Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,990 Members 37,074 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New Galaxy S4 Active (SGH-I537 ATT) owner needs advice on rooting

Tip us?

jkeuclid
Old
(Last edited by jkeuclid; 22nd March 2014 at 11:50 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] New Galaxy S4 Active (SGH-I537 ATT) owner needs advice on rooting

Hi, is there a "FAQ" for this phone which outlines all necessary aspects for rooting this particular phone? Mine is arriving Monday so I suppose I'll have to wait and see what OS etc. is on it.

Devo7v
Old
Thanks Meter 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeuclid View Post
Hi, is there a "FAQ" for this phone which outlines all necessary aspects for rooting this particular phone? Mine is arriving Monday so I suppose I'll have to wait and see what OS etc. is on it.
There's not a FAQ for this phone since it's not nearly as popular as the S4 and didn't sell nearly as many units. That said it depends on which version you got.
Other than that, just search through the General forum, most everything you are looking for can be found there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devo7v For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jkeuclid
Old
(Last edited by jkeuclid; 23rd March 2014 at 04:53 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v View Post
There's not a FAQ for this phone since it's not nearly as popular as the S4 and didn't sell nearly as many units. That said it depends on which version you got.
Other than that, just search through the General forum, most everything you are looking for can be found there.
Thank you Devo for the response, I appreciate it and the link you provided to the firmwares. I ordered yesterday from AT&T and believe it's the SGH-I537. I've been searching quite a bit and been looking at TenEightyPee's thread below and found that very useful

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2347793

Now in that thread, for custom ROMs and recoveries, we still can or cannot load these?

Devo7v
Old
Thanks Meter 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeuclid View Post
Thank you Devo for the response, I appreciate it and the link you provided to the firmwares. I ordered yesterday from AT&T and believe it's the SGH-I537. I've been searching quite a bit and been looking at TenEightyPee's thread below and found that very useful

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2347793

Now in that thread, for the state of the state of custom ROMs and recoveries, we still cannot load these?
The root method you linked to will only work for certain firmware versions on the i537. The thread I linked to has links to everything for all firmwares.

Since the i537 has a locked bootloader you cannot flash custom recovery or kernel. You can use SafeStrap to kind of get around it, but it's not perfect. The i9295 has an unlocked bootloader so you can do pretty much anything you want with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devo7v For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jkeuclid
Old
(Last edited by jkeuclid; 10th April 2014 at 06:29 PM.) Reason: Solved
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo7v View Post
The root method you linked to will only work for certain firmware versions on the i537. The thread I linked to has links to everything for all firmwares.

Since the i537 has a locked bootloader you cannot flash custom recovery or kernel. You can use SafeStrap to kind of get around it, but it's not perfect. The i9295 has an unlocked bootloader so you can do pretty much anything you want with it.
Good info, thanks Devo. I'll know soon enough by Mon afternoon

Solved, I've since rooted with Sunderwear's method, Mods you can close this thread thank you.