**Closing my thread now that a direct rooting method is available. Congrats to Everyone mentioned above for your accomplishments while we waited for this!** : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157
**Note**: The process below has been proven to work without exception when the instructions are followed to the letter. Should you run into trouble please consider re-reviewing the instructions to identify your error before requesting assistance. Thank you.
Get the latest I337 firmware here: I337UCUFNC1
Here it is: I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM
And here: I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROMwBL (This version contains the NB1 bootloader. MK2 bootloader users will not be able to go back to factory stock MK2 after flashing).
1. Place the I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM in the root of your ext sdcard.
*2. Download the I337_Downgrade_to_MK2 file, extract the .tar and flash in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+) to obtain semi-functioning(no-wifi) MK2.
3. Use your favorite root method to root MK2, e.g. Saferoot, Kingo Root App, then install the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk.
4. Boot into Safestrap recovery, perform an "Advanced Wipe", and wipe everything except ext sdcard.
5. Flash the ROM zip in the "Stock Slot." Once complete press "Home," then reboot into "Download Mode".
6. Flash the I337_NB1_Stock_Kernel in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).
*MK2 users can skip Step 2.
Once complete the phone will apply an update to cache, then reboot and pause on the white AT&T splash screen for about 1-2 minutes before completely rebooting. Done!
- MK2 users can use Safestrap's Backup/Restore function to backup and restore User Data prior to and after flashing the ROM. Make sure and thank @loganfarrell for discovering this very useful feature.
- In general, to flash a different 4.4.2 Safestrap Custom ROM after flashing this ROM reboot into Safestrap recovery, perform an advanced wipe, and wipe everything but ext sdcard. Then flash the new ROM in the "Stock Slot" and reboot (Refer to the other ROM's dedicated thread for any additional requirements or for assistance. Please limit the discussion in this thread to the 100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM and the KeepRoot OTA zip).
- To go back to factory stock, un-rooted NB1 flash the NB1 4.4.2 Stock Odin .tar in the PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).
- Those that never took the MK2 to NB1 update can return to factory stock MK2 by flashing the MK2 All-in-One Full Odin .tar in PDA slot in Odin(AP in Odin v3.09+).
Known Issue: MK2 bootloader users will experience a lockscreen settings issue. The issue can be resolved by flashing the FMLD_Bootloader in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+). You will still be able to revert back to factory stock MK2. Caution!: NB1 & NC1 bootloader users should not flash this file as it may hardbrick your phone.
1. After flashing and booting into I337UCUFNB1_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM,
2. Place the AddOn in ext sdcard.
3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the AddOn in Stock Slot (Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing)
4. Reboot. Done!