5,606,151 Members 35,623 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Convert contacts2.db to .vcf

Tip us?
 
slimecounty
Old
(Last edited by slimecounty; 10th November 2012 at 02:57 PM.)
#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyap View Post
Finally, after searching high and low for this conversion, I'm able to get all my contacts back. Pain in the ass trying all sorts of method usuing the app but none of them work appropriately. Thanks for sharing guys!

P/S: editing the line 43 will help to eliminate the error.
Found this thread when searching for a way to convert a .db to a .vcf or any other way to import my .db contacts to my phone. I had performed a contacts backup using Huwaei All Backup, then rooted my phone and installed a custom rom, of course, not thinking that I was getting rid of probably the only backup/restore app that uses that filetype.

My solution was fairly simple. I found the All Backup apk but it of course wouldn't install on the phone, so I installed Bluestacks android emulator on the pc and was able to install All Backup on that. I then had to install dropbox on Bluestacks to allow me to move my .db to the virtual sd card, fired up All backup, performed a restore using my .db, then on Bluestacks used an app called Go Contacts to backup all contacts, which created a .vcf file, which I copied over to dropbox, copied over to my phones sd card, and used Go Contacts to restore.

More complicated than it should have been? Yes.
From now on, my contacts can stay synced with Gmail.

But overall the process took about 10 min including all the installs and whatnot, which isn't so bad considering I figured I was going to have to manually input my contacts one by one.

Hopefully someone looking to import a .db file into their phone's contacts will find this 'method' useful.
 
turlulu
Old
(Last edited by turlulu; 23rd June 2013 at 10:22 AM.)
#12  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default infolent utorgfu

hey, someone have the script contacts2-to-vcard.rb ? i can't find it online i have no android phone, but still have my contacts2.db that i want to convert to vcard thanks much
 
turlulu
Old
#13  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jun 2013
no ?
 
compacity
Old
#14  
compacity's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 250
Posts: 833
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Quote:
Originally Posted by turlulu View Post
no ?
nope, sorry, maybe someone else got it

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium
If You Wanna Hit Thanks, Juz PUNCH ur Monitor Right at The Thanks Button and I will RECEIVE ur Sincerity on Giving Thanks

Android always making things easier for people, so why people making things harder for themselves?
 
SeaFargo
Old
#15  
SeaFargo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 250
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rome
Quote:
Originally Posted by m7o View Post
After some serious research on the web you are my true and only hero.
Sort of....
The only thing is, I don't get the vcard file. I just get the cmd flashing real quick listing my contacts. There is no way for me trying to time my screenshot button and get all my contacts. Screenshot: i.imgur.com/oXCye.jpg
I'm really new to this kind of thing.... I just put Cyanogenmod on my phone and damn god do I regret it. I have no idea what I'm doing. My backup didn't backup so now I'm just gonna have to live with myself. But I kinda do wanna have my contacts back. And I'm really proud of myself getting this cmd thingy flash before my eyes :P
anyways... what's next?
Thanks in advance

E: Ok Guys.... Problem solved.
If you open the File with Ruby CUI it will just flash real quick, but if you open it in cmd the list will just show and it won't disappear.
Then the > contacts.vcf part behind it and done.
Now I understand what I did and I fully understand you comment, and I feel stupid.
Thanks again
Do you think there is a way to run that script under Windows XP environment? I have sqlite3.exe for windows and I am downloading Ruby for windows ...

I really need that conversion, and I have no linux machine with me ...

I0ve tryed to run in the phone, this and other scripts but they do not work ...

I wonder to can run it on windows ...

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Or if somebody can convert my contacts2.db for me I will apprecciate a lot. I can send it by email. I have to realize a recovery of contacts but I have no UNIX system and no sqlite skills ...

Thank you in advance for the help.
Raf.

