Nook person there to help me upgrade to Droid v4.X vs. trying to wade through some highly technical--but I'm sure point-on--directions from this Forum?

Thanks very much.

Warren Miller
Lexington, Va.
4th March 2014, 04:43 PM   |  #2  
leapinlar's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,678
 
8,387 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2006
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmill

I have a Nook HD 7". Although it's brand-new, it's running Droid v2.2.0. I'd like to upgrade it to something a lot more current. However, I'm not a technical IT person, though I am a 30-year user of IT, PCs, etc. In fact, I make my living on a computer. I don't know if the folks who man the 'Nook Section' at a B&N Store help people like me, but would I be better offf asking the Nook person there to help me upgrade to Droid v4.X vs. trying to wade through some highly technical--but I'm sure point-on--directions from this Forum?

Thanks very much.

Warren Miller
Lexington, Va.

Go to the dummies guide linked in my signature. And it is Android, not Droid.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
Last edited by leapinlar; 4th March 2014 at 04:45 PM.
4th March 2014, 05:15 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
10
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Thank you. I read that before I made my initial post. Here is what I propose: if you will e-mail me off-line (wmiller@beckmill.com), I'd like to set up a time to talk briefly w/you by telephone. I will then commit to pay you to help me do what I read before I posted. Is that acceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

Go to the dummies guide linked in my signature. And it is Android, not Droid.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

4th March 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #4  
leapinlar's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,678
 
8,387 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2006
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmill

Thank you. I read that before I made my initial post. Here is what I propose: if you will e-mail me off-line (wmiller@beckmill.com), I'd like to set up a time to talk briefly w/you by telephone. I will then commit to pay you to help me do what I read before I posted. Is that acceptable?

No, I am not interested in that. If you need specific help with an item in the thread, I will try to help.

Maybe someone else is interested.

Edit: And stock B&N software is not antique Droid 2.2.0 (Droid is a model of phone by Motorola). It is Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). It has been heavily modified by B&N and given their version number 2.2.0.The latest version of Android is an experimental Android 4.4 (KitKat).

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
Last edited by leapinlar; 4th March 2014 at 06:19 PM.
4th March 2014, 06:51 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
10
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Your point about Droid vs. Android is well-taken. I apologize. Good to know about KitKat. Thank you for that.

FWIW, I have seen Nook models on the web that claim to be running Android v4.X. That is what led me to the CM site first. I followed the instruction there to the letter and downloaded the requisite file--OneClick.apk. However, when I tried to install it, the Nook gave me this message: "This Nook cannot read this file. It may be an unsupported format." That's when I came here.

So now I'm scratching my head. I need expert help and am willing and able to pay for it. If anyone is interested in helping me, please either post your contact information or e-mail me directly at: wmiller@beckmill.com. - Warren Miller, CPA - Lexington, Virginia.




Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

No, I am not interested in that. If you need specific help with an item in the thread, I will try to help.

Maybe someone else is interested.

Edit: And stock B&N software is not antique Droid 2.2.0 (Droid is a model of phone by Motorola). It is Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). It has been heavily modified by B&N and given their version number 2.2.0.The latest version of Android is an experimental Android 4.4 (KitKat).

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

4th March 2014, 09:12 PM   |  #6  
leapinlar's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,678
 
8,387 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2006
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmill

Your point about Droid vs. Android is well-taken. I apologize. Good to know about KitKat. Thank you for that.

FWIW, I have seen Nook models on the web that claim to be running Android v4.X. That is what led me to the CM site first. I followed the instruction there to the letter and downloaded the requisite file--OneClick.apk. However, when I tried to install it, the Nook gave me this message: "This Nook cannot read this file. It may be an unsupported format." That's when I came here.

So now I'm scratching my head. I need expert help and am willing and able to pay for it. If anyone is interested in helping me, please either post your contact information or e-mail me directly at: wmiller@beckmill.com. - Warren Miller, CPA - Lexington, Virginia.

I don't know what that oneclick.apk is, but it has nothing to do with installing CM on a Nook HD/HD+. Follow the dummies guide I referenced earlier.

EDIT: If you can't or don't want to put the effort into updating the device yourself, you can go to a commercial site like N2Acards.com and they will sell you a ready made SD with Android for Nook already set up for you.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using XDA Premium HD app
Last edited by leapinlar; 5th March 2014 at 12:05 AM.
22nd March 2014, 08:04 PM   |  #7  
Trekker56's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
226 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmill

Your point about Droid vs. Android is well-taken. I apologize. Good to know about KitKat. Thank you for that.

FWIW, I have seen Nook models on the web that claim to be running Android v4.X. That is what led me to the CM site first. I followed the instruction there to the letter and downloaded the requisite file--OneClick.apk. However, when I tried to install it, the Nook gave me this message: "This Nook cannot read this file. It may be an unsupported format." That's when I came here.

So now I'm scratching my head. I need expert help and am willing and able to pay for it. If anyone is interested in helping me, please either post your contact information or e-mail me directly at: wmiller@beckmill.com. - Warren Miller, CPA - Lexington, Virginia.

If you still need help, send me a PM with your number. I am willing to take you step by step for slight compensation of my time.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nook hd 7", upgrading 2.2
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes