Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] USB Drive Encryption Android - Windows

OP mgerbasio

20th March 2014, 04:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19

227 posts
Using a USB OTG cable I'm able to read/write to a flash drive but I'm trying to find a solution to encrypt the drive so I can use it on my Nexus 7 and Windows PC. I see one solution in the play stroe EDS which uses TrueCrypt but looks like I need root to use it without having to decrypt to a local folder on the Nexus. The other solution seems to be for advanced users and I'm just looking to plug in the drive and have it work.

Looking at other solutions like IronKey (expensive) but there isn't an Android client. I searched Google and surprisingly didn't find a good solution to what I would have thought is a common user issue.

I don't need to block the NSA from looking at my data, as if that was possible, I just don't want to lose my usb drive and have all my data available to anyone with a PC. Thanks.
21st March 2014, 06:01 PM   |  #2  
Flag Eldorado
Thanks Meter: 54

133 posts
Donate to Me
More
Have you considered going old school and just encrypting critical files using pgp or gnupg? It works nicely but is just a bit labor intensive.

Sent from my XT1031 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
22nd March 2014, 03:50 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19

227 posts
Yea, but was hoping at this point there'd be a better solution. My N7 is already rooted so I may just go with TrueCrypt.
23rd March 2014, 05:25 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 7

40 posts
you might try cryptonite (https://code.google.com/p/cryptonite/). For encfs on Windows you might use encfs4Win (http://members.ferrara.linux.it/freddy77/encfs.html )
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread