FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[Q] New Note 3 owner from Nexus 5 - have issues & questions

2,195 posts
Thanks Meter: 152
 
By lanwarrior, Senior Member on 24th March 2014, 01:18 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have the Nexus devices (5 and 7) and it was a breeze to to configure the phone (rooting, etc.) and easier because there is only one version of the phone. Now I have the T-Mobile Note 3, I tried to read as much as I can but there are so many questions due to the many variables on the phone (carrier version, locked bootloader, etc.) So I thought I will ask those I couldn't find the answers.

My phone is rooted using Kingosoft, KNOX is not tripped and on stock ROM with T-Mobile SIM card.

Problem: Wi-fi instability
Often times, the Note 3 will lose connection to my home Wi-Fi. I have not changed anything on my router and the Nexus 5 and 7 works fine - no disconnection. The Note 3 is connected to 5Ghz N with WPA-PSK and dynamic IP address. Any fix on this?

Q1. Text-to-speech
How do I change the this to use Google's instead of Samsung S-Voice? When I got to Settings, only S-Voice is selectable. I want to change it for navigation purposes

Q2. Home button - double click
Any change to configure this for something else, like Google Search? I've frozen S-Voice so double-clicking the button now does..nothing.

Q3. Disable My Magazine swipe-up
Quite often I accidentally swiped-up. Any way to disable this?

Q4. WTH is Beaming Service for Beep'nGo??
Went to Google Play --> My Apps and there is a new update for Beep'nGo. I did not install this, but I found out I cannot disable this - I could not find it under Titanium or Application Manager. How do I disable this? I am sure it's running in the background and eating battery of some sort

Q5. What is safe to Greenify?
From Nexus 5, there are just a few built-in apps in Greenify. But with the Note 3, there are tons of them, not including the apps I installed. Which one of these I can disable? See screenshot below.







Last edited by lanwarrior; 24th March 2014 at 02:18 AM.
 
 
24th March 2014, 03:38 PM |#2  
lanwarrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 152
 
More
Bump
24th March 2014, 06:51 PM |#3  
twanskys204's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 973
 
More
U can hibernate any app but system apps. As for your phone goes, id suggest flashing a stock image via odin to see if your problems persist...

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
24th March 2014, 07:03 PM |#4  
lanwarrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 152
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twanskys204

U can hibernate any app but system apps. As for your phone goes, id suggest flashing a stock image via odin to see if your problems persist...

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks. Any input on questions 1-5?
24th March 2014, 07:04 PM |#5  
twanskys204's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 973
 
More
Ya, I gave it to u.. flash stock to see if your problems still presist.

Edit, im not to sure on your magazine thing

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
24th March 2014, 08:10 PM |#6  
lanwarrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 152
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by twanskys204

Ya, I gave it to u.. flash stock to see if your problems still presist.

Edit, im not to sure on your magazine thing

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I am referring to question related to the configuration, not problem that will be fixed by "reset" or restore to stock ROM. Example:

Q1: Changing text-to-speech --> out of the box, it default to S-Voice --> doesn't matter if I restore to stock

Q4: Beepn'Go --> out of the box, it exist --> doesn't matter if I restore to stock

...and so on.
24th March 2014, 08:35 PM |#7  
twanskys204's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 973
 
More
Im sorry, then I dont use those features so I cant help u,, I just looked at mine, its samsungs aswell. Seems like an apk would add the feature..

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
24th March 2014, 09:14 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Charlotte
Thanks Meter: 99
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior

I have the Nexus devices (5 and 7) and it was a breeze to to configure the phone (rooting, etc.) and easier because there is only one version of the phone. Now I have the T-Mobile Note 3, I tried to read as much as I can but there are so many questions due to the many variables on the phone (carrier version, locked bootloader, etc.) So I thought I will ask those I couldn't find the answers.

My phone is rooted using Kingosoft, KNOX is not tripped and on stock ROM with T-Mobile SIM card.

Problem: Wi-fi instability
Often times, the Note 3 will lose connection to my home Wi-Fi. I have not changed anything on my router and the Nexus 5 and 7 works fine - no disconnection. The Note 3 is connected to 5Ghz N with WPA-PSK and dynamic IP address. Any fix on this?

Q1. Text-to-speech
How do I change the this to use Google's instead of Samsung S-Voice? When I got to Settings, only S-Voice is selectable. I want to change it for navigation purposes

Q2. Home button - double click
Any change to configure this for something else, like Google Search? I've frozen S-Voice so double-clicking the button now does..nothing.

Q3. Disable My Magazine swipe-up
Quite often I accidentally swiped-up. Any way to disable this?

Q4. WTH is Beaming Service for Beep'nGo??
Went to Google Play --> My Apps and there is a new update for Beep'nGo. I did not install this, but I found out I cannot disable this - I could not find it under Titanium or Application Manager. How do I disable this? I am sure it's running in the background and eating battery of some sort

Q5. What is safe to Greenify?
From Nexus 5, there are just a few built-in apps in Greenify. But with the Note 3, there are tons of them, not including the apps I installed. Which one of these I can disable? See screenshot below.

1)
For TTS, Google TTS is now available for installing from the play store. Did you install that?
I did, and can select it. It also has HD on Google TTS now.
I am running stock un-rooted Kitkat.

2)
For double click, download a free app from Play Store "S for Switch Voice"
Last edited by CravingMender9; 24th March 2014 at 09:17 PM. Reason: More answers :)
24th March 2014, 09:27 PM |#9  
lanwarrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 152
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulisola

1)
For TTS, Google TTS is now available for installing from the play store. Did you install that?
I did, and can select it. It also has HD on Google TTS now.
I am running stock un-rooted Kitkat.

2)
For double click, download a free app from Play Store "S for Switch Voice"

1). TTS
That's interesting.. I know Google TTS is installed out of the box, but when I went to Google Play, there is nothing under "My Apps" to UPDATE this. When I search for Google TTS, it said I can "install" it. So for some reason it was not installed in my Note 3, BUT it exist under Settings. I'll try to install it

2). Double Click
I disabled S-Voice (freeze using TB). Do I have to unfreeze this to get this to work?
24th March 2014, 09:43 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Flag Charlotte
Thanks Meter: 99
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior

1). TTS
That's interesting.. I know Google TTS is installed out of the box, but when I went to Google Play, there is nothing under "My Apps" to UPDATE this. When I search for Google TTS, it said I can "install" it. So for some reason it was not installed in my Note 3, BUT it exist under Settings. I'll try to install it

2). Double Click
I disabled S-Voice (freeze using TB). Do I have to unfreeze this to get this to work?

1) Great. Lemme know if it worked after installation.
2) I think mostly yes, you have to unfreeze it, as the app launches Google Voice Search when S-Voice is activated. But I am not sure. You can always try it and let us know
24th March 2014, 11:54 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Flag Hillsboro
Thanks Meter: 0
 
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
Google TTS used to be installed on Samsung devices by default until recently. You just need to install it off of the Play Store and it will show up under Settings as an option.

For questions 2 and 3, I assume you're still using the TouchWiz launcher? You can install a launcher from the play store that will let you change the look and feel of the device, including changing\updating gestures such as double clicking the home button or swiping up. I'm using Next 3 Launcher right now and I set it so I have to swipe up with 2 fingers for My Magazine to launch. Previously I was using Apex launcher and it actually has more settings for you to play with. I just wanted to try a new launcher so I switched. Other notable launchers are Go Launcher Ex, Nova Launcher, and ADW Launcher.

I have no clue on questions 4 and 5.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes