[UTIL][WIN][MT65xx] MTK Droid Root & Tools | MediaTek Android Smartphone

Search This thread

1rnst

Apr 25, 2013
Perhaps it not work with MTK5892, took a while before the MTK5889 was ready.

Can anybody tell me if the root function in DroidTool erases any on the phone ? Or is it a safe way to root my phone ?
I get message that it will be a full restore and all data will be lost when I try to root a Lenovo A820.
And I am not sure what this tool will do.

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
ATTENTION! It is possible to make a brick of phones !!!

• if bootloader is locked (it is used on some brands such as Sony, Motorola, Asus, LG ...) look here
  • in case of non-standard splitting a nand type flash on page/spare it is solved in v2.5.1

The program does images of yaffs2 blocks with a standard ratio 2048/64. Other ratios of page/spare are non-standard and the program yet doesn't do the correct backup of such blocks!
    How to learn page/spare ratio:
    1. most reliable of a log BROM_DLL_V5.log from FlashTool. We look for there the line "nand_pagesize (". In it there will be a page value, in the following spare
    2. page value can be learned having collected in a terminal window
      Code:
      adb shell cat /proc/yaffs
      in the lines totalBytesPerChunk there will be a page value. Spare isn't known
    3. indirectly from log.txt program or from the firmware.info file made during a backup. There will be lines approximately such
      Code:
      mtd11: 0c800000 00020000 "system"
      value 00020000 in the 3rd column (erasesize) as a rule corresponds to 2048 page value. If there 00040000, page most likely 4096. And spare isn't known
    If page = 4096 that as a rule spare =128. If FlashTool shows spare=224, it is necessary to try value 128. From a backup made by the program, under Linux it is possible to rebuild yaffs2 files for non-standard a flash by means of yaffs2utils.
    How to rebuild image for 4096/128 nand:
    Download package 0.2.9, untar and make.
    Code:
    sudo mkdir system
    sudo ./unyaffs2 --yaffs-ecclayout system.yaffs2.img system
    sudo ./mkyaffs2 --yaffs-ecclayout -p 4096 -s 128 system system.img

• on phones with ubifs file system (while meets on some MT6572). Partially solved in version 2.5.2.e

View attachment 2428337
    Select Blocks Map in the program and look at the Type field opposite to block "system". If in this field it is written "ubifs", or it field is empty, you got ;) .
    That it is possible to do with such phone in the program:
    • make scatter file
    • get root, install SU, delete unnecessary software
    • make a backup, but blocks except ubifs will be suitable
    That it is impossible:
    • make CWM, it needs to be done with ubifs support
    • write boot through the program, it kills phone (while it is unclear why)
    • Download ubifs blocks from a program backup through FlashTool, it will kill a phone

I have a MT6572 phoen (A5000) with this situation UBIFS.

Could you confirm that also with MTKDroid 2.5.3 the limitation (impossible to do - like CWM) are in place?

Yous aid that you CAN install SU (the current suystem didn't hacev SU).

Ho can do that (install SU) if CWM recovery is not available?

Thanks.

Attachments

• MT6572_A5000_Map.jpg
    MT6572_A5000_Map.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:

oscarblue48

May 13, 2013
I have a MT6572 phoen (A5000) with this situation UBIFS.

Could you confirm that also with MTKDroid 2.5.3 the limitation (impossible to do - like CWM) are in place?

If you check out the v2.5.3 MtkdroidTools.ini file, it includes the lines...MakeUbifsRecovery = No
; Make auto CWM on UBIFS device
;Yes - For Test Only !!!

and this from the russian thread re version history v2.5.3..
The file MTKdroidTools.ini appeared parameter MakeUbifsRecovery . If its value is changed to "yes", then the generated machine CWM will be inspected and will be able to record it in the body. But what happens, let the owners told curious ;). Only for the test!

so I guess he's saying, it might be possible, but change to 'yes' at your own risk

Reactions: rua1 and lacik25

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
Thanks for the info.

