Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,659 Members 44,430 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CWM, Cyanogenmod, & booting into Recovery

Tip us?

retalger
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] CWM, Cyanogenmod, & booting into Recovery

so, i loaded cwm recovery rom. I do not know if i replaced my stock recovery rom. then i flashed cyanogenmod. all seems good, but i have a question. when i boot into recovery now (via three finger salute), what should or do i want to see? stock recovery, cwm recovery, or cyanogenmod? thanks in advance for the help.

if im not seeing the correct recovery rom i want/should to see, i will have a follow up question on fixing the issue.

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2696
I assume the three finger salute is some form of button combo for entering recovery on your device?
All devices differ but if you flashed a custom recovery and then flashed a ROM within there and it booted I would assume all is fine.
A good test would be
adb reboot recovery
And this should boot to your recovery partition which should have been altered into clockwork recovery
But the caveat is that not all devices are alike, sometimes there can be a file present that overwrites a custom recovery upon reboot so you would be back to stock recovery, if this is the case you need to find that file and remove it. But check with your device specific forum for an exact answer
Also it is possible to simply boot a recovery, not flash it. When booting a recovery it will look and act as if in this custom recovery, you can make backups and flash ROMs etc, but upon reboot it will revert back to what was there previously. If this is your case I can't say as I would need to know your device and the method used to flash the custom recovery.
Best advice is to give all information you can think of about your device and/or ask your question in your devices forum

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

retalger
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
I assume the three finger salute is some form of button combo for entering recovery on your device?
All devices differ but if you flashed a custom recovery and then flashed a ROM within there and it booted I would assume all is fine.
A good test would be
adb reboot recovery
And this should boot to your recovery partition which should have been altered into clockwork recovery
But the caveat is that not all devices are alike, sometimes there can be a file present that overwrites a custom recovery upon reboot so you would be back to stock recovery, if this is the case you need to find that file and remove it. But check with your device specific forum for an exact answer
Also it is possible to simply boot a recovery, not flash it. When booting a recovery it will look and act as if in this custom recovery, you can make backups and flash ROMs etc, but upon reboot it will revert back to what was there previously. If this is your case I can't say as I would need to know your device and the method used to flash the custom recovery.
Best advice is to give all information you can think of about your device and/or ask your question in your devices forum

gotcha. thanks. would do i want for my recovery rom if im using a custom rom?

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2696
Not to sure what your are asking, what recovery do I recommend when using a custom ROM? Personally I would say a custom recovery such as twrp or cwm should always be used but this is a personal choice

retalger
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
A good test would be
adb reboot recovery

Quote:
Not to sure what your are asking, what recovery do I recommend when using a custom ROM? Personally I would say a custom recovery such as twrp or cwm should always be used but this is a personal choice

i understand. thank you. thats just the feedback i was looking for. im a newbie.

manan001
Old
Thanks Meter 307
any future plans to start Cyanogenmod for samsung galaxy grand2 sm-g7102? waiting for some genius to create unlockbootloader and custom recovery and roms for samsung galaxy grand2 sm-g7102?
Ph.Model:
Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102
(Device Name by TWRP :-ms013g)

I want my galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102 super smart.
worked for S2 9100
Worked on galaxy ace as tester for
(Great Guys) S'perience, Nims11 and PSN

you can use the below link as it hasall the scripts for Rom and Kernel wipe.
http://d-h.st/users/ApriliaM3/?fld_id=9253#files

If it helps you please click on thanks

http://manan001.blogspot.in/

BEST CUSTOM KERNEL..
DedS kernel 4.4