Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Amazon Fire TV Stick vs Chromecast – XDA TV

There is no doubt that Amazon is a huge player in many markets, and they want to be a huge … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] CWM, Cyanogenmod, & booting into Recovery

OP retalger

24th March 2014, 02:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
so, i loaded cwm recovery rom. I do not know if i replaced my stock recovery rom. then i flashed cyanogenmod. all seems good, but i have a question. when i boot into recovery now (via three finger salute), what should or do i want to see? stock recovery, cwm recovery, or cyanogenmod? thanks in advance for the help.

if im not seeing the correct recovery rom i want/should to see, i will have a follow up question on fixing the issue.
24th March 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 2,922

6,073 posts
More
I assume the three finger salute is some form of button combo for entering recovery on your device?
All devices differ but if you flashed a custom recovery and then flashed a ROM within there and it booted I would assume all is fine.
A good test would be
adb reboot recovery
And this should boot to your recovery partition which should have been altered into clockwork recovery
But the caveat is that not all devices are alike, sometimes there can be a file present that overwrites a custom recovery upon reboot so you would be back to stock recovery, if this is the case you need to find that file and remove it. But check with your device specific forum for an exact answer
Also it is possible to simply boot a recovery, not flash it. When booting a recovery it will look and act as if in this custom recovery, you can make backups and flash ROMs etc, but upon reboot it will revert back to what was there previously. If this is your case I can't say as I would need to know your device and the method used to flash the custom recovery.
Best advice is to give all information you can think of about your device and/or ask your question in your devices forum

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
24th March 2014, 03:17 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

I assume the three finger salute is some form of button combo for entering recovery on your device?
All devices differ but if you flashed a custom recovery and then flashed a ROM within there and it booted I would assume all is fine.
A good test would be
adb reboot recovery
And this should boot to your recovery partition which should have been altered into clockwork recovery
But the caveat is that not all devices are alike, sometimes there can be a file present that overwrites a custom recovery upon reboot so you would be back to stock recovery, if this is the case you need to find that file and remove it. But check with your device specific forum for an exact answer
Also it is possible to simply boot a recovery, not flash it. When booting a recovery it will look and act as if in this custom recovery, you can make backups and flash ROMs etc, but upon reboot it will revert back to what was there previously. If this is your case I can't say as I would need to know your device and the method used to flash the custom recovery.
Best advice is to give all information you can think of about your device and/or ask your question in your devices forum

gotcha. thanks. would do i want for my recovery rom if im using a custom rom?
24th March 2014, 03:26 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag mpls
Thanks Meter: 2,922

6,073 posts
More
Not to sure what your are asking, what recovery do I recommend when using a custom ROM? Personally I would say a custom recovery such as twrp or cwm should always be used but this is a personal choice

24th March 2014, 03:35 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:

A good test would be
adb reboot recovery

Quote:

Not to sure what your are asking, what recovery do I recommend when using a custom ROM? Personally I would say a custom recovery such as twrp or cwm should always be used but this is a personal choice

i understand. thank you. thats just the feedback i was looking for. im a newbie.
24th March 2014, 04:15 PM   |  #6  
Flag Ahmedabad
Thanks Meter: 316

1,250 posts
More
any future plans to start Cyanogenmod for samsung galaxy grand2 sm-g7102? waiting for some genius to create unlockbootloader and custom recovery and roms for samsung galaxy grand2 sm-g7102?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread