Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 53,222 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] T959P With CM9 + KH2 Modem = Weak signals

Tip us?

iblackford
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] T959P With CM9 + KH2 Modem = Weak signals

Hi All,

I recently fixed my mothers T959P, upgrading from stock (I did a nandroid backup first) to CM9. I used the build for the T959V and installed the KH2 Modem on afterwards. I used my SIM (Bell) to verify 3G connectivity. I noticed that the signal was weaker than on my phone (Galaxy S4) but it did seem to work ok.

I sent it back to her, when she puts the sim in it cannot get a signal at all (the phone shows the cell phone number, so I know the sim is being detected) but no signal lock. All other functions seem to work. What are my options if any to get this to work? Is there anything that I missed in doing the upgrade that would cause this? I read through a number of posts which suggested an NVRAM rebuild after doing the upgrade (which I did before sending back).

As a last resort I could do a full stock restore, but I would prefer to get it working better.

Thanks, Ivan

Rebel_X
Old
Thanks Meter 71
First of all, did you make sure when you installed CM9 the IMEI number is still intact and not a series of 0s? You only need to restore NVRAM if the IMEI changed.

Next, did you try to different modems? try the padded KJ6 or LB6, they could make a difference.

If your mom's SIM card is old, you probably have to get the newer one. The old one has bigger gold pins while the newer one has noticeably smaller gold pins.

Lastly, did you try different APNs? If the operator is different than the original company the phone came with, you probably have to change the APN from your settings.

iblackford
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
her sim worked in this phone just last week when it was the previous build (stock GB). I know the IMEI is intact, and it did work with my SIM on CM9. Because she's about 400km away from me I wasn't able to try it on CM9 & her SIM before sending it back, so I had to improvise. Like I said, the phone number is detected in the phone status menu when her SIM is inserted, just no signal. I believe APN settings should not affect getting a signal, they should just affect getting data, is this correct?

Thanks, Ivan

Rebel_X
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Well, I thought you said 3G was weaker! But anyways, your best option is to try different modem, as other users in the past had similar and varying issues with different modems. Personally I use the Canadian Wind LB6 modem and works beautifully.

iblackford
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So for an update, I had been travelling for a few weeks and hadn't followed up on this...my mom can register and get a signal (just as I did when I tested the phone), however, she cannot get a signal at her home. She was able to do this previously. She's quite close to a telus tower (there is a 300ft tower ~1km away).

Could something affect only one of the frequency bands, but not another, causing problems trying to register on some towers? Again, I have the KH2 modem installed which is a valid telus modem.

Thanks, Ivan