5,598,011 Members 40,967 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Disappearing KNOX? What am I seeing here?

Tip us?

FallenZen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Default [Q] Disappearing KNOX? What am I seeing here?

Okay, so this is very strange and I can't decide yet if I want to poke around further so I'd like some input. I received the OTA update to 4.3 nearly 2 weeks ago and it made a HUGE mess of things. Took me a week's worth of tinkering and researching to figure out how to fix it. After numerous failed attempts to re-root and reflash using old and new techniques (and nearly bricking myself when I discovered that sweet little gem known as KNOX), I finally managed to get everything sorted thanks predominately to this incredibly helpful post by CNexus:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2541900

Anyhow, I've got everything up and going, no pesky KNOX apps that I don't want or need, and things are finally starting to look up.

Now, the strange part. When I enter Download Mode I see the following:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SPH-L710
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (5 counts)
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
Warranty Bit: 1
BOOTLOADER RP SWREV: 1

What I do NOT see is "KNOX Warranty Bit." So I'm having some trouble verifying which bootloader I've got. I know I SHOULD have the KNOX bootloader since I accepted the Official OTA Update (stupid, but I didn't know any better at the time)... But since the moment my phone was restored to functioning status, I have been able to find no mention of KNOX whatsoever... But I'm also not sure where else to look for verification.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is there any way to find out, for certain, exactly what bootloader version I've got?

Oh, and it should be noted that my phone is the Sprint SPH-L710 (Build: L710VPUCMK3), but that my device is flashed to VZW's prepaid network with a Gusto donor. I don't know if that may have impacted bootloader installation or not but figured I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks,
-Zen

CNexus
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 11060

DONATE TO ME
They just named it differently on our device

The "Warranty Bit" thing is bootloader knox, not present on MD4 bootloader
Sign up for the new Copy file storage service with this link and get both of us an extra 5 GB!
Or sign up for Dropbox with this link and we can both grab some extra storage!

The Following User Says Thank You to CNexus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FallenZen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNexus View Post
They just named it differently on our device

The "Warranty Bit" thing is bootloader knox, not present on MD4 bootloader
Thanks for the clarification, CNexus. Seems like they're doing everything they can to be as sneaky as possible here. Oh well, at least if I make a complete recovery file now there's no risk of anything changing when I try to load it since I've already tripped the eFuse.

KentC.
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Anyhow, I've got everything up and going, no pesky KNOX apps that I don't want or need, and things are finally starting to look up.

Now, the strange part. When I enter Download Mode I see the following:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SPH-L710
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (5 counts)
CURRENT BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
Warranty Bit: 1
BOOTLOADER RP SWREV: 1

What I do NOT see is "KNOX Warranty Bit." So I'm having some trouble verifying which bootloader I've got. I know I SHOULD have the KNOX bootloader since I accepted the Official OTA Update (stupid, but I didn't know any better at the time)... But since the moment my phone was restored to functioning status, I have been able to find no mention of KNOX whatsoever... But I'm also not sure where else to look for verification.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is there any way to find out, for certain, exactly what bootloader version I've got?

Oh, and it should be noted that my phone is the Sprint SPH-L710 (Build: L710VPUCMK3), but that my device is flashed to VZW's prepaid network with a Gusto donor. I don't know if that may have impacted bootloader installation or not but figured I'd mention it just in case.

Thanks,
-Zen[/QUOTE]

Zen

I'm currently putting together a guide that's easy to figure out/use for ALL the questions regarding this on my site which I'll add to my blog for everyone that's looking for info regarding the same.

One easy way to figure out the KNOX Warranty info is as follows:

Go to "Google Play Store" and download this app:

Phone INFO *Samsung*

Written specifically for SAMSUNG phones

Version 1.4.6

Copyright 2014 vndnguyen

Nobody online has suggested this till NOW. That will show you the KNOX WARRANTY 0x0 or 0x1

Warranty bit=1 [Means you've voided your warranty via eFuse] 0 = Still valid FULL warranty
Bootloader RP SWREV = 1 [This is what tells your OS to begin which is different then the firmware, this varies, nobody has been able to give a clear explanation, but from what I gather based of PC's, That should stand for : Reserved Partition SoftWare Revision 1]

You're is still untouched due to the fact nothing has been overwritten. Mine is the same so you are safe regarding the bootloader. They have many versions checking online, and that wouldn't be altered by "Rooting". Only flashing/changing the ROM used as your OS should alter that. [I'm not sure on that part as I haven't changed my Stock T-Mobile ROM]

Hope that information above has helped you and anyone else looking. I had to hunt/figure out all this myself.

Kent C.