FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Such bad luck with recoveries

410 posts
Thanks Meter: 139
 
By Corwinder, Senior Member on 23rd March 2014, 04:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ok, I've tried several different roms and I always back up. I've used Oudhs, Clocworkmod and TWRP. No matter which one I back up with I never have any luck on restore. They all seem to restore ok but I get stuck in boot loops everytime. Factory reset doesn't help. Wiping caches don't help. This is just beginning to really drive me nuts. I don't really mind having to reinstall everything but jeez I just wish I knew what the deal was. I never had trouble on my Motorola Defy or my Galaxy S2 but I sure can't seem to get anywhere on the S4
 
 
23rd March 2014, 04:51 AM |#2  
Alex9090's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 624
 
More
It happens sometimes to me. When I get stuck after restoring nandroid, I get back into recovery and reflash the kernel and it boots the device. I am using philz recovery and its been working great.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex9090 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Alex9090 Ad-Free
23rd March 2014, 04:52 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Houston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 119
 
More
Have you tried PhilzTouch yet?
23rd March 2014, 04:58 AM |#4  
Corwinder's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Altamont, KS
Thanks Meter: 139
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex9090

It happens sometimes to me. When I get stuck after restoring nandroid, I get back into recovery and reflash the kernel and it boots the device. I am using philz recovery and its been working great.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalec

Have you tried PhilzTouch yet?

Never used philz and never thought of just reflashing the kernel. I may try that though. Now to find the kernel. I should mention that I end up using Odin to reflash stock. Then I root and then custom recovery. That boots fine and for the most part all I'm ever doing is trying to restore a 4.4 rom I backed up.

Flashing a kernel worked. lol my phone doesn't think it's the stock kernel but it booted at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corwinder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Corwinder Ad-Free
23rd March 2014, 08:23 PM |#5  
Corwinder's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Altamont, KS
Thanks Meter: 139
 
More
I do find this interesting. I would think when you restore a nandroid backup that it would restore the kernel that was with the rom you are restoring. I guess this isn't the case?
24th March 2014, 12:35 AM |#6  
Android_Monsters's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1,496
 
More
Using the latest clockwork has always worked for me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Android_Monsters For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Android_Monsters Ad-Free
24th March 2014, 12:38 AM |#7  
Android_Monsters's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 1,496
 
More
I use ROM manager premium, as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395617876403.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	2646507  
The Following User Says Thank You to Android_Monsters For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Android_Monsters Ad-Free
24th March 2014, 12:49 AM |#8  
Corwinder's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Altamont, KS
Thanks Meter: 139
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android_Monsters

I use ROM manager premium, as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I've had Rom Manager Premium since my Defy days. I'm a firm believer in it. I was just surprised I would have to reflash a kernel after restoring a rom.
24th March 2014, 06:49 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Everett WA
Thanks Meter: 64
 
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwinder

Ok, I've tried several different roms and I always back up. I've used Oudhs, Clocworkmod and TWRP. No matter which one I back up with I never have any luck on restore. They all seem to restore ok but I get stuck in boot loops everytime. Factory reset doesn't help. Wiping caches don't help. This is just beginning to really drive me nuts. I don't really mind having to reinstall everything but jeez I just wish I knew what the deal was. I never had trouble on my Motorola Defy or my Galaxy S2 but I sure can't seem to get anywhere on the S4

I use OUDHs Touch recovery v1.0.3.3 in conjunction with Rom Manager and I have NEVER had that problem. Also, when I use Rom Manager to "Back Up Current Rom" I can NAME the backup file, and it goes into the recovery and uses the filename I have already typed in and it's a seamless operation. Even using restore via Rom Manager works seamlessly and it has NEVER balked on me.

The only time I had a problem was once using My Backup Pro and trying to do an on-line system backup. MMS, SMS, Call Log has always been absolutely perfect! No out of sequence messages, and all the pictures are restored correctly too!

Aloha and Good Luck!
BTW, I am on a Stock 4.2.2 with the latest M919UVUFNB4 (modem.bin) Flashed for the radio and it's reception qualities are better than it's ever been before!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes