Just got a 7" Kindle Fire HD Demo Unit ...

Search This thread

GameGuru41

May 11, 2012
Dover
www.iosgamingnation.com
and I want to make it a normal Kindle Fire HD. I know I need to root to get rid of the demo software but I want to put the real FireOS on it and have it update normally so how would I go about unrooting it, or do I even have to unroot?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Um if it's a demo unit then it is not rooted, its on it's own demo os, you will need a fastboot cable to get it into fastboot mode so you can flash a normal os onto it. The normal os that get's flashed onto it comes prerooted because in order to make a system image we need root, hence it's got the su binary in the system image. I personally recommend installing a cm based os and 2nd bootloader afterwards if this is a 2012 model(has a camera), the amazon os is kinda limited capability wise.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RichyRich2121

Feb 23, 2014
Same Problem

Um if it's a demo unit then it is not rooted, its on it's own demo os, you will need a fastboot cable to get it into fastboot mode so you can flash a normal os onto it. The normal os that get's flashed onto it comes prerooted because in order to make a system image we need root, hence it's got the su binary in the system image. I personally recommend installing a cm based os and 2nd bootloader afterwards if this is a 2012 model(has a camera), the amazon os is kinda limited capability wise.

Hi All
I have the same issue brought a cheap Demo unit off eBay, just need to restore / re flash to a normal amazon kindle, Yep a Noob ! so simplest terms please .. have a fastboot cable and the kindle screen shows the fastboot logo, (PC_Windows 7 OS) sees the Kindle in my computer, however no other files can be seen. downloaded KffirstAide64, when I run the software, the following appears 'The system cannot find the path specified'
any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I have ever had to use any of the utilities to restore a kindle though I vaguely remember there being a long list of instructions on kffa's post to do before using it, if you haven't done so then follow the directions, or just try kindle fire system restore tool. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951254
Ignore the part on srt's page about the adb command, that's only for if you don't have a fastboot cable and you have adb access.

Last edited:

RichyRich2121

Feb 23, 2014
Still no go

I have he er had to use any of the utilities to restore a kindle though I vaguely remember there being a long lost of instructions on kffa's post to do before using it, if you haven't done so then follow the directions, or just try kindle fire system restore tool. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951254
Ignore the part on srt's page about the adb command, that's only for if you don't have a fastboot cable and you have adb access.

Followed the instructions, still not recognising the device in recovery tool ( < waiting for device> ), any suggestions please?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Check the device manager for a device with a yellow triangle next to it, if you find it then download the drivers in my signature and unzip them somewhere, then in the device manager right click the device with yellow triangle, hit update drivers, point it to where my drivers are and you should be set.

RichyRich2121

Feb 23, 2014
Check the device manager for a device with a yellow triangle next to it, if you find it then download the drivers in my signature and unzip them somewhere, then in the device manager right click the device with yellow triangle, hit update drivers, point it to where my drivers are and you should be set.

OK, now with a fresh head to look at this, installed the drivers and cleared off the DEMO software, The KFHD boots with the KFHD splash screen then imeadiately goes to boot menu.
now the Recovery software runs but states -' The system cannot find the path specified'
'Fastboot is not recognised as an internal or external command'
The KFHD is in fastboot mode as per screen with the factory cable attached to the PC
The KFHD is not recognised in my computer but there is no triangle showing
Any ideas please?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Your recovery software wasn't extracted completely? That error means the fastboot command wasn't ran because windows couldn't find the file specified. If you were running kffa without extracting it that would explain it.

As for the not showing up part, it should show up as a adb device when it is in fastboot. You can always try switching to a normal cable once it is in fastboot. I would try getting the command working first in case its showing up and you aren't seeing it since the command would.

Last edited:

RichyRich2121

Feb 23, 2014
Your recovery software wasn't extracted completely? That error means the fastboot command wasn't ran because windows couldn't find the file specified. If you were running kffa without extracting it that would explain it.

As for the not showing up part, it should show up as a adb device when it is in fastboot. You can always try switching to a normal cable once it is in fastboot. I would try getting the command working first in case its showing up and you aren't seeing it since the command would.

AH HA ! I have the device showing as android ADB interface, now for the silly question, once I have downloaded and extracted kffistaide where should it be located? now it is just in a folder on the desktop, should it be in a specific location? to allow the path to be seen.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
OK just want to verify, you extracted everything from the zip file, not just the batch file that you have to run, right? If that was the case, I also might mention running the script as admin would be a good idea. If this still doesn't work I have another idea of a reason why, had something similar happen to someone I helped and man was the reason weird.

Last edited:

RichyRich2121

Feb 23, 2014
OK just want to verify, you extracted everything from the zip file, not just the batch file that you have to run, right? If that was the case, I also might mention running the script as admin would be a good idea. If this still doesn't work I have another idea of a reason why, had something similar happen to someone I helped and man was the reason weird.

yes all 155 file extracted and placed into a folder n the desktop, the run me file is run as admin

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
OK, shift + right click the folder that everything is extracted to and hit "new command prompt here", or something like that. Downside to what I'm telling Younis I'm not sure if the command promoted will have admin access, but if you know hot to use a command prompt, then feel free to run one as admin and CD into the directory. Anyways type the script name into the command promoted and press enter and try it. I had something like this happen before that didn't make sense but it worked when I did it like this.

RichyRich2121

Feb 23, 2014
OK, shift + right click the folder that everything is extracted to and hit "new command prompt here", or something like that. Downside to what I'm telling Younis I'm not sure if the command promoted will have admin access, but if you know hot to use a command prompt, then feel free to run one as admin and CD into the directory. Anyways type the script name into the command promoted and press enter and try it. I had something like this happen before that didn't make sense but it worked when I did it like this.

Sadly ....
press any key to continue....
the system cannot find the path specified.

am sure this is an odd one ,,,,,,,,,,,,

RichyRich2121

Feb 23, 2014
Maybe its time to give SRT a try.

OK, downloaded and extracted KFHD_SR_v1.2.3
Extracted to folder
KF in Fastboot mode with Factory cable
Run SR Tool in Admin mode
Selec 4 Check Fastboot status - Product Tate-PVT-08
Select 3 Erase Cache an userdata - completed.
Select 1 Restore su only ..............
target reportd max download size f 1006632960 bytes
error: cannot load 'images/system.img' : no error

A bit further than previously but another wall..