I patched with MTKDroid 2.5.3 a firmware (MT6572 - ext4 fs) and the recovery created by MTKDroid (CWM 6.-6.0.4) has a strange meaning.
When you switch on the phone with POWER & VOL+ appear a droid fall down (with red !)
If you now press POWER appear the main menu of CWM
Then now wiyj VOL- go step down and POWER switch off the screen and VOL+=OK (if you press VOL+ for log time the screen switch off - press POWER go on and you go back to CWM main menu). Strange....

ravvio

Aug 5, 2012
Unable to view certain options

Attached is the screenshot of my mtk droid tools v2.5.3 it. The "root,backup,recovery" side of the software is missing two options (please review screenshot) and let me know what to do to resolve the same

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 949

oscarblue48

May 13, 2013
Attached is the screenshot of my mtk droid tools v2.5.3 it. The "root,backup,recovery" side of the software is missing two options (please review screenshot) and let me know what to do to resolve the same

If you mean the options "Backup userdata and cache" and Leave "FlashTool files on SD card" they have been excluded since version 2.5.0 I think probably because if you have a UBIFS file system then you cannot make a backup of these anyway, and they are not necessary for the purpose of restoring a device. If you have ext4 file system use 2.4.8 which includes these options

ravvio

Aug 5, 2012
If you mean the options "Backup userdata and cache" and Leave "FlashTool files on SD card" they have been excluded since version 2.5.0 I think probably because if you have a UBIFS file system then you cannot make a backup of these anyway, and they are not necessary for the purpose of restoring a device. If you have ext4 file system use 2.4.8 which includes these options

I have used the 2.5.2 v previously and i was able to view these options.. And i checked the file system it is NTFS and not UBIFS ... Other functionality are working absolutely fine ...:good::good:

oscarblue48

May 13, 2013
I have used the 2.5.2 v previously and i was able to view these options.. And i checked the file system it is NTFS and not UBIFS ... Other functionality are working absolutely fine ...:good::good:
My copy of v2.5.2 doesn't display those options...

also I mean the file system on your phone, not your pc. click on Blocks Map in droid tools, and you'll see something like this.....

If it shows UBIFS or the field is blank, then you have UBIFS file system, if ext4 as shown, then you have ext4 file system;)

Reactions: ravvio

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
Is there anyone that has problem with MTKDroidTools 2.5.2e/ 2.5.3 with Windows 8.1?
Problems like as app freeze.

Paul!us

Dec 5, 2011
My own world
LG L4 E440. Won't work, trying to do it manually (the hard way, using the method described here). In case anyone will see a need, I'm dropping the boot and recovery images here.

"Recovery and boot" result:

Code:
 --- ERROR  :No find KernelGZ
 --- ERROR  :No Split Boot Image
 --- task is complete  ---

Last edited:

babai93

Feb 5, 2010
Sambalpur
sir, I am getting "ERROR : Boot unthe public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com"

please suggest how to get CWM for Clone - Samsung Note 3 SM-N900 MT6572

Thanks in advance!!

I believe this procedure is not possible on phones with a ubifs file system.

This Tutorial was originally written by Rua1 on the Russian forum, here.... http://forum.china-iphone.ru/post986046.html#p986046 post #1000

You will need Adb drivers installed on your computer. http://pdanet.co/a/

And MTKDroid tools http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2160490
Mtkdroid tools contains exploits necessary for the rooting process, and this may be detected as a virus by your antivirus program, just temporarily disable your antivirus while downloading, or if you're really paranoid, don't download!:laugh:

Connect your switched on rooted mtk device to your computer and open MTKDroid tool, the tool will recognise your device and connect to it, if the colour indicator in the bottom left corner is green, you already have root shell,and can go on to the next step, if it is yellow, click on the root button at the bottom, and wait for the progress bar, if the indicator stays yellow, or you get an error message, this probably means you do not have Busybox installed, you can install it from the google play store. When the indicator turns to green you have root shell which is necessary for this operation.

Next click on the tab 'root,backup,recovery' and select 'to use boot from phone' then click on 'recovery and boot' and shortly after a dialogue box will appear asking if you want to 'make cwm recovery automatically' click yes

The tool will then create the recovery and another dialogue box will appear asking to 'install created recovery to phone', click yes.

And finally the tool will ask to reboot into recovery mode, click yes and the device will reboot into CWM recovery so you can check the installation was successful.

Thanks to Rua1 for creating this brilliant tool.

Attachments

• Error1.png
    Error1.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 344

oscarblue48

May 13, 2013
sir, I am getting "ERROR : Boot unthe public mailing list cygwin@cygwin.com"

please suggest how to get CWM for Clone - Samsung Note 3 SM-N900 MT6572

Thanks in advance!!

