Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,085 Members 44,229 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Need tethering app that actually works

Tip us?

trpenner
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Need tethering app that actually works

ATT wants $50 more on top of the $160 we are already paying to upgrade the data plan in order to enable tethering on my HTC One X. This is robbery. I've tried three tethering apps and my phone is rooted. Nothing seems to work.

Please advise.
Root the HTC One X with Evita firmware using Wizzrah's Evita toolkit. It worked for me and he will even get on Skype with you if that is what is needed.

TopoX84
Old
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpenner View Post
ATT wants $50 more on top of the $160 we are already paying to upgrade the data plan in order to enable tethering on my HTC One X. This is robbery. I've tried three tethering apps and my phone is rooted. Nothing seems to work.

Please advise.
Check this link it might help you save money and I believe those plans include mobile hotspot

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=50165782

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
DEVICE: HTC One M7 AT&T (Unlocked, Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-OFF)
ROM: Android Revolution HD 62.0 by Mike1986
MODS: Sense 5 Toolbox, Gravity Box [KK],
RECOVERY: TWRP v. 2.6.3.3

PREVIOUS DEVICES:
  • Galaxy S4 I337 AT&T unlocked
  • Nokia Lumia 920 Unlocked - Dev AT&T ROM

trpenner
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopoX84 View Post
Check this link it might help you save money and I believe those plans include mobile hotspot

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=50165782

Yeah, I don't like the plan games and don't have time to figure that mess out. I'd rather stick with root and figure out a tethering method that works. What is the best app to make this happen?
Root the HTC One X with Evita firmware using Wizzrah's Evita toolkit. It worked for me and he will even get on Skype with you if that is what is needed.

TopoX84
Old
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
There is a way to use ES file explorer... I don't remember exactly how it is, look for it

DEVICE: HTC One M7 AT&T (Unlocked, Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-OFF)
ROM: Android Revolution HD 62.0 by Mike1986
MODS: Sense 5 Toolbox, Gravity Box [KK],
RECOVERY: TWRP v. 2.6.3.3

PREVIOUS DEVICES:
  • Galaxy S4 I337 AT&T unlocked
  • Nokia Lumia 920 Unlocked - Dev AT&T ROM

623baller
Old
Thanks Meter 1
flash a custom rom then you can easily achieve tethering

if you want to stay stock rooted, there's a mod to remove AT&T from the signal bar so it just shows 3G, H+...etc that will also allow you to tether directly from the built in hot spot. forgot the mod name otherwise i would have thrown you a link. you can probably find it on xda

trpenner
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Tethering with a custom rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 623baller View Post
flash a custom rom then you can easily achieve tethering

if you want to stay stock rooted, there's a mod to remove AT&T from the signal bar so it just shows 3G, H+...etc that will also allow you to tether directly from the built in hot spot. forgot the mod name otherwise i would have thrown you a link. you can probably find it on xda
That's fantastic news. When rooting the first time, I used this toolkit http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2587677. It has run apps requiring root so I think it is still rooted although I wish it would tell me when it updates because ATT no longer seems to find any except for individual apps. Once I got it rooted, I didn't follow through with a custom ROM because I didn't know how to check the popularity and stability of them. I would love to have tethering so that I can hot spot my phone when needed, and I would also like to have 'real' call recording as opposed to microphone based call recording. Assistance in where to go with this would be greatly appreciated.