Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,559 Members 40,894 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unlock bootloader on XT926 rooted after JB OTA update 9.30.1

Tip us?

impinball
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Unlock bootloader on XT926 rooted after JB OTA update 9.30.1

I've successfully rooted my Droid RAZR MAXX HD with stock firmware version 9.30.1, but I can't seem to figure out how to unlock the bootloader.

The one catch with my phone being rooted is that it always ends up in fastboot when it boots. A simple
Code:
fastboot continue
fixes the problem, but I was wanting to flash CWM Recovery to install CM.

I have a working su/Superuser.apk, but I can't seem to fix the bootloader dilemma.

Jhall8
Old
Thanks Meter 49
The last software version with an unlockable bootloader is 9.16.6.XT926. Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

impinball
Old
(Last edited by impinball; 23rd March 2014 at 01:38 AM.) Reason: remove bad formatting
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhall8 View Post
The last software version with an unlockable bootloader is 9.16.6.XT926. Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Okay... I also have another wonderful problem: my phone consistently gets into fastboot mode upon startup, with my current workaround of doing fastboot continue. Is there any way to fix my currently locked bootloader?

RikRong
Old
Thanks Meter 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by impinball View Post
Okay... I also have another wonderful problem: my phone consistently gets into fastboot mode upon startup, with my current workaround of doing fastboot continue. Is there any way to fix my currently locked bootloader?
As Jhal said, you can't "fix" your bootloader, it's locked since you're on the newest OTA and it can't be unlocked. With that being said, your phone is not booting into fastboot because you're rooted. It's booting into FB because you tried to flash something that didn't work. What other things have you done or attempted to do, besides rooting? This will help us help you, the info you provided is pretty vague.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RikRong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

impinball
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong View Post
As Jhal said, you can't "fix" your bootloader, it's locked since you're on the newest OTA and it can't be unlocked. With that being said, your phone is not booting into fastboot because you're rooted. It's booting into FB because you tried to flash something that didn't work. What other things have you done or attempted to do, besides rooting? This will help us help you, the info you provided is pretty vague.
I have done absolutely nothing beyond rooting it, installing Superuser & SuperSU (both through a script I can attach, but I'm on the wrong computer), and backed up a slew of apps.

This first begun when I modified the script to fix a bug in it (ash in JB 4.2 doesn't have a -f switch in rm, and the script had a 'rm -f'). If that bug didn't exist, then it would've still happened the first of several times (I attempted it about 4-5 times, but only the last caused this). The rm -f was actually doing effectively (with successful root privileges) 'rm -f /system/install-script-2.sh', but the script actually had another script to be put into it at the location /system/install-script.sh.

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 451
???
Start by detailing steps in your 2nd paragraph.
Your boot is locked if it was never unlocked before you upgraded to ...79 or later
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

antmiu2
Old
Thanks Meter 25
what a coincidence i just got a xt926 and im at the same spot.. 9.30.1 rooted but locked ... iguess we're screwed huh

skeevydude
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,856
Quote:
I've successfully rooted my Droid RAZR MAXX HD with stock firmware version 9.30.1, but I can't seem to figure out how to unlock the bootloader.

The one catch with my phone being rooted is that it always ends up in fastboot when it boots. A simple
Code:
fastboot continue
fixes the problem, but I was wanting to flash CWM Recovery to install CM.

I have a working su/Superuser.apk, but I can't seem to fix the bootloader dilemma.
Looks like you either flashed a fastboot or used a tool that used the command "fastboot oem fb_mode_set" which causes the phone to boot directly into fastboot mode. It can usually be fixed with the command "fastboot oem fb_mode_clear".
If I managed to help you, click Thanks.
Please post help questions in your respected devices Q&A forum. That's we have them.
If you need my help, add an @skeevydude to your post or quote me. I'll see it.
Thank You & Have a Nice Day.
Help Me Help You. Sign up for 15gb of free storage at Copy.com using this referral -- I get 5 more GB and you get 5 more GB. We both win.
Atrix HD Off Topic Thread
"Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people." -- Mr. Garrison

impinball
Old
(Last edited by impinball; 5th April 2014 at 02:54 AM.) Reason: extra details that might help in solving problem
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeevydude View Post
Looks like you either flashed a fastboot or used a tool that used the command "fastboot oem fb_mode_set" which causes the phone to boot directly into fastboot mode. It can usually be fixed with the command "fastboot oem fb_mode_clear".
Didn't work. It is still booting there on its own upon start-up.

Also, I will mention that I did commit an act of stupidity: trying to flash against a bootloader that I couldn't verify was unlocked yet. I stupidly ran the command when I wasn't even 50% sure that it was unlocked yet (and is likely the cause of all my problems):

Code:
fastboot flash recovery <cwm-file>.zip
I'm trying my hardest to avoid sending this to Motorola just for them to charge me for the replacement, saying I've voided any warranty that exists with the phone. I have the original firmware to flash just in case, but I don't have the Motorola fastboot (for the dev editions).

skeevydude
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,856
Quote:
Didn't work. It is still booting there on its own upon start-up.

Also, I will mention that I did commit an act of stupidity: trying to flash against a bootloader that I couldn't verify was unlocked yet. I stupidly ran the command when I wasn't even 50% sure that it was unlocked yet (and is likely the cause of all my problems):

Code:
fastboot flash recovery <cwm-file>.zip
I'm trying my hardest to avoid sending this to Motorola just for them to charge me for the replacement, saying I've voided any warranty that exists with the phone. I have the original firmware to flash just in case, but I don't have the Motorola fastboot (for the dev editions).
First, there is no Dev Edition Fastboot....the closest would be Bell ICS since Bell shipped unlocked/unlockable Atrix HD's.

You don't flash zip files with fastboot flash.....Why is this becoming an issue these days?* The kernel is "fastboot flash boot boot.img"

*just thinking out loud

EDIT: Just realized that this was the RAZR HD forums.....just replying to quoted posts this morning....Not sure about RAZR HD Dev Edition fastboots....
If I managed to help you, click Thanks.
Please post help questions in your respected devices Q&A forum. That's we have them.
If you need my help, add an @skeevydude to your post or quote me. I'll see it.
Thank You & Have a Nice Day.
Help Me Help You. Sign up for 15gb of free storage at Copy.com using this referral -- I get 5 more GB and you get 5 more GB. We both win.
Atrix HD Off Topic Thread
"Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people." -- Mr. Garrison