Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,834 Members 50,134 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

TWRP on RAZR MAXX?

Tip us?

dbs179
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default TWRP on RAZR MAXX?

Hi all,

I'm not new to Android and flashing ROM's but I've always had Galaxy phones. I just updated my SGS3 to SlimKat last week and love it. My friend has a RAZR MAXX that is giving him problems and I told him we could probably flash a new ROM to it and improve its performance. I've read through a few threads and watched the video's on the top of the general page and see that SafeStrap seems to be the way to put new ROMS on the RAZR. My questions are:

1. Can you use TWRP or another recovery to install ROMS or is SafeStrap the only way?
2. Do you have to keep the stock ROM if you use SafeStrap?
3. Is there a way to reflash the factory ROM if you do replace it using either TWRP or SafeStrap?

Thanks for any help.
Dave

JakeDHS07
Old
Thanks Meter 474
Safestrap is the best recommended way. There is a BBM option but it is incompatible with newer builds and has failed to be updated. I personally use and highly recommend SS

2. You do not. Newest SS 3.65 allows for stock flashing where you cab overwrite stock instead of using the virtual slots.

3. Indeed there is. Matt's Utility is the best way. Completely simplified and includes root and other option. Goes through ap fastboot and works well I have used it to recovery or flash stock many times.

DROID RAZR MAXX CM 11 JBX KERNEL

dbs179
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDHS07 View Post
Safestrap is the best recommended way. There is a BBM option but it is incompatible with newer builds and has failed to be updated. I personally use and highly recommend SS

2. You do not. Newest SS 3.65 allows for stock flashing where you cab overwrite stock instead of using the virtual slots.

3. Indeed there is. Matt's Utility is the best way. Completely simplified and includes root and other option. Goes through ap fastboot and works well I have used it to recovery or flash stock many times.

Awesome information and thank you for the response. I appreciate it!

Dave

JakeDHS07
Old
Thanks Meter 474
Not a problem. Its what I do here

dbs179
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDHS07 View Post
Not a problem. Its what I do here

Ok, so I got Root on the RAZR and installed Sidestrap no issues, I also got SlimKat installed in ROM slot 1. That worked fine but none of the apps carried over obviously. So I did a Titanium backup of the apps my friend wanted from the stock rom and tried to install SlimKat in the stock Rom. It worked but it didn't wipe the internal SD card and do a clean flash like I expected it to do. Also once the phone came back I could not see the internal or external SD card on my pc to move all of the backups back over to it. What am I doing wrong here?

1. how can I get the internal memory to show back up when connected to my PC? It worked fine before.
2. how can I do a complete fresh install where it wipes the internal memory card totally?

Thanks for any help, I'm totally lost on this device.

Thanks,
Dave

JakeDHS07
Old
Thanks Meter 474
What I would do. Move ROM zip to SD card as well as any other zips you plan to install. Wipe all on stock slot except SD card and then reinstall this should reset all the data and make the internal visible again as it was hidden through some error and wipe it in the process. Be sure you have a working ROM on the SD card to flash before doing the wipe as you need something to boot to afterward otherwise you will have no OS. Best of luck