5,606,151 Members 34,045 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to root a Samsung Galaxy S3 4.3 (SGH-I747)?

Tip us?

woerner
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by woerner View Post
I have not personally put Knox on the phone but when i go into settings/security/device administrators. It lists Knox as one with an unchecked box so dose that mean its on the phone? and if so how would i go about removing it.

also if i don't necessarily need to root to load a custom ROM where could i be directed to be able to load 4.4?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 AM ----------

The end result of what i want to accomplish is to load http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2556839

again thank you for the help!
so i think that my phone is rooted and i am trying to flash the ROM but the Error i am getting is...
set_metadata_recusive: some changes failed
E: Error executing updater binary in zip '.extern
Error flashing zip '/external_sd/Gummy-M. 1-02-27

Any Idea?

dawgdoc
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
I have not personally put Knox on the phone...
The 4.3 OTA installs Knox without checking if you want it or not. Fortunately there are ways to remove it after the fact. Most suggestions I have seen recommend using CF-AutoRoot, updating SuperUser, and then going into SuperUser to disable Knox. You don't need root to install custom ROMs but as far as I know you need it to remove Knox. Removing Knox seems to be necessary in order to get the custom recovery required to flash custom ROMs.

|Guide|How-To| Root & Install Custom Recovery for 4.3 Update
[CWM][4.2.2/4.3/4.4] DE-SAMSUNGNIZER Script V5.0.0 - Clean all unneded Samsung Crap contains scripts to remove Samsung bloat and others that seem to just remove Knox.

I was about to offer no comment on the ROM to which you linked because it is in the Verizon forum, but then I noticed the d2lte in the description. My understanding is that d2lte is good for all US SGS3 variants. (Gummy says this in it's forum.) Maybe you can get around using a custom recovery with some ROMs, but the Gummy ROM comes as a recovery flashable zip. So, it looks like: root, remove knox, install custom recovery, flash rom.

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote:
so i think that my phone is rooted and i am trying to flash the ROM but the Error i am getting is...
set_metadata_recusive: some changes failed
E: Error executing updater binary in zip '.extern
Error flashing zip '/external_sd/Gummy-M. 1-02-27

Any Idea?
From reading quite a few ROM threads I have learned that the updater scripts have code that indicates which devices they will work on and will cause the install to fail if you are trying to flash an incompatible ROM to a device. Sometimes these scripts have not been updated to reflect ROM compatibility with devices and editing the updater script will correct this. This is best verified in the ROM thread. Something to check for yourself before posting would be that you are using a compatible ROM version. The d2lte files should work with any of the US variants. If you downloaded one of the older files there is then the need to make sure it works with your device, unless you are confident about editing the script.

Other possible causes of your error:
1) it could be that the zip is on the external_sd and the installer expects it on the internal
2) you have a bad ROM download

SGS3 SGH-i747

TW 4.1.2, stock, rooted,
TiBu frozen

Samsung Captivate SGH-i897
Currently CyanogenMod 10.1.3
resurrected from softbrick using 4-2ndtwin's Heimdall OneClick to stock Gingerbread - 2.3.5 - kk4
ROM history Eclair > Froyo > Gingerbread > CM9

woerner
Old
(Last edited by woerner; 27th February 2014 at 04:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
From reading quite a few ROM threads I have learned that the updater scripts have code that indicates which devices they will work on and will cause the install to fail if you are trying to flash an incompatible ROM to a device. Sometimes these scripts have not been updated to reflect ROM compatibility with devices and editing the updater script will correct this. This is best verified in the ROM thread. Something to check for yourself before posting would be that you are using a compatible ROM version. The d2lte files should work with any of the US variants. If you downloaded one of the older files there is then the need to make sure it works with your device, unless you are confident about editing the script.

Other possible causes of your error:
1) it could be that the zip is on the external_sd and the installer expects it on the internal
2) you have a bad ROM download
Well i think i "Soft Bricked" my phone. currently stuck in a reboot loop but can still boot into recovery and download but nothing seams to be able to get me out of this loop

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 272
Look in the development thread for a way to flash back to stock 4.3.

kc10boom
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Root problem solved

I have an AT&T S3 SGH-i747. The problems I had with rooting was all related to Knox, unfortunately I had no way to get rid of Knox.

Please follow the web link and follow all the steps in order. The short version of the steps is you install the TWRP recovery using Odin, then boot back into recovery , install SuperSU and then Knox removal script via recovery. After that enjoy whatever custom ROM you want. I'm running the KitKat 4.4 now

As a note getting to the correct download link can be a pain due to the bait and switch of the "download now" button with other shareware apps but the links provided to lead you to the correct zip files.

** honai-android.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-root-galaxy-s3-at-sgh-i747-twrp.html **