Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 39,299 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ontop nugget d5.. Need a custom rom

Tip us?

Thecypriot
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Ontop nugget d5.. Need a custom rom

Hi guys,

My phone is an Ontop nugget d5, and no one seems to have heard of it, it's a phone available from staples in Canada, it's a relatively cheap phone, with decent specs

I want to put an OS like cyanogenmod, but of course no one knows what kind of phone this is, and I am not a coder, or even know where to begin. The phone has a custom build on top of Android, and it kinda sucks, and it's only Android 4.1.2

Can someone help me? I don't know if it's easy or not to be able to put a rom like cyanogenmod, but I have no clue how to code, and I'm desperate to change the OS on this phone

Please anyone willing to help?

Tal_Star
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecypriot View Post
Hi guys,

My phone is an Ontop nugget d5, and no one seems to have heard of it, it's a phone available from staples in Canada, it's a relatively cheap phone, with decent specs

I want to put an OS like cyanogenmod, but of course no one knows what kind of phone this is, and I am not a coder, or even know where to begin. The phone has a custom build on top of Android, and it kinda sucks, and it's only Android 4.1.2

Can someone help me? I don't know if it's easy or not to be able to put a rom like cyanogenmod, but I have no clue how to code, and I'm desperate to change the OS on this phone

Please anyone willing to help?

This is the reason why I've yet to get one these devices. Lots of low cost devices out of other places that have no custom roms either. Kinda makes me sad that only the expensive devices get custom roms. (except for maybe the nexus devices)

anarcap
Old
(Last edited by anarcap; 23rd March 2014 at 05:32 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Tutorial Root Nugget D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal_Star View Post
This is the reason why I've yet to get one these devices. Lots of low cost devices out of other places that have no custom roms either. Kinda makes me sad that only the expensive devices get custom roms. (except for maybe the nexus devices)
I know you guys are looking for a custom ROM (as was I), but I was happy to settle for rooting the D5.

First I installed SuperOneClick, clicked on the "Advanced" tab, and clicked "Check Drivers". That downloaded the MT65xx USB drivers. Afterwards, I followed the instructions for Framaroot 1.9.1 and got root (SuperSu binary was installed). Easy as pie.