XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cast Xbox 360 with a Chromecast to another chromecast on TV

Tip us?

tonyperez0
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [Q] Cast Xbox 360 with a Chromecast to another chromecast on TV

Is it possible to Cast from a Chromecast?

Ever since I heard of the Chromecast, the first thing I thought of is "Now I have an xbox in every room in the house!" My thought is to plug in a Chromecast to the back of an Xbox (or PS3) and plug in another to whatever tv I want to play it on.

Of course I have to find out how to make the Chromecast transmit instead of receive. Not sure if its even possible though. The Idea of a truly wireless xbox where all you do is plug it in and its wireless internet and video signal?! That's too juicy to pass up.

Thoughts anyone?

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyperez0 View Post

Ever since I heard of the Chromecast, the first thing I thought of is "Now I have an xbox in every room in the house!" My thought is to plug in a Chromecast to the back of an Xbox (or PS3) and plug in another to whatever tv I want to play it on.

Of course I have to find out how to make the Chromecast transmit instead of receive. Not sure if its even possible though. The Idea of a truly wireless xbox where all you do is plug it in and its wireless internet and video signal?! That's too juicy to pass up.

Thoughts anyone?

No!
It's not meant to take input only output signal through HDMI.
besides it would never work for playing games anyway with the inherent delay and lag of the video.

drivenby
Old
Thanks Meter 314
This is a very outrageous topic tbqh

That's like asking a diesel car to accept regular gas, just because

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

timzentu
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyperez0 View Post

Thoughts anyone?

You could do this with a SlingBox, but it would have to much latency.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

gottahavit
Old
Thanks Meter 51
This is what you are trying to do, there's a reason these thing cost nearly 200 bucks. You aren't going to get that out of your 2 35 dollar chromecasts, and if you did it wouldn't work 1/10 as well.

There are better wireless hdmis but this is one of the smallest profile ones. FYI I do not use these as anything in my house that does not move around frequently get wired, both HDMI and Network, but if you're in need of wireless hdmi this looks like your best bet.

http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transmi...298718-8574607

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavit View Post
This is what you are trying to do, there's a reason these thing cost nearly 200 bucks. You aren't going to get that out of your 2 35 dollar chromecasts, and if you did it wouldn't work 1/10 as well.
Most definitely ^THIS^

A wireless connection will always have some amount of delay, and less delay requires more bandwidth and/or faster processing as using compression also introduces delay for compression at the source and decompression at the receiver.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

hannibal888
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Nyrius to Chromecast?

How about casting from your Nyrius device to a Chromecast?

Or anyone know of an equivalent Nyrius that's compatible with Chromecast? i'd love to get rid of some cables.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannibal888 View Post
How about casting from your Nyrius device to a Chromecast?

Or anyone know of an equivalent Nyrius that's compatible with Chromecast? i'd love to get rid of some cables.
They're really different animals.

The paired ends are important.

The best analogy I can come up with is, unfortunately, video.

You can run "video over a Cat5 cable" primarily two ways:
  • video over IP, which requires digitization of the video, compression, network packetization, then transfer over the network, and decompression of the video on the other end, and output
  • video over a balun, which essentially just uses the Cat5 cable not as a network cable, but just as a cable. It's not a network signal on the cable, and it can't be routed, switched, etc.

Chromecast falls into the first category, which is more limited in terms of what it can do on the connection.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hannibal888
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
They're really different animals.

The paired ends are important.

The best analogy I can come up with is, unfortunately, video.

You can run "video over a Cat5 cable" primarily two ways:
  • video over IP, which requires digitization of the video, compression, network packetization, then transfer over the network, and decompression of the video on the other end, and output
  • video over a balun, which essentially just uses the Cat5 cable not as a network cable, but just as a cable. It's not a network signal on the cable, and it can't be routed, switched, etc.

Chromecast falls into the first category, which is more limited in terms of what it can do on the connection.
I think I grasp the concept. Although, if a googlebox were to be made, compatible with chromecast, I would definitely buy it for my systems.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannibal888 View Post
I think I grasp the concept. Although, if a googlebox were to be made, compatible with chromecast, I would definitely buy it for my systems.
Nothing stops them or even someone else from doing so.

It's just the HDMI input hardware and encoding horsepower (probably a hardware encoder) that would be necessary. And of course an app to tell Chromecast where to source the video stream.
Likely the most difficult part would be making it HDCP compliant, as the incoming HDMI would need to be decoded and compressed in the digital space, which is the "no-no zone" for HDCP.

With multiple encoder devices, you could even use Chromecast to switch between multiple video inputs, or as a round-robin surveillance viewer, though there would be a delay when switching between sources.

Tags
chromecast, ps3, xbox