Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 48,291 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy S4 4.4.2 Updare and Network Issues with Sprint

Tip us?

geerant
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Samsung Galaxy S4 4.4.2 Updare and Network Issues with Sprint

My device: Samsung Galaxy S4 with 4.4.2 (Sprint)
My location: 60193
My issue:
1) In February I received the 4.4.2 OTA update for my Samsung Galaxy S4
2) After that and while in 60193 randomly but takes no more than one hour my phone will lose internet (3G and LTE), must restart the device to get the function back for a short period of time before having to restart again.
3) Also randomly but takes no more than one hour my phone will lose signal and will be unable to make a call, must restart the device to get the function back for a short period of time before having to restart again.
4) Additional information on making calls: phone will sometimes show signal and will just say dialing when making a call (indefinitely), when I press end it will freeze the dialing screen but you can still use the phone (just no internet or phone calls). Must restart the device to get the function back for a short period of time before having to restart again.
5) I have performed all trouble shooting options with Tech both in store on the phone.
6) I have hard reset phone.
7) I have exchanged phone.
8) Still experiencing the same issues.
9) When I am far away from 60193 I do not experience issues.
10) Sprint continues to give me a run around.

I can't post a link, but here is a post that details the run around: Go to the Sprint community forums and search "Samsung Galaxy S4 4.4.2 Network Issue" to see the run around I have received...

Can you help me???

cruise350
Old
Thanks Meter 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by geerant View Post
My device: Samsung Galaxy S4 with 4.4.2 (Sprint)
My location: 60193
My issue:
1) In February I received the 4.4.2 OTA update for my Samsung Galaxy S4
2) After that and while in 60193 randomly but takes no more than one hour my phone will lose internet (3G and LTE), must restart the device to get the function back for a short period of time before having to restart again.
3) Also randomly but takes no more than one hour my phone will lose signal and will be unable to make a call, must restart the device to get the function back for a short period of time before having to restart again.
4) Additional information on making calls: phone will sometimes show signal and will just say dialing when making a call (indefinitely), when I press end it will freeze the dialing screen but you can still use the phone (just no internet or phone calls). Must restart the device to get the function back for a short period of time before having to restart again.
5) I have performed all trouble shooting options with Tech both in store on the phone.
6) I have hard reset phone.
7) I have exchanged phone.
8) Still experiencing the same issues.
9) When I am far away from 60193 I do not experience issues.
10) Sprint continues to give me a run around.

I can't post a link, but here is a post that details the run around: Go to the Sprint community forums and search "Samsung Galaxy S4 4.4.2 Network Issue" to see the run around I have received...

Can you help me???
They are working on the towers in your area. You will just have to be patient until they are done. Could be over a month. The behavior you are describing is definitely tower related.

Sent from my icrap 2 using Tapatalk HD
Phones & Tablets: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 8", Evo 4g LTE, Evo 3D, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Ipad 2, Nabi 2,

Rom: Rooted Stock Odexed, Hotspot Mod, Xposed, Wanum, several other xposed tweaks
Firmware: NAE
Kernel: Stock
TWRP: 2.7.1.0

geerant
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise350 View Post
They are working on the towers in your area. You will just have to be patient until they are done. Could be over a month. The behavior you are describing is definitely tower related.

Sent from my icrap 2 using Tapatalk HD
The thing is... The whole senerio that I described is only happening to people that have an S4 and updated to the 4.4.2 with Sprint. So it is the area, but it is also connected to the Sprint S4 with the 4.4.2 update (no other phones are impacted). Thoughts?

geerant
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Over 165 views... Someone must be experiencing the same thing? Or at least know what is going on?

smarcin
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by geerant View Post
Over 165 views... Someone must be experiencing the same thing? Or at least know what is going on?
I agree with cruise350. If you have tried a different phone, it's likely the towers in your area. FWIW, I am having similar troubles: dial a phone number, my dialer hangs; send text messages and they fail; dropped calls, etc, though I don't have to restart my phone. And, I'm on the original MDC stock ROM, 4.2.2, though rooted. I spent at least half an hour on the phone with tech support yesterday. She had me do ##72786# which initiated a fresh hands-free activation, updated my profile and PRL (which didn't change). Then she started looking at the towers in my area of Minneapolis, and said Sprint was working on 3 of them. Hopefully, they'll be fixed sometime in April. The whole metro area is a mess. Sprint has been promising us LTE for months, but when driving around, a lot of us experience dropped calls, and failed calls. Sometimes you can't even get 3G, though you wouldn't realize it unless you're running an app that will tell you what your signal is. I use Signal Check lite, Advanced Signal, Network Signal Info, and Sensorly, if you're interested. Sometimes I'll actually get a 4G signal. I consider that a blessing. I mostly turn on Wifi when home, otherwise I might not have any data at all. I'm staying with Sprint only because of unlimited data. I'm not a huge user of data. I don't stream stuff very often. But even so, I've used close to a GB of data in 3 weeks. I'd hate to be with a carrier that has a 2GB limit or that slows you to 1X is you go over a their "limit."
Sally