XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ParanoidAndroid 4.4 try out

Tip us?

Electraglider
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default ParanoidAndroid 4.4 try out

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am not a die hard flasher. I like to flash because it is a cheap way to get a virtually new phone.

I have had the S2 for a year now and in the beginning I was running MIUI which I really liked. It did all I wanted plus it allowed me to change the appearance occaisionally when I got bored with the status quo. Later they quit supporting the S2 and I found Avatar rom. This has been a great rom and I have been using it for most of the last year. Recently they had an upgrade which was giving me a "phone.android.com" error and rendered the phone useless which was totally unacceptable so I restored my earlier version. There is talk on that thread that they will be moving to KitKat. I'll wait for that.

In the meantime I decided to try something else, so yesterday I flashed ParanoidAndroid 4.4. Initially it seemed like a great rom and I spent the better part of the day playing around with it. I decided to run it for awhile and was setting it up for my style of use when I discovered a couple of things.

The first thing I discovered was that I could not find a way to customize the quick settings panel. I was able to rearrange it so that I could get the tiles where I wanted but I couldn't add any other tiles, like sleep. I like to try and avoid using my hardware buttons as much as possible to preclude wear and tear. I have read of bad or broken power switches on these devices. I am sure other devices have similar issues. I decided that I could maybe live without the sleep tile and just let the thing put itself to sleep most of the time and deal with any missing tiles in other ways.

The next thing I disovered was that my folders and icons were dissapearing. I like to group my apps in folders so that similar apps are all in one place. I am sure I am not the only one that does this. Anyway, dissappearing folders was something I could not live with. I'm sure we all spend time getting our phones set up just the way we like them and then use them as daily drivers. When I set things up I like them to stay until I change them. At any rate, it was at that point I decided to restore my Avatar rom and wait for the Kit Kat version to come out.

In conclusion, ParanoidAndroid looks like a great rom so I will be keeping an eye on it, but I have high hopes for a Kit Kat version of Avatar in the near future so I'll be watching that as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Electraglider For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mr_stevey
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default true dat

the power button on mine is about as useless as ever. i use carbon rom at 4.4.2 and allow the volume buttons to turn on my phone's screen. i can't deal with the trouble of using the power button when it'll instantly turn off the screen once i turn it on.

pwndave
Old
(Last edited by pwndave; 23rd March 2014 at 04:29 PM.) Reason: Incorrect versions of what rom I'm using
Thanks Meter 5
I'm using PA 4.0 (4.4.2) beta 6 as well. I would just like to report that I am successfully using folders to sort my apps. My app folders do not disappear.

I tend to agree with you about the Quick Settings panel. Some of the changes that I'd like to make are available.

There are a few other things with PA 4.0 (4.4.2) beta 6 that are strange (bugs/performance issues). I think that after a few more beta releases, those things will be ironed out.

pwndave
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Today I'm going to be switching to PA 4.2 beta-1.

I've anxious to see:
- How boot times have changed
- How the PIE controls are
- How buggy it is
- How performance has changed