Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,778 Members 38,384 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgrading Antique Version of Droid

Tip us?

beckmill
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Upgrading Antique Version of Droid

I have a Nook HD 7". Although it's brand-new, it's running Droid v2.2.0. I'd like to upgrade it to something a lot more current. However, I'm not a technical IT person, though I am a 30-year user of IT, PCs, etc. In fact, I make my living on a computer. I don't know if the folks who man the 'Nook Section' at a B&N Store help people like me, but would I be better offf asking the Nook person there to help me upgrade to Droid v4.X vs. trying to wade through some highly technical--but I'm sure point-on--directions from this Forum?

Thanks very much.

Warren Miller
Lexington, Va.

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 4th March 2014 at 03:45 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckmill View Post
I have a Nook HD 7". Although it's brand-new, it's running Droid v2.2.0. I'd like to upgrade it to something a lot more current. However, I'm not a technical IT person, though I am a 30-year user of IT, PCs, etc. In fact, I make my living on a computer. I don't know if the folks who man the 'Nook Section' at a B&N Store help people like me, but would I be better offf asking the Nook person there to help me upgrade to Droid v4.X vs. trying to wade through some highly technical--but I'm sure point-on--directions from this Forum?

Thanks very much.

Warren Miller
Lexington, Va.
Go to the dummies guide linked in my signature. And it is Android, not Droid.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here

beckmill
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you. I read that before I made my initial post. Here is what I propose: if you will e-mail me off-line (wmiller@beckmill.com), I'd like to set up a time to talk briefly w/you by telephone. I will then commit to pay you to help me do what I read before I posted. Is that acceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
Go to the dummies guide linked in my signature. And it is Android, not Droid.

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 4th March 2014 at 05:19 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thank you. I read that before I made my initial post. Here is what I propose: if you will e-mail me off-line (wmiller@beckmill.com), I'd like to set up a time to talk briefly w/you by telephone. I will then commit to pay you to help me do what I read before I posted. Is that acceptable?
No, I am not interested in that. If you need specific help with an item in the thread, I will try to help.

Maybe someone else is interested.

Edit: And stock B&N software is not antique Droid 2.2.0 (Droid is a model of phone by Motorola). It is Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). It has been heavily modified by B&N and given their version number 2.2.0.The latest version of Android is an experimental Android 4.4 (KitKat).

beckmill
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Your point about Droid vs. Android is well-taken. I apologize. Good to know about KitKat. Thank you for that.

FWIW, I have seen Nook models on the web that claim to be running Android v4.X. That is what led me to the CM site first. I followed the instruction there to the letter and downloaded the requisite file--OneClick.apk. However, when I tried to install it, the Nook gave me this message: "This Nook cannot read this file. It may be an unsupported format." That's when I came here.

So now I'm scratching my head. I need expert help and am willing and able to pay for it. If anyone is interested in helping me, please either post your contact information or e-mail me directly at: wmiller@beckmill.com. - Warren Miller, CPA - Lexington, Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
No, I am not interested in that. If you need specific help with an item in the thread, I will try to help.

Maybe someone else is interested.

Edit: And stock B&N software is not antique Droid 2.2.0 (Droid is a model of phone by Motorola). It is Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). It has been heavily modified by B&N and given their version number 2.2.0.The latest version of Android is an experimental Android 4.4 (KitKat).

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 4th March 2014 at 11:05 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Your point about Droid vs. Android is well-taken. I apologize. Good to know about KitKat. Thank you for that.

FWIW, I have seen Nook models on the web that claim to be running Android v4.X. That is what led me to the CM site first. I followed the instruction there to the letter and downloaded the requisite file--OneClick.apk. However, when I tried to install it, the Nook gave me this message: "This Nook cannot read this file. It may be an unsupported format." That's when I came here.

So now I'm scratching my head. I need expert help and am willing and able to pay for it. If anyone is interested in helping me, please either post your contact information or e-mail me directly at: wmiller@beckmill.com. - Warren Miller, CPA - Lexington, Virginia.
I don't know what that oneclick.apk is, but it has nothing to do with installing CM on a Nook HD/HD+. Follow the dummies guide I referenced earlier.

EDIT: If you can't or don't want to put the effort into updating the device yourself, you can go to a commercial site like N2Acards.com and they will sell you a ready made SD with Android for Nook already set up for you.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using XDA Premium HD app

Trekker56
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:

If you still need help, send me a PM with your number. I am willing to take you step by step for slight compensation of my time.

Tags
nook hd 7", upgrading 2.2