[Motorola Defy - Official MIUI Dev. Ed. - GWK74 - android-2.3.7_r1 - Holo Launcher]
[Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S4 - MIUI v5 - JDQ39E - android-4.2.2_r1.1 - 3.4.66-ChronicKernel - ext4 sdcard - Advanced Xperia Z Launcher 2.0.6]
[Testing the new i9505 MIUI official porting and ext4 sdcard]
 
xsenman
Old
#16  
xsenman's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2143
Posts: 3,920
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFargo View Post
I really need that conversion, and I have no linux machine with me ...
you can download a linux live CD, to run on windows ( when it gets too difficult to achive ob windows) and this might help explained here

Check this out!You , YES! you are an " Android ". Not your phone but U.

You Must watch this documentary concerning your privacy Terms & Conditions we had agreed to, by using a PC or Smartphone

How to say Thank you? If you find any post helpful on XDA, please click on the Thanks button
If you are using XDA App or Tapatalk, long press on the post and select Thanks
Its easier to give "Feedback" in this manner than make an additional post.
 
SeaFargo
Old
#17  
SeaFargo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 250
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rome
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsenman View Post
you can download a linux live CD, to run on windows ( when it gets too difficult to achive ob windows) and this might help explained here

Check this out!You , YES! you are an " Android ". Not your phone but U.

You Must watch this documentary concerning your privacy Terms & Conditions we had agreed to, by using a PC or Smartphone

How to say Thank you? If you find any post helpful on XDA, please click on the Thanks button
If you are using XDA App or Tapatalk, long press on the post and select Thanks
Its easier to give "Feedback" in this manner than make an additional post.
I've already tryed it with Knoppix, but seems that some dependencied for running both sh and ruby scripts are missing, and the wifi card is not recognized to can download it ... ...
Raf.

[Motorola Defy - Official MIUI Dev. Ed. - GWK74 - android-2.3.7_r1 - Holo Launcher]
[Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S4 - MIUI v5 - JDQ39E - android-4.2.2_r1.1 - 3.4.66-ChronicKernel - ext4 sdcard - Advanced Xperia Z Launcher 2.0.6]
[Testing the new i9505 MIUI official porting and ext4 sdcard]
 
Afeef.mlk
Old
#18  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default help me get contacts.vcf from contacts2.db

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7o View Post
After some serious research on the web you are my true and only hero.
Sort of....
The only thing is, I don't get the vcard file. I just get the cmd flashing real quick listing my contacts. There is no way for me trying to time my screenshot button and get all my contacts. Screenshot: i.imgur.com/oXCye.jpg
I'm really new to this kind of thing.... I just put Cyanogenmod on my phone and damn god do I regret it. I have no idea what I'm doing. My backup didn't backup so now I'm just gonna have to live with myself. But I kinda do wanna have my contacts back. And I'm really proud of myself getting this cmd thingy flash before my eyes :P
anyways... what's next?
Thanks in advance

E: Ok Guys.... Problem solved.
If you open the File with Ruby CUI it will just flash real quick, but if you open it in cmd the list will just show and it won't disappear.
Then the > contacts.vcf part behind it and done.
Now I understand what I did and I fully understand you comment, and I feel stupid.
Thanks again
guys I have the same problem with my contacts. I have the contacts2.db file and wants to convert it into .vcf file. I don't know anything about ruby or commands related to it. If you guys are successful in getting the contacts.vcf file from contacts2.db please help me also... I can email you my contacts2.db file and you do me a favour and convert it back into contacts.vcf file.... Reply me with your email address and I will send you the file.... Thaks a lot
 
xange
Old
#19  
xange's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 100
Posts: 182
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cheras, Kuala Lumpur
anyone mind to post the rb file? i cant find the script anywhere. ergent plz.
Read OP and FAQ, use the search button and do research before question anything, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Xperia Neo (Hallon) Pure White
Bootloader: Officially Unlocked
ROM: CM11 KitKat 4.4.2 Legacy Xperia by mikeioannina
Version: 20140421
Kernel: LX+ 3.4.0
Performance: Ondemand, sio, 122 - 1209 MHz
 
arkson82
Old
#20  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Auckland
Thumbs up Maybe a little late...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xange View Post
anyone mind to post the rb file? i cant find the script anywhere. ergent plz.
Hi I found this. I think its a German site, but it has a like to get the RB file.

I'm a new member so cannot post links. Try this goo.gl/lXwH3Y

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...