[SOLUTION] AdAway Not Working - Stuck on "Applying hosts file"
Here is an easy solution/fix for those who wish to use AdAway v2.8 but end up getting stuck on the final step to enabling ad blocking, "Applying hosts file".
If you are trying to enable AdAway but are stuck on "Applying hosts file" as seen in the screenshot below, then please follow these very simple instructions.
1. Download a root explorer. I prefer using Root Explorer
because I think its the best file explorer on the android market. If you have problems with purchasing apps you can always use the free version Explorer
, or if you prefer using another file explorer that's fine, just make sure it has root access enabled.
2. Once you have a file explorer installed that has root access enabled, navigate to "system/etc" and find the file labeled "hosts" as seen in the screenshot below.
3. Hold down/select the file labeled "hosts" and select "permissions" from the selection as seen in the screenshot below.
4. After selecting permissions a window should have popped up where you can change the permissions of the file as seen in the screenshot below.
4. Change the permissions of the hosts file to "rw-rw-rw" just like in the screenshot below. Hit "OK" to apply the permission changes and close the file explorer completely and head back over to AdAway.
5. Once you have AdAway back open, click "Download files and apply ad blocking" and try again. Depending on your internet connection it shouldn't take very long, but you should see something like this, hit "Yes".
6. After your phone has rebooted, open AdAway again and you should see something like this saying newest hosts files enabled.
Congratulations, AdAway is now working and ad blocking is enabled!