Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,303 Members 42,617 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Water damage - Microphone

Tip us?

mwatson
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 106
Default Water damage - Microphone

I've had my One for nearly a year now and it looks like new as ive looked after it well until 7 days ago when it made its way down the toilet as it was flushing.

I put it in an airtight container full of rice for a few days. Everything is working fine apart from the microphone. Callers say they can't hear me. If I switch to speaker phone then its fine.

Question to those in the know, is this water damage likely to be permanent? Anyone have experiance of the same?

It will obviously be out of warranty now, maybe HTC will fix it for a reasonable price?

Bhavpreet
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatson View Post
I've had my One for nearly a year now and it looks like new as ive looked after it well until 7 days ago when it made its way down the toilet as it was flushing.

I put it in an airtight container full of rice for a few days. Everything is working fine apart from the microphone. Callers say they can't hear me. If I switch to speaker phone then its fine.

Question to those in the know, is this water damage likely to be permanent? Anyone have experiance of the same?

It will obviously be out of warranty now, maybe HTC will fix it for a reasonable price?
Water damage is permanent, yes, but theres always that chance that something might click and your mic will start working perfectly again.

You got lucky, since you cant take these phones apart or remove the battery, ive always felt as though water damage would completely destroy the phone.

Rice is a good way to soak up water, but its not entirely effective. I would put the phone infront a fan for a couple of hours, or even leave it outside (away from sunlight) for some time.

Download a mic testing app from the playstore, and see if it picks up any sound. I would call HTC and see how much they would charge to fix this issue. You can always just stick to using headphones or the speaker phone while in calls, and you never know, the mic might just start working again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bhavpreet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]