Firstly I would try the latest build of Mtkdroid tools, which I believe uses a later version of the cygwin files, but then you need to proceed with caution, you need to check to see if your phone has UBIFS file system as in my previous post here... http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51116582&postcount=1030

if you have UBIFS system then you need to read here... http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51106054&postcount=1025

From what I understand at the moment if you have ext4 system all is ok and you can make and install cwm, if you have UBIFS then to try it you have to edit the MTKdroidtools.ini file and involves an element of risk which I wouldn't recommend, but in the end its up to you.

Reactions: rua1

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
@rua1
Is there specifc trick to use MTKDroidTool (2.5.3) on Windows 8.1?
I have several problem of freezing. Version 2.5.2e seems to work better.(less freeze)

bovirus

Oct 7, 2007
Is not a computer probòlem. Flashtool works fine.
MTKDroidTool 2.5.2e works fine. Tested on 5 different PC (all with Windows 8.1).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This post was created originally by rua1 and transferred to new owner as old maintainer rua1 is no longer active.

Scope of the thread

The scope of this thread is ONLY about to discuss how to use MTKDroid.

IS NOT in the scope post not about MTKdroid, like ex. how to create recovery (except the CWM create by MTKDroid) or root the device (except procedure integrate in MTKDroid)

What's MTKDroid

MTKDroid is an application created by rua1 for Android device based on Mediatek CPU MT65xx (not other CPU type) and Android up to 4.4..

CPU/Android OS version/ROM chunk size supported

Mediatek CPU supported

IT'S GENERALLY COMPATIBLE with CPU Mediatek MT65xx (ex. MT6582/MT6589/MT6592) and Android up to Android 4.4.x (not higher)
    IT' COMPATIBLE with old CPU version (MT6582/MT6589/MT6592).
    Could be not compatible with recent CU MT65xx (like MT6580)

IS NOT COMPATICLE with new CPU like Mediatek MT67xx (MT6732/MT6752/MT67537etc).
    IS NOT COMPATIBLE with Android OS 5.0 and higher (5.0/5.1/6.0/7.0)

IS NOT COMPATICLE with CPU not Mediatek.

Android OS versione supported

MTKdroid is COMPATIBLE with Android OS version up to 4.4
    MTKdroid is NOT COMPATIBLE with Android OS version 5.x (LP) and higher like 6,.0 (MM), 7.0 (Nougat), etc

ROM chunk size supported

MTKdroid is COMPATIBLE with ROm chink size = 512 bytes/sector
    MTKdroid is NOT COMPATIBLE with ROM chunk size > 512 bytes/sector (ex. 2048 bytes/sector)

Before to start

Please note that you use program at your own risk!!!!

ATTENTION! It is possible to brick the device!!! - Please read carefully here

Check if you can, to make a backup of your ROM or to have a full backup of you ROM.

Check in the Android device if DEVELOPER OPTIONS is available into SETTINGS menu.
    If DEVELOPER OPTIONS is not available. please enable it selecting SETTINGS -> INFO ABOUT THE DEVICE -> Click several times on BUILD lines.
    It will appear a popup DEVELOPER OPTIONS enabled.

Check that in the device SETTINGS -> DEVELOPER OPTIONS -> USB DEBUG is enabled

ADB device drivers are already installed, and in the Windows DEVICE MANGER there shouldn't be unknown devices at connection of switched-on phone.

ADB drivers can get here

Please check here an example of USB Debug menu.

USB_debug.jpg

MTKDroid original russian thread - use Google translate

Guide in English

- If your phone not rooted using the ROOT button
    - Problems and errors when using SP Flash Tool
    - Backup ROM and make backup flashable in SP Flashtool
    - How to install CWM on some rooted MTK devices

Program history/changelog

- MTKDroid v. 2.4.3
    - MTKdroid v. 2.4.4 / v. 2.4.5 - Info
    - MTKDroid v. 2.4.6 - Info
    - MTKDroid v. 2.4.7 - Info
    - MTKDroid v. 2.4.8 - Info
    - MTKDRoid v. 2.5.1 - Info

Download

MTKDRoid v. 2.5.3 mod by bovirus (Mega)

Post all details

Post all details about the device that you can like

brand/model/CPU/ROM size/Flash size/Android version/ROM version/ROM date

If you have problems or errors, please attach at this thread the log.txt file available in MTKDroidTools folder![/B]

Language files

Note: the files are already included in last versions. No need to download and add them.

- Spanish language (Spanish.lang)
    - Czech language (Czech.lang)
    - Italian language (Italian.lang)

If you want to add new language, please translate English version and post the new language into the thread.
    If you find errors about language pelase post the report in the thread.
    v2.5.3

v2.5.3
    Please do not place the file on other sites!

Changes:
    • Support MT6592. Unlike previous SOC, here, when reading the ROM through the FT, not read block preloader. This block can be backup in the program after obtaining root shell.
    • File MTKdroidTools.ini has new variables ScatVer111 and ScatVer112, which listed SOC for which it is necessary to do a new type of scatter the appropriate version. At the moment it V1.1.1 for 6572/82 and 6592 for V1.1.2. If the SOC in these variables is missing, the scatter is the old type. Scatter the appropriate type is done with the backup and from "Block Map".
    • When you create a CWM file size compared to the size of the block. If the file size exceeds, then flash it is not offered, but the file is saved. If you choose to create CWM automatically and exceeded its size, we attempt to do CWM of mini template, which excludes the partitioning SD card into 2 parts.
    • On phones with ubifs filesystem backup system unit is in 3 forms:
      • tar archive. not for FlashTool!
      • system.ibifs.img. not for FlashTool!. Of this file under linux you can make an image for Flashtool
      • nodl_system.bin. As owners say, this file can flash through FlashTool. It must be edited manually rename and move to a folder for FT.No guarantees, on your own risk!
    - Additional options for newwer MTK chipset

Sonme trick for newwer chisper and Android version

Temporary root on Mediatek

GUIDE - How to

This guide was created originally by rua1 and transferred to new owner as old maintainer rua1 is no longer active.

- Make a ROM backup using Flashtool and ReadBack
    - make the CWM recovery
    - install SuperUser (get root)
    - etc..

If your phone cannot rooted using the ROOT button.

1. Make scatter by means of MTKDroidTools
    Scatter is the text file with addresses of the blocks, necessary for the SP FlashTool program.
    After creation of scatter don't close the main window of the program!
    Otherwise once again it is necessary to turn on phone.

1e.jpg

2. In SP FlashTool choose this scatter and go on the Read Back tab

2.jpg

3. Choose path and a ROM file name
    Click on Add button. Double click of a mouse on the appeared line. Choose a file name, the name has to begin with ROM_ as offers FlashTool! Remember path and the name of ROM_ file.

3e.jpg

4. Determine the ROM_ size
    Type has to stand in HEX. In the field of Start Address it is necessary to write down 0x000000. In the field of Length we copy from scatter the address of the block following after RECOVERY or the address of other block for fuller backup. For phones with type of the blocks EXT4 it is the cache block address. The number in the Hex format has to begin with 0x

4e.jpg

5 . Choose Read Page Only on yaffs2 type blocks phones
    In FlashTool choose Read Page Only in the field of Read Method. If this field isn't present, the window with this question can emerge, too we choose Page Only. On phones with EXT4 blocks it doesn't get out (as a rule).

5.jpg

6. Read Back ROM_
    Click on Read Back button and connect the switched-off phone to PC. Here the options depending on a concrete phone are possible. Maybe it is necessary to press at the same time with connect of a cable the camera or volume buttons. Experiment and study work with FlashTool in threads with similar phones! On some MT6573 models, for example on B63, it can't be executed with any combinations and only testpoint need!

6e.jpg

7. Prepare files for FlashTool and make CWM
    If everything passed without errorss, we open the MTK Droid Root & Tools window which we left on 1th step. If for some reason the window isn't present, it is necessary to turn on phone and to connect it to the program. Click on To process file ROM_ from FlashTool button and choose the ROM_* file saved on the 6th step. At successful unpacking rom it will be offered to choose CWM from similar phone. Chosen CWM it is checked on compliance to the connected phone and if ok, the CWM is created.
    Starting with v2.4.0 CWM it is made automatically and the file from similar phone shouldn't be looked for any more!

7e.jpg

Аttention! Yaffs2 type blocks from this backup can't be Downloaded to phone, they aren't correct!
    Use backup on 9th step if phone have yaffs2 type blocks!

8. Download new CWM to the phone
    Start FlashTool, choose scatter in the folder created on the 7th step. Remove marks from all blocks! Click on RECOVERY and we choose the file CWM in the same folder which was created on the 7th step. Click Download and connect a cable to PC (phone has to be switched off) and expect the end of process.

DANGEROUS! On this step the CWM recovery block has to be marked only!
    Also it is necessary to use only the Download button and not to use at all the Firmware Upgrade button!

8e.jpg

9. Make backup, install SuperUser etc
    Start device in CWM mode, connect to MTK Droid Root & Tools, go on the tab root, backup, recovery and, pressing on this tab the necessary buttons, we do:
    - backup! ! ! (if in phone there is yaffs2 type blocks, do here surely, they received with readBack on 7th step aren't correct)
    - install superuser (often mean "get root" under it)
    - and other if need

9e.jpg

Never needlessly flash/download preloader and DSP_BL blocks! It is always dangerous!
    On some models of phones (for example Alcatel) you will have a brick even if you download these blocks read from phone which you own!
    Always remove from them marks in SPFT!
    How to install CWM on most rooted mtk devices

I believe this procedure is not possible on phones with a ubifs file system.

This Tutorial was originally written by Rua1 on the Russian forum, here.... http://forum.china-iphone.ru/post986046.html#p986046 post #1000

You will need Adb drivers installed on your computer. http://pdanet.co/a/

And MTKDroid tools http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2160490
    Mtkdroid tools contains exploits necessary for the rooting process, and this may be detected as a virus by your antivirus program, just temporarily disable your antivirus while downloading, or if you're really paranoid, don't download!:laugh:

Connect your switched on rooted mtk device to your computer and open MTKDroid tool, the tool will recognise your device and connect to it, if the colour indicator in the bottom left corner is green, you already have root shell,and can go on to the next step, if it is yellow, click on the root button at the bottom, and wait for the progress bar, if the indicator stays yellow, or you get an error message, this probably means you do not have Busybox installed, you can install it from the google play store. When the indicator turns to green you have root shell which is necessary for this operation.

Next click on the tab 'root,backup,recovery' and select 'to use boot from phone' then click on 'recovery and boot' and shortly after a dialogue box will appear asking if you want to 'make cwm recovery automatically' click yes

The tool will then create the recovery and another dialogue box will appear asking to 'install created recovery to phone', click yes.

And finally the tool will ask to reboot into recovery mode, click yes and the device will reboot into CWM recovery so you can check the installation was successful.

Thanks to Rua1 for creating this brilliant tool.
    Backup your Rom with MtkDroid tools and make your backup flashable in SPflashtool

If you have a ubifs type file system on your phone, it is possible to make a backup, but the ubifs blocks must be excluded
    see this post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47005386&postcount=630

you will need
    1 your rooted mediatek device
    2 Adb drivers installed on pc http://pdanet.co/a/
    3 MTKDroid tools http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2160490 should you wish to, you can also make a donation to Rua1 on this page:)
    and for flashing
    4 SPFlashtool SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1344.0.212.7z
    5 Mtk Usb Vcom drivers installed on pcUsb_Vcom_Auto_Installer_v1.1236.00.rar

I assume that you have the necessary drivers installed as that subject is dealt with at length elsewhere in these threads.

Open Droid tools by clicking on the .exe file and connect your rooted switched on phone(with debugging enabled), the application will connect to your device and will show its details. If your device is rooted the colour indicator in the bottom left corner will be yellow, click on the root button at the bottom

wait for the progress bar and the indicator turns to green and then you have root shell, which is necessary for backup, and will remain in that state until you reboot your device. If the indicator stays yellow, that probably means you don't have busybox installed, you can install it from google play store

Next click on the tab'root,backup,recovery' and tick the box next to 'backup userdata and cache' if required, and finally click on backup, when the tool has finished copying the files, you will then have a complete backup of your device which is saved in the mtkdroid tools backup folder. Note Userdata and Cache may contain your personal data.

Should you need to restore your device to its current state, you can do so by flashing your backup back to your device as follows.
    Open droid tools, no need to connect your device to pc, click on tab 'root,backup,recovery' then click on 'to prepare blocks for Flashtool'

then navigate to the folder with your backup file, open the backup file, then select the MD5 file and click open,

the tool will then copy the required files to another folder '!Files_to_Flashtool' which is also inside the backup folder. you can then flash the files to your device with SPFlashtool by selecting the scatterfile in the 'files_to_flashtool folder'
    Known bugs: Error when preparing files for FlashTool if in the backup folder there are two scatter files, (normal and PMT). It is necessary to remove one of them from the folder, this will rectify the error.

Thanks to Rua1 for creating this fantastic tool

Never needlessly Download preloader and DSP_BL blocks! It is always dangerous! On some models of phones (for example Alcatel) you will have a brick even if you download these blocks read from your own phone! Always remove ticks in SPFlashtool!!​